Help with an "unknown" APL2 symbol
Author Message
 Help with an "unknown" APL2 symbol

Help ! While trying to adapt for APL+WIN a function written in APL2, from a
barely legible faxed sheet, I met that symbol that looks like the capital
letter "O" or the APL  symbol for PI. Actually, the expression is : TxO.iota
N, where T and N are scalars, and "x" stands for the multiply sign.  It
looks like an outer product. Anybody knows what that symbol means in APL2,
or is it just a quirk due to the fax machine ? Thanks. Pierre Windal.

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with an "unknown" APL2 symbol

Quote:

> Help ! While trying to adapt for APL+WIN a function written in APL2, from a
> barely legible faxed sheet, I met that symbol that looks like the capital
> letter "O" or the APL  symbol for PI. Actually, the expression is : TxO.iota
> N, where T and N are scalars, and "x" stands for the multiply sign.  It

I think you have a fax problem.  T{times}{circle}.{iota}Z and
T{times}{nul}.{iota}Z are both invalud expressions in APL2.  Note:
{circle} is the large circle (pi when monadic) and {nul} is the small
circle (as used in outer product).

What is the expression supposed to do?

Ted

Thu, 13 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with an "unknown" APL2 symbol

Quote:
> > letter "O" or the APL  symbol for PI. Actually, the expression is : TxO.iota
> > N, where T and N are scalars, and "x" stands for the multiply sign.  It
> I think you have a fax problem.  T{times}{circle}.{iota}Z and

A further thought:  perhaps the "." is a fax artifact.  If so, the
expresion becomes T{times}{pi-times}{iota}N to give T times intergral
multiples of pi.  Such an expression arises frequently in anything to do
with spectra.

Ted

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. "unknown" command HELP

2. "entry-level" APL2 for OS/2

3. APL2: "/" as Function

4. Unknown Variable "%AppTemplateFamily"

5. ERROR "Corrupt Block/Unknown Block Freed"

6. ANYONE ELSE GETTING "UNKNOWN" NEWS POSTINGS

7. CP shows "Unknown Image Format"

8. +define+unknown="'bx" chokes verilog

9. "Unknown Command: -quiet" in mingw

10. PTUI problem, "lifo::lifo": unknown namespace

11. Problems with "unknown" procedure

12. "unknown" command usage