J on Palmtops
Author Message
 J on Palmtops

I've just received my copy of J ver 4 and am intrigued by it.  I'm considering
the purchase of a plamtop computer such as the HP95LX or Poqet.  Has anyone
in this newsgroup tried J/PC on one of these machines?  If so, was performance
adequate?  If tried on the HP95, how does J work with the 40 column screen?
Thanks,

Steven H. Rogers
Industrial Engineering
Oklahoma University

Tue, 16 Aug 1994 03:54:31 GMT
 J on Palmtops

Quote:
>I've just received my copy of J ver 4 and am intrigued by it.  I'm considering
>the purchase of a plamtop computer such as the HP95LX or Poqet.  Has anyone
>in this newsgroup tried J/PC on one of these machines?  If so, was performance
>adequate?  If tried on the HP95, how does J work with the 40 column screen?

Eugene McDonnell had J running on an HP 95LX at APL91 last summer. He
was quite pleased with it. I have forwarded your posting to him,
and will attempt to post his reply, if any.

Bob

Snake Island Research Inc  (416) 368-6944   FAX: (416) 360-4694
18 Fifth Street, Ward's Island
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2B9
Canada

Fri, 19 Aug 1994 03:48:16 GMT
 J on Palmtops

Quote:

>>I've just received my copy of J ver 4 and am intrigued by it.  I'm considering
>>the purchase of a plamtop computer such as the HP95LX or Poqet.  Has anyone
>>in this newsgroup tried J/PC on one of these machines?  If so, was performance
>>adequate?  If tried on the HP95, how does J work with the 40 column screen?

>Eugene McDonnell had J running on an HP 95LX at APL91 last summer. He
>was quite pleased with it. I have forwarded your posting to him,
>and will attempt to post his reply, if any.

    HP has just come out with an ungraded version of their 95LX
"palmtop" computer, bringing the RAM up to 1 MB. (Check out the
comments in comp.sys.palmtops.) I too was intrigued by the idea
of running J on a superportable platform ( 6.25" x 3.5" x 1")
and am now trying it out. So far:
   (1) It does work. I ftp'ed the waterloo PC j version 4.0 to
a Sun SPARC. Transffered from there by the serial cable into the
95LX using kermit, the j.exe file does run without any obvious
problems. Of course, J thinks it has 80 columns and the 95LX has
only 40. You can scroll over to see the other columns, but it
would be nice to have a version of J that just used 40 columns.
   (2) It is *not* fast. Now J is not fast on a SPARC, but on
a 95 you can go for a cup of coffee while it inverts a 3 x 3
matrix. So don't count on using this setup for much in the way
of computation. On the other hand, there is something odd about
the 95 in that is seems to run several times faster when powered
by an AC adapter than by its AA cells. Haven't figured that out
yet.
   (3) With the 1 MB RAM, the 248 KB that J uses leaves plenty
of room for whatever else you want run on the 95. It is perfect
for working your way through the examples in Iverson books. So
now you can use those wasted hours in airports, etc. learning J.
And when you discover some wonderful idioms, you can transfer
the workspace - just a text file - into a real computer and go
from there.
                                       Pat Harrington

Wed, 31 Aug 1994 06:16:06 GMT
 J on Palmtops

Quote:
J. Patrick Harrington writes:
> ...  J thinks it has 80 columns and the 95LX has
> only 40.  You can scroll over to see the other columns, but it
> would be nice to have a version of J that just used 40 columns.

We expect to work on the PC session manager soon, and will look at making
the width a start-up parameter.  It appears feasible.

------------------------------------
Roger Hui, Iverson Software Inc., 33 Major Street, Toronto, Ontario  M5S 2K9
Phone: (416) 925 6096;  Fax: (416) 488 7559

Sat, 03 Sep 1994 00:41:45 GMT

1. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

2. js.exception 3279.js

3. APL on the HP-100LX palmtop

4. APL2 on HP100LX Palmtop

5. Problem transfering clarion files from palmtop to windows

6. HP Palmtop, or other PDA

7. Forth for Win CE Palmtops?

8. About Palmtops and forth

9. Palmtops in one hand and forth another hand

10. Question on palmtops

11. Pygmy for the HP 100LX palmtop

12. Forth on HP Palmtop