Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win
Author Message
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Can anyone recommend a 32 bit DLL for serial communication from APL+Win?
 I don't need much more functionality than the SERCOM16 ws supplied by
APL2000, but that only works under Windows 3.x.   My application has to
run under both Windows 3.x (Win32S) and  Windows 95.

Writing serial communications code for each of a dozen different devices
is a job that I don't want to do twice.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Mysz
Customized APLications

Sun, 02 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Quote:

> Can anyone recommend a 32 bit DLL for serial communication from APL+Win?

I haven't ever had to do stuff along this line, but Greenleaf's
PowerComm is a frequently mentioned resource.

        www.gleaf.com

Sun, 02 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

<encoded_portion_removed>
Y29tbXVuaWNhdGlvbnMu

Mon, 03 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Quote:

> > Can anyone recommend a 32 bit DLL for serial communication from APL+Win?

> I haven't ever had to do stuff along this line, but Greenleaf's
> PowerComm is a frequently mentioned resource.

>         www.gleaf.com

Errh, try:

        www.onramp.net/~gleaf/

"gleaf.com" dumps you at the onramp homepage.

Mon, 03 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Quote:

>DQoNCmxhcnJ5bXlzekBhb2wuY29tIHdyb3RlIGluIGFydGljbGUgPDE5OTYxMTEzMjAyNjAwL
lBB
>QTAwNTUyQGxhZGRlcjAxLm5ld3MuYW9sLmNvbT4uLi4NCj4gQ2FuIGFueW9uZSByZWNvbW1lb
mQg

Could we please have the plain-text version of this?

              -David E. Siegel
               Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

Mon, 03 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

You could simply use mscomm.ocx (or vbx)
Saxcomm is another good product.

Quote:

> > Can anyone recommend a 32 bit DLL for serial communication from APL+Win?

> I haven't ever had to do stuff along this line, but Greenleaf's
> PowerComm is a frequently mentioned resource.

>         www.gleaf.com

Tue, 04 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Quote:

>> Can anyone recommend a 32 bit DLL for serial communication from APL+Win?

>I haven't ever had to do stuff along this line, but Greenleaf's
>PowerComm is a frequently mentioned resource.

>    www.gleaf.com

  Hi Larry!  Glad to read you here from time to time!

  Concerning a 32-bit DLL for APL+Win, I think that the Win32 Comm API
  of Win95 and NT would be sufficient, unless you need real quick
  action such as playing a WAV sound file over the phone.
  You can even specify three types of timer at each call versus
  []ARBIN single reception timer.

  An excellent article on the matter appeared in Microsoft System
  Journal in Dec 94, "Create Communications Programs for Windows 95
  with the Win32 Comm API".  My guess is that you don't need more doc
  than this article.  [BTW, I never understood why Manugistics did not
  use this API for their 32-bit serial port support.]

  I shall send you a copy of this 20-page article at the Chicago APL
  SIG address or call me any time at the number below.

  Gilles Kirouac, MYRIADE, Phone 418 658 1275.

Tue, 04 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Quote:

> >DQoNCmxhcnJ5bXlzekBhb2wuY29tIHdyb3RlIG... >QTAwNTUyQGxhZGRlcjAxLm5ld3MuYW9sLmNvbT4u...>
> Could we please have the plain-text version of this?

>               -David E. Siegel
>                Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

What Hildebrandt said was: (with a bit o' editing.

Quote:
> I've done serial communications from APL+Win v1.8 using the Windows
> API and Quad-Wcall (#Wcall) and Quad-NA functions and have it working
> under Win95 and WinNT at 9600 baud no problem, no DLLs other than
> windows it self.

This means a bit of rewriting the []NA's in the SERCOM16, so that they
become
[]WCALLS.  Hopefully, your application should come out unscathed.

Quote:
> One has to jump through a few hoops.  And interestingly,
> APL2000 did not give all the necessary definitions in their ADF/INI files
> so those have to be defined.

There are indeed a number of holes in the APLWADF, Registry functions
are missing
and there is not line one adddressing WinSock capabilities.

Quote:
> But you must first do a CreateFile, SetCommState, SetCommTimeouts to
> set things up. The(n) do a ReadFile and WriteFile to read and write to
> the serial port.  I have a program that communicates with a GPS receiver
> at 9600 baud working just great.
> I have thought about writing a DLL to maybe speed things up a bit.

Is there a potential speed up that will justify the mucking around with
C?
I have my doubts, and I gather you may also.

