APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued
Author Message
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

... APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

We could manage it to display the error message
which is displayed by NT4.0 after closing down
APL*PLUS II386 V5.0

================================
Farlab Fatal SysError 10025
Error Occurred in Protected mode
Protected mode machine state
etc.
================================

Is there a newer version of this FarlabExtender
or APL*PLUS II availabel?

Regards,
JoHo
========================
Joachim Hoffmann

Mon, 03 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

There may be a newer version of Phar Lap--check their Web site.

You can check with APL2000 about a newer version for DOS, however if I
recall my recent conversation with them correctly 5.0 is the newest (my
memory is not good, so I may be wrong on that), in any case they have just
released APL+Win 2.0 which would be a better solution if you are running
under Windows in any flavor.
--

automatic mailers.

Quote:
> ... APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

> We could manage it to display the error message
> which is displayed by NT4.0 after closing down
> APL*PLUS II386 V5.0

> ================================
> Farlab Fatal SysError 10025
> Error Occurred in Protected mode
> Protected mode machine state
> etc.
> ================================

> Is there a newer version of this FarlabExtender
> or APL*PLUS II availabel?

> Regards,
> JoHo
> ========================
> Joachim Hoffmann

Tue, 04 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

Thanks for your answer!

I did not find a newer version of Phar Lab on the WEB site of APL2000,

asking them.

Concerning migration to +WIN 2.0, I can report that we are *very*
happy with DyalogAPL/W.

Unfortunately we had not the time to migrate one special APL*PLUS II
program, which we need now urgently under NT, in order that we
can use our 128MB RAM.

JoHo

Quote:

>There may be a newer version of Phar Lap--check their Web site.
>You can check with APL2000 about a newer version for DOS, however if I
>recall my recent conversation with them correctly 5.0 is the newest (my
>memory is not good, so I may be wrong on that), in any case they have just
>released APL+Win 2.0 which would be a better solution if you are running
>under Windows in any flavor.
>--

>automatic mailers.

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

Quote:

>I did not find a newer version of Phar Lab on the WEB site of APL2000,

You wouldn't. It is integral to the interpreter.

Quote:

>asking them.

Quote:
>Unfortunately we had not the time to migrate one special APL*PLUS II
>program, which we need now urgently under NT, in order that we
>can use our 128MB RAM.

I missed your original post, so I don't know what your problems are. I run
my application under NT, you just have to make changes to the start up
batch file, as you *must* use the DOS keyboard. Then it helps if you poke
out the key that users could use to change it back to the APL keyboard, and
can make other keyboard changes to substitute for the lack of the
Ctrl-Shift key combinations.

Also printing under NT requires mapping the LPT1 to a UNC name.

Also any running of an APL2000 DOS APL under Windows requires a wssize=
parameter in the Cmd line.

Quote:

>>You can check with APL2000 about a newer version for DOS, however if I
>>recall my recent conversation with them correctly 5.0 is the newest (my
>>memory is not good, so I may be wrong on that),

The newest is version 5.2. A newer one is in the works.

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

Quote:

<snip>
>I missed your original post, so I don't know what your problems are. I run
>my application under NT, you just have to make changes to the start up
>batch file, as you *must* use the DOS keyboard. Then it helps if you poke
>out the key that users could use to change it back to the APL keyboard, and
>can make other keyboard changes to substitute for the lack of the
>Ctrl-Shift key combinations.

I'm just beginning to move all my stuff to NT, starting with APL*PLUS/PC
apps.  I've been using the DOS ('Text') keyboard for quite a while, so
didn't notice a problem.  Disabling the keyboard switch is a good idea if
your distributing to other users.

Quote:
>Also printing under NT requires mapping the LPT1 to a UNC name.

Could you go into a bit more detail on this?  At least in APL*PLUS/PC, my
#Gxxx graphics routines printed fine, but I miss being able to hit
Shift-PrtScrn to get a hardcopy snapshot of work, and I used to use
Ctrl-PrtScrn to list out functions.  I have a MS Knowledge base article I
printed out (Q140399, but it may have been removed, I can't seem to
access it anymore) that describes how to change the PIF for COMMAND.COM
and CONFIG.NT to revive PrtScrn for 16-bit apps, but I haven't had time
to try it yet.  Once I get that working, I still need to see if I can
then map LPT1 to a network printer at work.  Is that what the UNC name
accomplishes?

Quote:
>Also any running of an APL2000 DOS APL under Windows requires a wssize=
>parameter in the Cmd line.

