APL as First Language for CS
Author Message
 APL as First Language for CS

There was a time when APL was used as the introductory
language for Computer Science majors in a few places.

However, in the few dozen responses to the first-language
question posted in comp.edu, there is not one APL.

If you know of exceptions to its abandonment as the first-
language, please send me an e-mail note.

Thanks,

Dick

Sun, 04 Oct 1992 20:40:33 GMT
 APL as First Language for CS
Dr Richard J. Reid writes:

Quote:
>There was a time when APL was used as the introductory
>language for Computer Science majors in a few places.
>If you know of exceptions to its abandonment as the first-
>language, please send me an e-mail note.
>Thanks,

<forgive the posting, my mailer is flakey today>

In Case Western Reserve University, APL was taught by Freddy Way III
for a Numerical Methods (engineering) Course.  It was required of
*ALL* engineering majors!  and assumed no previous computer language
skill (although most students had taken Pascal or fortran the semester
before).

The course was a killer, and Way was the subject of much folklore,
as his style and grading policy were not traditional.  Actually
he had a APL program do *all* the grading.  He would just sit back
and boast how APL is the only *real* computer language.

Way had never received his PhD.  He had just about finished his
dissertation when he was offered an incredible sum of money from
industry for his work.  He sold his dissertation work for a rumored
$6 Million (that's what I heard 8-), and said the hell with a degree.

Way was the acting head of the Computer Science and Engineering Dept.
for a few years despite only having a BS. He retired from CWRU about
three years ago.

Since then APL has been abandoned completely, replaced by more Fortan
and Pascal.

Y. Gil Yehuda

Mon, 05 Oct 1992 21:41:41 GMT

1. Modula2 as First CS Language

2. Modula2 as first CS Language

3. Modula2 as first CS language

4. Ada as first CS Language

5. Academic CS Losers? First languages, etc

6. FORTRAN as First Language for CS Majors?

7. using GOFER/MIRANDA in a first-year CS course (2)

8. using GOFER/MIRANDA in a first-year CS course

9. MODULA2 AS FIRST CS LANGU

10. Suggestions for textbook for first-year CS class?

12. BETA primary CS language at University Dortmund (Germany)