Quad TF for APL+WIN 2000
Author Message
 Quad TF for APL+WIN 2000

Hi,

I wonder if APL+WIN 2000 has an equivalent for the Quad TF function
known from IBMAPL. This function takes a variable and returns a
character string. This String can be activated and then results in the
exact same APL Object from which the string was created.

Is this function missing in APL+WIN 2000 or is it just hidden in some
tool workspace? What could I use as an equivalent?

H. Faber

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:42:25 GMT
 Quad TF for APL+WIN 2000

says...

Quote:
> Hi,

> I wonder if APL+WIN 2000 has an equivalent for the Quad TF function
> known from IBMAPL. This function takes a variable and returns a
> character string. This String can be activated and then results in the
> exact same APL Object from which the string was created.

> Is this function missing in APL+WIN 2000 or is it just hidden in some
> tool workspace? What could I use as an equivalent?

> H. Faber

quad-TF is the APL2 "transfer form" which allows you to write APL
material to disk for transfer to another system. In my somewhat older
version of APL+WIN you can get much of the same effect via the user
commands ]IN and ]OUT; with any luck these are still present. There may
also be a chapter in the user manual, called Migrating Applications,
which discusses other options.

--

Phil Viton
Ohio State University

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:39:08 GMT
 Quad TF for APL+WIN 2000
Faber,

I do not know if APL+Win has a QuadTF function.  But, you could get a
similar effect using SCARs.  Look at TOSCAR and FMSCAR in the SCAR
workspace.

David Liebtag
IBM APL Products and Services

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:49:21 GMT
 Quad TF for APL+WIN 2000
Have you tried :

result {comes from} 'wrapl' quadDR 'yourvariable'

which get reversed by

'unwrapl' quadDR result

Tue, 09 Aug 2005 19:43:05 GMT
 Quad TF for APL+WIN 2000
For the record, the same functions are also available in Dyalog APL, as
utility functions in the SQAPL workspace (the SCAR format originated with
the SQAPL/APL Link product family). The names are a bit of a mouthful,
SQAApl2Scar and SQAScar2Apl, but in theory the functions should give you the
ability to transfer data in "binary" form (without loss of performance or
accuracy due to formatting numbers as text) across the three platforms
(APL2, APL+Win, Dyalog APL). There is also a SHARP APL version somewhere,
but I'm not sure where to find it.

Morten

I do not know if APL+Win has a QuadTF function.  But, you could get a
similar effect using SCARs.  Look at TOSCAR and FMSCAR in the SCAR
workspace.

David Liebtag
IBM APL Products and Services

Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:29:00 GMT

1. QUAD-REPL in APL+Win

2. APL+Win: using Quad-NI to connect to web server

3. APL*PLUS ver 5.2 run under Win 2000?

4. ASCII APL (Submission to APL Quote-Quad) *LONG*

5. Win NT or Win 2000 Server?

6. Max Connections to Win NT workstation / Win 2000 pro

7. Win 2000 and Win XP

8. active x made on win95 won't run on win 2000/xp

9. Net::HTTP win 98 vs win 2000 proff

10. Realia 4.x programs won't run on Win 2000 RC2

11. Realia 4.x programs won't run on Win 2000 RC2

12. Arriving Soon in APL Quote Quad