branching in proposed ISO standard
Author Message
 branching in proposed ISO standard

Perhaps I'm blind, but I can't find any sort of flow control structures in
the latest draft of the ISO Apl proposal.  Could someone please either
explain why it isn't there or exactly where it is, if it is in it?  I'm reading
it from the postscript file I got from watserv with a PS viewer.

Thanks,
        Alan

--
                        Alan Baljeu
This signature is.

Mon, 10 Jul 1995 05:37:53 GMT
 branching in proposed ISO standard

|>Perhaps I'm blind, but I can't find any sort of flow control structures in
|>the latest draft of the ISO Apl proposal.

        If you mean the Branch arrow, that's still there.  It's mostly
in chapters 5 & 6, where it was in IS 8485.  For example, section 6.1.6 on
statement analysis mentions it.

        If you mean things like if-then-else, and such, they aren't intended
to be there.  I'm not aware of any APL implementations that include them, and
I don't recall proposals for them.

Mark

Mon, 10 Jul 1995 23:54:58 GMT
 branching in proposed ISO standard

|>   If you mean things like if-then-else, and such, they aren't intended
|> to be there.  I'm not aware of any APL implementations that include them, and
|> I don't recall proposals for them.

Actually there have been some in the literature. I like the ideas of
FHD van Batenburg, APL91 regarding dyadic .goto. J has some as well.

--
Sam Sirlin

Tue, 11 Jul 1995 08:16:26 GMT
 branching in proposed ISO standard

Quote:

>|>       If you mean things like if-then-else, and such, they aren't intended
>|> to be there.  I'm not aware of any APL implementations that include them, and
>|> I don't recall proposals for them.
>Actually there have been some in the literature. I like the ideas of
>FHD van Batenburg, APL91 regarding dyadic .goto. J has some as well.

Yes, that fine article has received a lot of attention, and it is not
the is not the only one on the subject.  But I think that the meaning
of "proposal" intended by Mark in this context is somewhat more
formal.  The work of the ISO APL Working Group in the development of
Committee Draft 1, (now available by anonymous ftp from
watserv1.uwaterloo.ca), has been to work from proposals that were
submissions from various national standards bodies.  I suspect that it
was these proposals that Mark was referring to.  Readers will likely be
interested to know that the ISO APL Working Group restricted itself to
adding only features to the previous standard that exit in current
implementations.  This is not a rule that other programming language
standards groups have stuck to, and it is not clear that the APL group
will stick to it in the future.  So, in this context, and with the
exception of Quad-EA, there were no proposals on "if-then-else" or
"while-do", or other control structures.

I would like add that the subject of structuring APL code is currently
one of great interest, and that several people have been working and
writing on it.  I believe that it is likely that more than one
paper presented at APL93 will be on this topic.

Lee{*filter*}ey

--
Prof. Leroy J.{*filter*}ey, Faculty of Mathematics, U of Waterloo, Canada  N2L 3G1

Tue, 11 Jul 1995 21:11:56 GMT
 branching in proposed ISO standard

standard:

 I haven't fetched the newest draft yet, but assuming it hasn't changed in any
unintended way, look at section 6.3.13 (Process-End-of-Statement). You'll see
that two of the possible four patterns involve branches; one returns ESCAPE for
the 'niladic' branch-arrow, the other returns a BRANCH for 'monadic'
branch-arrow. The upshot is that branching hasn't changed from the previous
standard.

 By the way, inquiries about the proposed ISO standard should properly be
addressed to the mailing-list at the following address:

.../Leigh

 Make haste, therefore, sweet love, whilest it is prime
 For none can call again the passed time.
                 Edmund Spenser

Thu, 13 Jul 1995 07:23:21 GMT

1. Experimental Protocols As In Proposed ANSI Standard

2. Questions On Proposed Standard (longish)

3. Proposed ANSI Standard new Messages?

4. Copies of proposed standard?

5. Proposed I/O Standard

6. Number 2 of five Mailings of Proposed BSI Standard I/O Library

7. Revised Proposed IO Standard

8. Proposed I/O Standards

9. Draft of proposed REXX Standard

10. Proposed new standard IO library - 1 of 7

11. real number format in proposed standard

12. Proposed new Standard IO library - summary