APL to Excel
Author Message
 APL to Excel

I am having problems finding out the correct DDE commands to give Excel
from within an APL+Win program.  APL2000 says that this info is needed
from Microsoft, yet Microsoft hardly uses DDE anymore since ActiveX is
the new big thing.  I am using Excel 97 and APL+Win 3.6.  I know the
basics on how to open a workbook and such.  I am looking for more
advanced things like creating a new sheet.  Please do not send me any
Excel 4.0 commands since they do not work.

Thanks,

Matt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 APL to Excel
Hi,

Here is an example for what you want to do.

'ExcelForm.ed1' ?wi 'ddeTopic' 'EXCEL|TEST'
=>where TEST is the name of your SpreadSheet.

'ExcelForm.ed1' ?wi 'ddeItem' 'CellName'
=>CellName is a the name of the cell. Instead of saying A1 give a name
to the cell.(It's better)

'ExcelForm.ed1' ?wi 'ddeMode' 'cold'
=>Method of sending. HOT or COLD. HOT means that every time edit ed1
changes, the cell 'CellName' will be changed automaticaly.COLD means
that you need to do it manualy.

'ExcelForm.ed1' ?wi 'DdePoke'
=>Send the contents of ed1 to Excel

This is working with Excel 2000, I am using it.
Hope it will be helpfull for you.

Richard LAUTH
DynaSys France
www.dys.com

Envoy : mercredi 20 septembre 2000 17:21

Objet : APL to Excel

I am having problems finding out the correct DDE commands to give Excel
from within an APL+Win program.  APL2000 says that this info is needed
from Microsoft, yet Microsoft hardly uses DDE anymore since ActiveX is
the new big thing.  I am using Excel 97 and APL+Win 3.6.  I know the
basics on how to open a workbook and such.  I am looking for more
advanced things like creating a new sheet.  Please do not send me any
Excel 4.0 commands since they do not work.

Thanks,

Matt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 APL to Excel
I use functions to communicate from APL to Excel (and reverse) using COM
objects with []WI access.
Quote:

> I am having problems finding out the correct DDE commands to give Excel
> from within an APL+Win program.  APL2000 says that this info is needed
> from Microsoft, yet Microsoft hardly uses DDE anymore since ActiveX is
> the new big thing.  I am using Excel 97 and APL+Win 3.6.  I know the
> basics on how to open a workbook and such.  I am looking for more
> advanced things like creating a new sheet.  Please do not send me any
> Excel 4.0 commands since they do not work.

> Thanks,

> Matt

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 APL to Excel
Did my suggestions in the e-mail I sent you help? FYI...I'm presenting a
paper at the APL2000 conference in November in Orlando, FL (see
http://www.apl2000.com) on using APL and Excel...
Quote:

> I am having problems finding out the correct DDE commands to give Excel
> from within an APL+Win program.  APL2000 says that this info is needed
> from Microsoft, yet Microsoft hardly uses DDE anymore since ActiveX is
> the new big thing.  I am using Excel 97 and APL+Win 3.6.  I know the
> basics on how to open a workbook and such.  I am looking for more
> advanced things like creating a new sheet.  Please do not send me any
> Excel 4.0 commands since they do not work.

> Thanks,

> Matt

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 APL to Excel

Quote:

> Did my suggestions in the e-mail I sent you help? FYI...I'm
> presenting a paper at the APL2000 conference in November in
> Orlando, FL (see http://www.apl2000.com) on using APL and
> Excel...

Kevin can correct me where I am wrong, but my recollection is
that in around 1985 Kevin was responsible for an APL based
mainframe application called Execucalc, which in the days where
most business applications (pardon me, but I guess I should be
with it and say "enterprise applications") were also mainframe
based gave a great many people their first opportunity of working
in a spreadsheet environment.

--

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 APL to Excel

In fact, there are still a few companies running that thing on their
mainframe under VSAPL.  WOW!

We've come a long way since then with both APL and Excel (and Lotus, of
course).

Quote:

> > Did my suggestions in the e-mail I sent you help? FYI...I'm
> > presenting a paper at the APL2000 conference in November in
> > Orlando, FL (see http://www.apl2000.com) on using APL and
> > Excel...

