The First APL Teletype
Author Message
 The First APL Teletype

This discussion about terminals of the seventies reminded me of the time
in the mid-seventies when I was given the first prototype APL terminal
from Teletype Corp. for evaluation. A representative of Teletype drove
with the terminal to Paoli, Pennsylvania from Skokie, Illinois. The
initial demonstration was going quite well until I turned on the paper
tape unit. I then noticed that the paper tape seemed to sometimes go
backwards. I pointed out this oddity to the representative who calmly
stated, "But how else are you going to get the overstrikes onto the paper
tape?"

--

Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Teletype's Finest Hour

2. APL as First Language for CS

3. I-APL, Vanguard APL, and APL.68000

4. awk first word on first line

5. first post, first UCBlogo & MW2 thoughts

6. first setup, first login?

7. breadth-first vs depth-first...

8. pythonic way of depth first and breadth first tree iterators

9. Trying to hire APL and DYALOG APL for Dallas

10. Converting Dyalog APL Multiple Assignments to APL*PLUS

11. Special Functions for APL (and making APL atractive for Science)

12. APL! (APL bang)