Hmm, I haven't been doing this for the 16 bit stuff.  I'll have to
remember this when I start playing with APL+DOS.  I just got APL+WIN Ver.
2.0, and I'm trying to find time to install that.  Unfortunately, it
doesn't support all of my #G graphics stuff, so I still need the older
versions.

Doug White

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

White) writes:
> I have a MS Knowledge base article I
>printed out (Q140399, but it may have been removed, I can't seem to
>access it anymore) that describes how to change the PIF for COMMAND.COM

try:
http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q140/3/99.htm

michael

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

Quote:

>I'm just beginning to move all my stuff to NT, starting with APL*PLUS/PC
>apps.  I've been using the DOS ('Text') keyboard for quite a while, so
>didn't notice a problem.

Do realize that Text and DOS keyboard are not the same thing. The DOS
keyboard is the e=2 startup parameter.

Quote:
>  Disabling the keyboard switch is a good idea if
>your distributing to other users.

Add key 5116=512 and key 6116=512 to the config.apl file.

Quote:
>>Also printing under NT requires mapping the LPT1 to a UNC name.

>Could you go into a bit more detail on this?

To map LPT1 to a UNC name type "net use lpt1 \\mmlp0202\mam11
/persistent:yes" and press enter. (substitute your print server and printer
name for \\mmlp0202\mam11 in the example above)

Quote:
> At least in APL*PLUS/PC, my
>#Gxxx graphics routines printed fine,

I use Neal Polhemus's APLot, which works fine in all operating systems. For
a client I have just implemented my first #Gxxx graph (in APL*PLUS II). I
can't get it to print over the network, despite properly using the Novell
capture command. It seems to be hard coded to print to a local printer. Do
you also find this to be true? I haven't tried #Gxxx stuff under NT yet.

Quote:
> but I miss being able to hit
>Shift-PrtScrn to get a hardcopy snapshot of work, and I used to use
>Ctrl-PrtScrn to list out functions.  I have a MS Knowledge base article I
>printed out (Q140399, but it may have been removed, I can't seem to
>access it anymore) that describes how to change the PIF for COMMAND.COM
>and CONFIG.NT to revive PrtScrn for 16-bit apps, but I haven't had time
>to try it yet.

I take control of the PrtScrn key when using the APL keyboard (but with
text characters) by assigning it a key value and clicking off the check on
the last sheet of the properties dialog box. When switching to the DOS
keyboard you can't control this key.

I don't know why you are having problems with Ctrl-PrtScrn. Under NT using
[]POKE 116 does this fine, if LPT1 is captured.

Quote:
>  Once I get that working, I still need to see if I can
>then map LPT1 to a network printer at work.  Is that what the UNC name
>accomplishes?

Yes. A required step for all DOS applications. To determine if this is the
problem type "net use" (without the quotes) at a DOS prompt. If LPT1 is not
listed, DOS apps will not print.

Quote:
>>Also any running of an APL2000 DOS APL under Windows requires a wssize=
>>parameter in the Cmd line.

>Hmm, I haven't been doing this for the 16 bit stuff.

It wouldn't be required for 16 bit as it all lives in conventional memory.

Quote:
>  I'll have to
>remember this when I start playing with APL+DOS.

If you don't it spends a very long time building a 16MB swap file upon
start up.

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

<
<>I'm just beginning to move all my stuff to NT, starting with APL*PLUS/PC
<>apps.  I've been using the DOS ('Text') keyboard for quite a while, so
<>didn't notice a problem.
<
<Do realize that Text and DOS keyboard are not the same thing. The DOS
<keyboard is the e=2 startup parameter.

Well, I'm not using e=2, and everything seems to work fine (in
APL+PLUS/PC)

<snip>
<
<> At least in APL*PLUS/PC, my
<>#Gxxx graphics routines printed fine,
<
<I use Neal Polhemus's APLot, which works fine in all operating systems. For
<a client I have just implemented my first #Gxxx graph (in APL*PLUS II). I
<can't get it to print over the network, despite properly using the Novell
<capture command. It seems to be hard coded to print to a local printer. Do
<you also find this to be true? I haven't tried #Gxxx stuff under NT yet.

I haven't tried printing over the network yet.  I'm using HP's JetDirect
stuff for network printing, and I don't know if that will behave any
differently.

[...]

I don't think I've actually tried Ctrl-PrtScrn, because Shift-PrtScrn
didn't work.  I'm going to try the Knowlwedge Base fix (which is now
accessable by the way), and see what happens.

