APLASCII Transliteration Summary
Author Message
 APLASCII Transliteration Summary

If you would like to post APL code in comp.lang.apl, one way of
representing APL symbols is by enclosing the symbol or function name in
braces, as in {rho} or {shape}.  This method has several advantages over
alternative schemes:

1.  The transliteration is fairly obvious even to those who haven't seen
it before.  You don't need a translate table or a reference sheet to
tell what's being said.

2.  The mapping from APL to ASCII is completely reversible.  Any
arbitrary text consisting of ASCII and standard APL symbols can be
translated to ASCII and back to APL without loss or alteration.  There
are no reserved words or symbols.

3.  The translation scheme recognizes that not everyone will want to use
the same keyword for a given symbol (e.g., {decode} vs. {basevalue}).
You can use whatever symbol or function name you are accustomed to.

   Programs to perform this translation automatically are available in a
workspace named APLASCII.  Utility functions in this workspace will also
insert function listings into a message or extract programs from a
message, defining them in the workspace.  The APLASCII workspace is
available via anonymous ftp from watserv1.waterloo.edu, in directory
languages/apl/workspaces/aplascii.  Currently, versions are available
for APL*PLUS/PC, APL*PLUS II/386, and APL2.

                                                Jim

Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:11:22 GMT
 APLASCII Transliteration Summary

Quote:

>If you would like to post APL code in comp.lang.apl,
>one way of  representing APL symbols is by enclosing
>the symbol or function name in  braces, as in {rho} or
>{shape}.  This method has several advantages over  . . .
>   Programs to perform this translation automatically
>are available in a  workspace named APLASCII. . .

Have had good success using your A2A workspaces
for transliteration of APL2 functions,
but what I downloaded several
weeks ago was described as a beta version.

Is the current version still beta?
Believe it had an April or May date.  I tweaked it
with a couple of cover functions, READMAIL and
WRITEMAIL which made it more convenient to use,
at least for me.         Lew Robinson

Tue, 25 Mar 1997 03:15:04 GMT

1. Updated APLASCII workspaces

2. J. Weigang's APLASCII format..

3. Problem using APLASCII

4. APLASCII format of singleton nested arrays

5. APLASCII 1.3 released

6. APLASCII 1.4 released

7. APLASCII v1.3 update

8. APLASCII update