APL employment opportunity
Author Message
 APL employment opportunity

The APL Group, Inc., Wilton, CT
===============================

We have a full-time position open for an experienced
programmer/analyst to work on the maintenance and continued
development of our DOS (APL*PLUS/PC) and Windows (DyalogAPL) EDI
translators.  The position requires a fluency in APL and a general
knowledge of the overall technical environment, including Windows,
OLE, TAPI, MAPI, SQL, relational databases, ODBC, PC hardware and
popular business software.  There is some customer contact.    A
knowledge of C/C++ and/or commercial business application experience
is a plus.  Salary is commensurate with experience.

The APL Group, Inc. is a rapidly growing company located in
southwestern Connecticut specializing in EDI (Electronic Data
Interchange).  EDI involves the transfer of information normally
contained in paper documents (such as purchase orders, invoices,
college transcripts, bills of lading) from one computer to another
with the data labeled and organized in accordance with national
(ANSI X12) and international (UN/EDIFACT) standards.  We have a
consulting division which guides large and small business and
government entities in the implementation and integration of their
EDI plans.  President Clinton has issued a proclamation requiring
all Federal purchases under $25,000 to be made using EDI by the end
of 1997.  We have an educational division operating generic EDI
training on both the East and West coasts and at individual company
locations.  We have presented workshops for the Small Business
Administration in 25 cities across the U.S.  Our EDI translation
software, Qualedi, is sold nationwide to companies of all sizes in
many industries, including trucking, retail, grocery, manufacturing,
and government.

Director of Development, The APL Group, Inc., 644 Danbury Road,
Wilton, CT 06897.

Sun, 11 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL employment opportunity

Quote:

> The APL Group, Inc. is a rapidly growing company located in
> southwestern Connecticut specializing in EDI (Electronic Data
> Interchange).  EDI involves the transfer of information normally
> contained in paper documents (such as purchase orders, invoices,
> college transcripts, bills of lading) from one computer to another
> with the data labeled and organized in accordance with national
> (ANSI X12) and international (UN/EDIFACT) standards.  We have a
> consulting division which guides large and small business and
> government entities in the implementation and integration of their
> EDI plans.  President Clinton has issued a proclamation requiring
> all Federal purchases under $25,000 to be made using EDI by the end
> of 1997.  We have an educational division operating generic EDI
> training on both the East and West coasts and at individual company
> locations.  We have presented workshops for the Small Business
> Administration in 25 cities across the U.S.  Our EDI translation
> software, Qualedi, is sold nationwide to companies of all sizes in
> many industries, including trucking, retail, grocery, manufacturing,
> and government.

Am I correct in assuming that this "Qualedi" is an APL application ?

I would say that APL and J are excelent tools for EDI.

There is a big mistique around EDI but if you dig under the covers
a little bit then you discover that all there is to it is a simple
translation of text from one form to the other.

The official EDI is following official standards but any interchange
of data where when computer sends data off to another computer and
the receiver knows how to interpret the data is EDI.

There is a huge market for these kind of applications because most of
the data people are typing into computers is computergenerated.

It is of course easy to follow the official standards because then
you can just quote the number of the standard to the other party
in order to begin to exchange data.

There are a number of EDI standards available some of which are
ready for use.

It is of course easy to send a few lines of J together with the
document you are sending and all the receiver would need is to
have jrt.exe installed. As jrt.exe is free of charge there is nothing
stopping you building the EDI connection on J.

I am sure it would speed up the acceptance of EDI to use J as part of
the standard proceedures. Add a few lines of J in the EDI document.
Because there is no problem with J characters this would be a very
good way of transmitting data.

The Lines of J would do whatever there is needed to translate the
document into whatever form the receiver wants. J could do this
and depending on the environment it would be running in J could also
inform the user about some issues related to the document in easy
to use fashion. In popup windows if the user has windows and ask
the user for interaction if needed in forms.

--

http://www2.simi.is/~gosi
http://www.jsoftware.com

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL employment opportunities sought

2. S: APL employment opportunity

3. Employment opportunity in APL field?

4. Employment Opportunities with JumpStart Systems Inc.

5. Employment opportunity at Wall Street firm

6. Employment Opportunity

7. Employment Opportunity with Soliton Associates

8. Employment opportunities in Omaha, NE

9. $$$$ Employment Opportunities $$$$

10. Employment Opportunity

11. Employment Opportunity

12. Employment Opportunity For Clarion Programmer