<>  Once I get that working, I still need to see if I can
<>then map LPT1 to a network printer at work.  Is that what the UNC name
<>accomplishes?
<
<Yes. A required step for all DOS applications. To determine if this is the
<problem type "net use" (without the quotes) at a DOS prompt. If LPT1 is not
<listed, DOS apps will not print.

<snip>

Thanks for the input & insight.  The battle continues...

Doug White

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

<White) writes:

<
<> I have a MS Knowledge base article I
<>printed out (Q140399, but it may have been removed, I can't seem to
<>access it anymore) that describes how to change the PIF for COMMAND.COM
<
<try:
<http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q140/3/99.htm

I finally got it this morning.  I've tried off & on over the last week,
and MS's web site has been screwed up in a different way every time I
tried.  They seem to have rebuilt their system recently, and are still
getting the bugs out.

Doug White

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

Quote:
<<White) writes:

<<
<<> I have a MS Knowledge base article I
<<>printed out (Q140399, but it may have been removed, I can't seem to
<<>access it anymore) that describes how to change the PIF for COMMAND.COM
<<
<<try:
<<http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q140/3/99.htm
<
<I finally got it this morning.  I've tried off & on over the last week,
<and MS's web site has been screwed up in a different way every time I
<tried.  They seem to have rebuilt their system recently, and are still
<getting the bugs out.

Well, I finally got around to trying this, and after sorting out the
differences between NT 3.51 and 4.0, it still doesn't work.

The article says to use the PIF editor, which has been replaced by the
'Properties' option when you right-click on a program.  I checked the
settings in COMMAND.COM's properties, and tried both selecting (the
default) and deselecting the 'Print-Screen' box.  I modified 'CONFIG.NT'
as instructed, and when I hit PrintScreen in APL, all I get is a blank
sheet.

Any ideas?

Doug White

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

Thank you very much for "e=2"!
Now APL+2 runs stable under NT40.
The only problem we have now is, that our
German APL keyboard is completely confused.
I hope that we can reprogram it again using
the KEYBOARD utility under e=2.

JoHo

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

Quote:

>The only problem we have now is, that our
>German APL keyboard is completely confused.
>I hope that we can reprogram it again using
>the KEYBOARD utility under e=2.

You don't have any of the Ctrl-Shift or Alt-Shift key combinations, and you
can't get them.

I have moved some of them to other keys, but the chart I have here doesn't
say which line of code moved what (and I don't feel like digging into my
files).

This is what I added to the config.apl file to move keys:

key 4018=360
key 4022=364
key 4024=499
key 4038=362
key 4046=427

They cover these changes:

Old                 New
---                 ---
Scroll Lock        Ctrl-Z
Ctrl-/             Ctrl-\   (I think this one is already there)
Alt-Shift V        Ctrl-Y   (thats a down arrow)
Alt-Shift ->       Ctrl-K
Alt-Shift <-       Ctrl-W
Ctrl-Shift-I       Ctrl-I

And then as mentioned before

key 5116=512
key 6116=512

will poke out the key that changes the keyboard back to the APL one.

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

(Joachim Hoffmann) writes:

>Is there a newer version of this FarlabExtender
>or APL*PLUS II availabel?

Version 5.2 of APL+DOS (formerly APL*PLUS II) is available (your msg
showed version 5.0).  A further version is now under development and is
expected out later this year, I think.  I don't belive that the Phar Lap
DOS Extender changed version from 5.0 to 5.2, however.  You could send

and inquiries.  However, I belive that APL+DOS is not supported or
gaurenteed to work under NT, due to this kind of problem.  I am NOT sure
about this, so please double check with the support line.

              -David E. Siegel
               Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

Fri, 21 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL*PLUS II under NT4.0

2. XP and APL font for APL-PLUS II?

3. Paradox and APL*PLUS II (Or APL+WIN) and Memo Fields

4. Need Assistance to Use APL*Plus II/386 Under WINNT

5. APLBUG : MANUGISTICS demos APL PLUS II release 5 : Software Drwng

6. STSC APL*PLUS II Version 4

7. STSC APL*PLUS for Mac II: any patches?

8. APL PLUS II V5.2 Graphic Init

9. Converting - APL PLUS II 386 - WinAPL

10. APL*PLUS II Error trapping

11. APL*PLUS II/386 running on Windows 95

12. APL*PLUS II runtime wanted