Employment opportunity in APL field?
Author Message
 Employment opportunity in APL field?

When I was in school, which was about a year and half ago, I used to work
for a professor, programming in APL. It was such a fun and convenient
language, that I worked for that professor for over three years, and
became quite fluent in it. I've always wanted to know
about employment opportunity in this field, but don't know
where to look for until I found this bboard. I would appreciate any info
on this subject. Thanks.

Weixiong Li

Sat, 08 Jul 1995 03:07:44 GMT
 Employment opportunity in APL field?
Quote:

>When I was in school, which was about a year and half ago, I used to work
>for a professor, programming in APL. It was such a fun and convenient
>language, that I worked for that professor for over three years, and
>became quite fluent in it. I've always wanted to know
>about employment opportunity in this field, but don't know
>where to look for until I found this bboard. I would appreciate any info
>on this subject. Thanks.

 Most people I know of who think of themselves as APL programmers
 fit into one of the following catagories:

 1. They write application programs for clients, but also know alot
    about other programming languages.  Often these people don't have a
    alot of formal education, but know alot about practical things in
    addition to APL, like Paradox, DBase, SQL etc. Many of these individuals
    make their living as consultants. Here in SF, I'd say the salary range
    for non-consultants is $25K - $45K. I don't know about consultants.
    There are a few head hunters for this group of programmers who
    work out of Chicago.

 2. People writting applications for their company or department
    in large corporations. People in this group usually know alot
    about what they are modeling and it is this knowledge, not
    their programming capabilities, which is their meal ticket.
    Actuaries and engineers (your teacher), for example, fall into this
    catagory.  I'd say the salary range would be $27K-$60K. Too much
    more than $55K and they probably aren't spending most of their
    time programming.

 3. People who know alot about APL programming language design who
    can write APL things like interpreters in C, and who can also implement
    convoluted algorithms using APL constructs.  This group includes
    employees of companies like Manugistics, IBM, Sharp, and and ISI.

 Consultants in group 1 often seek work by advertizing in programming
 publications, with non-consultants starting out with "low paying
 assignments" but doing better financially as their programs
 become more essential to the operation of a company. People in group 2 use
 their industry contacts when seeking employment or seek employment via
 a recriuter (knowledge of SAS or other general mathematical software is
 also very marketable).  People in 3 are either very lucky (as in having only
 a bachelors degree and getting to work on this stuff with a mentor)
 or very educated, as in Phd. Piled higher and deeper -:)

 I hope to fit into group 2.

 Is my experience like others'?

 Emmett,

Sat, 08 Jul 1995 10:06:24 GMT
 Employment opportunity in APL field?

Quote:

> Is my experience like others'?

Morgan Stanley has made extensive use of APL to the extent of writing its
own interpreter called 'A'. IBM once identified Morgan Stanley as the
world's largest APL programming shop. There are some notable APL 'gurus'
at APL and (while I was there) at least one APL gadfly. The people there
like me were Ph. D. scientists who did all their own programming, and APL
(and later 'A') was what was provided. In my present firm, the group I
am in uses _no_ APL, but the people 'across the hall' make extensive use
of Dyalog APL.

I had some tangential involvement in the development of the 'A' interpreter,
and had (at the time I left the firm) some significant understanding of the
implementation. At one point, Chuck Haspel (a significant APL guru) and I
proposed a control structure for the 'A' language but it was not adopted,
as by that time programmers from other parts of the division we were in
were demanding a Lisp-looking case statement. Curiously enough, My first
brush with Splus was at Morgan Stanley, and I really haven't had to look
back to APL yet.

I think that several large financial/investment firms use lots of APL,
including some groups at Salomon and Merrill {*filter*}, although I am not
totally certain of this.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

Sun, 09 Jul 1995 03:52:50 GMT

1. APL employment opportunities sought

2. APL employment opportunity

3. S: APL employment opportunity

4. Paradox and APL*PLUS II (Or APL+WIN) and Memo Fields

5. Employment Opportunities with JumpStart Systems Inc.

6. Employment opportunity at Wall Street firm

7. Employment Opportunity

8. Employment Opportunity with Soliton Associates

9. Employment opportunities in Omaha, NE

10. $$$$ Employment Opportunities $$$$

11. Employment Opportunity

12. Employment Opportunity