)RESET in APL+WIN 3.0 
Author Message
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

I want to be able to do the equivalent of )RESET from inside a program.
Back in the APL*PLUS III days, I could do 7 []POKE 165, and it performed
this task and untied files as well.  Any suggestions on how to do this in
APL+WIN 3.0 would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim



Mon, 30 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

Quote:
>I want to be able to do the equivalent of )RESET from inside a program.
>Back in the APL*PLUS III days, I could do 7 []POKE 165, and it performed
>this task and untied files as well.  Any suggestions on how to do this in
>APL+WIN 3.0 would be
>appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Tim

Well, you can close all forms and windows objects with '#' []wi 'Reset' but
that is not exactly what you are after.

You could save a clear workspace and load itr under program control, but I
don't think that this is exactly what you want either.  

I don't know any method of doing a a )Reset under program control.  What is
your purpose?  Perhaps soemthing less drastic would serve?

                 -David E. Siegel



Tue, 31 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0
My purpose is just to make life a bit simpler, save a few keystrokes.  My
APL*PLUS III function, called "Die", had that one []POKE command, and it
simply put my workspace back in order quickly and easily.  Very helpful
after a function bombs.  Edit the offending function, fix the whoopsie,
CTRL-E, type Die, and you're ready to try the program again.



Quote:
>>I want to be able to do the equivalent of )RESET from inside a program.
>>Back in the APL*PLUS III days, I could do 7 []POKE 165, and it performed
>>this task and untied files as well.  Any suggestions on how to do this in
>>APL+WIN 3.0 would be

>>appreciated.

>>Thanks,
>>Tim

>Well, you can close all forms and windows objects with '#' []wi 'Reset' but
>that is not exactly what you are after.

>You could save a clear workspace and load itr under program control, but I
>don't think that this is exactly what you want either.

>I don't know any method of doing a a )Reset under program control.  What is
>your purpose?  Perhaps soemthing less drastic would serve?

>                 -David E. Siegel




Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

Quote:

> My purpose is just to make life a bit simpler, save a few keystrokes.  My
> APL*PLUS III function, called "Die", had that one []POKE command, and it
> simply put my workspace back in order quickly and easily.  Very helpful
> after a function bombs.  Edit the offending function, fix the whoopsie,
> CTRL-E, type Die, and you're ready to try the program again.

If that's all you want, why not really save keystrokes and just type a
single right-arrow
      {branch}
followed by Enter key, of course.
Actually I'd almost forgotten about this stuff.  I got attached to
Dyalog's interactive de{*filter*} years ago.  One mouse-click beats one
keystroke.

Oops.  I notice you wanted to close files too.  One approach is to
include in your function initialization a simple line like
  [1]  []nuntie []nnums  <>  []funtie []fnums
or you could make it more selective.

A real old-time solution was to put this stuff on a function key,
complete with carriage returns.  One keystroke.  I guess the modern
equivalent is a menu item.
--
Joe



Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0
Quote:

>If that's all you want, why not really save keystrokes and just type a
>single right-arrow
>      {branch}
>followed by Enter key, of course.
>Actually I'd almost forgotten about this stuff.  I got attached to
>Dyalog's interactive de{*filter*} years ago.  One mouse-click beats one
>keystroke.

>Oops.  I notice you wanted to close files too.  One approach is to
>include in your function initialization a simple line like
>  [1]  []nuntie []nnums  <>  []funtie []fnums
>or you could make it more selective.

>A real old-time solution was to put this stuff on a function key,
>complete with carriage returns.  One keystroke.  I guess the modern
>equivalent is a menu item.
>--
>Joe

In APL+Win such a sequenbce can be assigned as a "tool" which can be invoked
either from a menu or any specifed hotkey, such as a fn key.  My personal tool
list includes "Run Worksapce" (Executes the current latent expression) "Win
Reset" (Does '#' []wi 'Reset') and "Checkout function (in our local version
control system) amoung other things.  Each of these is available from a single
key-combo (shifted or alted keystroke)

                 -David E. Siegel



Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0
<A real old-time solution was to put this stuff on a function key,
complete with carriage returns.  One keystroke.  I guess the modern
equivalent is a menu item

Old-time solutions are often more effective than the fancy new tools! Like
David, I have various bits of useful stuff on function keys in +Win, and
dl,')reset',er,'[]EX''.''',er,')save' on a very similar key in Dyalog (for <dl>
read 'down limit' to get the cursor to the end of the session before typing
anything). Similarly, I find that a good old 'WsLoc' which echos to the session
is several orders of magnitude more efficient than poking about with the mouse
in some fancy 'Search Workspace' tool.

--
Adrian Smith



Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0
Your comments are interesting, Adrian, but I'm afraid I may have been
unclear in my original message.  My observation was essentially
chronological; I certainly do not promote modernity for it's own sake.
On the contrary, I guess I might have added an emoticon to denote a hint
of sarcasm in my usage of "modern".

As I understand it, an essential test of an interface is the degree to
which choice of appropriate device (key-vs-pointer, menu-vs-button,
console-vs-graphic, etc.) is in the hands of the user.  This I think is
completely consistent with APL's traditional flexibility and generality,
and somewhat at odds with the only-one-right-way mentality one finds
elsewhere.

For example, I was pleased to find access to the familiar readline
control keys in a J console/xterm under Linux, but I'm certainly not
above using KDE's Windows-ish "abominations" when the need arises.  ;-)

At any rate, I have some sympathy regarding your remarks about
effectiveness and efficiency.  But I assume your "several orders of
magnitude" must have been intended as a bit of hyperbole for emphasis.
It is quite inconsistent with my experience with recent Dyalog APL,
in particular.  And, if by "fancy" you mean to imply "frivolous", I am
puzzled.

Joe

Quote:

> <A real old-time solution was to put this stuff on a function key,
> complete with carriage returns.  One keystroke.  I guess the modern
> equivalent is a menu item

> Old-time solutions are often more effective than the fancy new tools! Like
> David, I have various bits of useful stuff on function keys in +Win, and
> dl,')reset',er,'[]EX''.''',er,')save' on a very similar key in Dyalog (for <dl>
> read 'down limit' to get the cursor to the end of the session before typing
> anything). Similarly, I find that a good old 'WsLoc' which echos to the session
> is several orders of magnitude more efficient than poking about with the mouse
> in some fancy 'Search Workspace' tool.

> --
> Adrian Smith



Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

2. Working DOS Files with APL Win 3.0

3. Parsing dialog box for APL+WIN 3.0 ?

4. RDBI 3.0, VST 3.0/Win and DB2/2

5. APL+WIN and APL tutorials for CPCUG

6. Paradox and APL*PLUS II (Or APL+WIN) and Memo Fields

7. Migrating APL+DOS to APL+WIN

8. APL+DOS to APL+WIN migration aid

9. Win application experience with Win+APL?

10. synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set

11. synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set

12. Sync reset or async reset?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software