FTP server in APL+WIN
Author Message
 FTP server in APL+WIN

I was searching for information on programming a FTP server when I
came across an APL conference document that told me that there have
been workshops for FTP clients and servers written in APL.
I'm currently trying to add FTP support to my WEB server but I'm
completely (well, almost) unaware of processes involved in FTP
communication; and right now a little voice in my head tells me that
someone has already explored this road long before I did and that I'm
really stupid if I don't try to gather some intelligence on this
forum.
As I'm desperately trying to get that voice to shut up......did anyone
walk this road?
If so, are there pieces of code I can use, or recommended documents to
get me started?
As far as I know, I'll have to code all telnet commands in APL and
listen to incoming connections on the standard telnet port, but I'm
not sure how to handle multiple connections to multiple ports and user
rights to folders and files which is much easier for a webserver
alone.

Hmmm....gradually but slowly, I'm getting on my way....who can speed
me up?

Best regards,
Jasper van Dijk

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:42:08 GMT
 FTP server in APL+WIN

Quote:
>If so, are there pieces of code I can use, or recommended documents to
>get me started?

Check out the RFC 959 at http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

0959 File Transfer Protocol. J. Postel, J.K. Reynolds. Oct-01-1985.
     (Format: TXT=151249 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0765) (Updated by RFC2228,
     RFC2640, RFC2773) (Also STD0009) (Status: STANDARD)

Quote:
>As far as I know, I'll have to code all telnet commands in APL and
>listen to incoming connections on the standard telnet port,

You'll be much happier with listening on the standard _FTP_ port
(21) instead of the standard telnet port (23) :-)

Do yourself a favour and support "PASV" right from the start, too.
It's the only way to get through all stateless firewalls.

Quote:
>but I'm not sure how to handle multiple connections to multiple ports
>and user rights to folders and files which is much easier for a webserver
>alone.

No, it's just the same in all regards:

- same problems
- same solutions to those problems
- same security concerns

I'd say that access permissions are even easier to check in the FTP case
than doing proper CGI checks within a web server.

What's a bit more complex in the FTP case is that control and data
have their separate connections if you are new to it.  Other than that,
it's all pretty straight forward.

To debug your FTP server, use the standard telnet client to connect
to your FTP server's control port (21).  Use additional telnet clients
for the file transmissions.

                                                        Martin Neitzel

PS:  Today I wrote a specialized HTTP server (in C) to create and
monitor a bunch of specialized HTTP servers (in J) talking to some
OLAP server (in spe:-)

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:19:50 GMT
 FTP server in APL+WIN
There are two example workspaces that I suggest you look at as a
tutorial.

The first is on APL2000's site.  I think this is an APL+WIN 3.0
workspace so it may be incompatible.
http://www.apl2000.com/user.htm (about halfway down the page)

Here is the second,
http://www.parkenet.com/apl/FTPXManager.htm

Good luck
Andrew D. Weiss

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:05:19 GMT

1. APL+Win: using Quad-NI to connect to web server

2. APL+WIN and APL tutorials for CPCUG

3. APL+DOS to APL+WIN migration aid

4. Migrating APL+DOS to APL+WIN

5. Paradox and APL*PLUS II (Or APL+WIN) and Memo Fields

6. Win application experience with Win+APL?

7. Win NT or Win 2000 Server?

8. Squeak FTP site established: ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak

9. My ftp site (ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper)

10. APL Newsreader via ftp

11. e-mail and ftp access to apl archives

12. FTP sites for free APL's for macintosh