> Kevin can correct me where I am wrong, but my recollection is
> that in around 1985 Kevin was responsible for an APL based
> mainframe application called Execucalc, which in the days where
> most business applications (pardon me, but I guess I should be
> with it and say "enterprise applications") were also mainframe
> based gave a great many people their first opportunity of working
> in a spreadsheet environment.

> --

Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 APL to Excel

> Ah, what a memory, Mr. Ryan.

Well, if we're going to get into memory stuff I can vividly
recall the first time I saw Kevin, and if my memory is really in
good order that was in 1970 or 1971 at the ACM sponsored Joint
Computer Conference in Atlantic City where Kevin, I think still
in his {*filter*}s, was standing alongside of Al Rose and Ed Garner,
demonstrating APL at STSC's booth.

It was at this same conference that a group called APL Manhattan
also had a booth from which they were demonstrating APL. At the
time STSC and I. P. Sharp shared a computer in Toronto and I
somehow thought that APL Manhattan was another partner. Anyhow,
the fellow from APL Manhattan was having difficulty connecting
his 2741 and concluded that he had forgotten his account number.
I piped up, stating that I had an account and could try signing
on with it, and when he agreed I did. I then proceeded to give a
demo to a group from the Lawrence labs in Livermore, California.
Somewhat into the demo someone asked about files. It had so
happened that Larry Breed had only a few weeks before
demonstrated the not yet released file system that was under
joint development by STSC and Sharp, and Larry had enabled my
account so I could tinker with the files. As I created a file and
showed the Livermore group how it could be accessed the guy from
APL Manhattan just stood there and kept saying, "I didn't know we
could do that!" As my demo came to a close I heard a restrained
chuckle behind me, and as I walked away the chuckler introduced
himself. That's when I first met Ian Sharp.

--

Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 APL to Excel

Al Rose and I alternated at those shows standing up giving a dog & pony
show about APL -- almost like the demos Ed McMahon gave with the
slicer-dicer.

At that same show when you met Ian, I was being my usual bold self and
trying to get the audience involved as I formatted some rediculous array
and even started making a "database application in front of your eyes"
with the new file system.  I pointed to one person in the audience who
seemed to at least be paying attention to the pitch and ask him if he
ever saw APL before...to which he replied "yes, I've seen it and used it
a bit."  That blew me away, so I decided to probe a little more and
tried to get him more involved..."specifically, where have you see it,"
I asked...to which Ken Iverson replied, "well, actually, I wrote it."

I think I called for the check at that point, paid my bill and left town
for a month.

> > Ah, what a memory, Mr. Ryan.

> Well, if we're going to get into memory stuff I can vividly
> recall the first time I saw Kevin, and if my memory is really in
> good order that was in 1970 or 1971 at the ACM sponsored Joint
> Computer Conference in Atlantic City where Kevin, I think still
> in his {*filter*}s, was standing alongside of Al Rose and Ed Garner,
> demonstrating APL at STSC's booth.

> It was at this same conference that a group called APL Manhattan
> also had a booth from which they were demonstrating APL. At the
> time STSC and I. P. Sharp shared a computer in Toronto and I
> somehow thought that APL Manhattan was another partner. Anyhow,
> the fellow from APL Manhattan was having difficulty connecting
> his 2741 and concluded that he had forgotten his account number.
> I piped up, stating that I had an account and could try signing
> on with it, and when he agreed I did. I then proceeded to give a
> demo to a group from the Lawrence labs in Livermore, California.
> Somewhat into the demo someone asked about files. It had so
> happened that Larry Breed had only a few weeks before
> demonstrated the not yet released file system that was under
> joint development by STSC and Sharp, and Larry had enabled my
> account so I could tinker with the files. As I created a file and
> showed the Livermore group how it could be accessed the guy from
> APL Manhattan just stood there and kept saying, "I didn't know we
> could do that!" As my demo came to a close I heard a restrained
> chuckle behind me, and as I walked away the chuckler introduced
> himself. That's when I first met Ian Sharp.

> --

Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL and Excel ActiveX control

2. APL and Excel ActiveX control

3. APL+Win reading from Excel

4. APL2000 APL/Excel Paper/Tutorial

5. APL matrix to Excel (was Re: )

6. Fw: APL to and from Excel

7. APL to and from Excel

8. Access and APL -- How about Excel

9. speaking of Excel (and APL)

10. APL+WIN and EXCEL

11. Problems with DDE link between APL Win and Excel

12. excel (windows) files and apl