Quote:
> I  bought Microsoft's Visual C++ v4.0 for $85 just for the documentation.
> It also has the tools to create bit maps and Icons and such to include
> with your APL program.
> Now if APL+WIN only ca[me] with it's own install program.  Even a higher wish,
> that one could combine the Runtime with A workspace to create one file, or
> even if the Runtime know what file to start without setting up the right
> short cut or having an INI or even setting the registry...  Sigh.....

I wonder why having an INI or setting the registry is such a big thing.
It is
a rare program in Windows that does with only one file.  Nothing
prevents you
from renaming aplwr.exe to myapp.exe.

Quote:

--
|\/| Randy A MacDonald       |"We ARE the weirdos, mister!"

     BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

     I use Real J            | Also http://www.godin.com/godin/
------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-

Tue, 04 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Quote:
>> DQoNCmxhcnJ5bXlzekBhb2wuY29tIHdyb3RlIGluIGFydGljbGUgPDE5OTYxMTEzMjAyNjAwL
> Could we please have the plain-text version of this?

Sure.

NB. Base64 decoding.  See RFC-1521 (MIME) for the official definition.

NB. An octet stream (aka "byte sequence") is encoded as a sequence of
NB. members of the following printable

codeset =: 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789+/'

NB. According to its position (0-63), each code represents 6 bits from the
NB. original octet stream.  The last code may carry some final unused zero bits
NB. beyond the end of the encoded octet stream.  Officially, a base64 encoding
NB. will be padded with 1 or 2 '=' signs after the final code up the to the
NB. next 24-bit border.  The first '=' definitely marks the end of the encoded
NB. text.  Before the first '=' sign, any characters outside of the base64
NB. codeset (eg. newlines) have to be simply ignored.

  bytes =: (_8: #.\ trunc) { a."_
     trunc =: }.~ [: - 8: | #

NB. The &.('/'&,) ensures the full 6-bit width of the binary representations.
NB. It makes use of recent introduction that }. is considered to be the
NB. obverse of x.&, which is indeed really handy here.  It's a gross hack
NB. but much more fun than a boring _6&{. .

                                                Martin Neitzel

Wed, 05 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Quote:

> > >DQoNCmxhcnJ5bXlzekBhb2wuY29tIHdyb3RlIG...
>QTAwNTUyQGxhZGRlcjAxLm5ld3MuYW9sLmNvbT4u...>
> > Could we please have the plain-text version of this?

> >               -David E. Siegel
> >                Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

OK OK wrong settings.

Quote:
> What Hildebrandt said was: (with a bit o' editing.

> > I've done serial communications from APL+Win v1.8 using the Windows
> > API and Quad-Wcall (#Wcall) and Quad-NA functions and have it working
> > under Win95 and WinNT at 9600 baud no problem, no DLLs other than
> > windows it self.

> This means a bit of rewriting the []NA's in the SERCOM16, so that they
> become
> []WCALLS.  Hopefully, your application should come out unscathed.

> > One has to jump through a few hoops.  And interestingly,
> > APL2000 did not give all the necessary definitions in their ADF/INI
files
> > so those have to be defined.

> There are indeed a number of holes in the APLWADF, Registry functions
> are missing
> and there is not line one adddressing WinSock capabilities.

> > But you must first do a CreateFile, SetCommState, SetCommTimeouts to
> > set things up. The(n) do a ReadFile and WriteFile to read and write to
> > the serial port.  I have a program that communicates with a GPS
receiver
> > at 9600 baud working just great.

> > I have thought about writing a DLL to maybe speed things up a bit.

> Is there a potential speed up that will justify the mucking around with
> C?
> I have my doubts, and I gather you may also.

C version runs faster than APL, higher through put.

Quote:
> I wonder why having an INI or setting the registry is such a big thing.
> It is
> a rare program in Windows that does with only one file.

Yes, but then you have to have an install program.  Just try to "tell"
people how to install an program written in APL is not always simple.  Oh,
it is simple, but for the "masses" ?  Unbelievable how complicated a simple
thing can get.  Sure I can set the registry of INI files, but not all my
users can.

repeat

Quote:
> It is
> a rare program in Windows that does with only one file.

Pity isn't it.  A DLL here, DLL there, INI here, registry there, data files
here, program files there.  Simplicity.

Quote:
> Nothing prevents you
> from renaming aplwr.exe to myapp.exe.

And I have.  You still need the correct command line ( short cut ) with the
whatever.W3 file on it.
Quote:

> >Look at the Windows 32 bit API for serial communications.

comment still holds.

Quote:

> --
> |\/| Randy A MacDonald       |"We ARE the weirdos, mister!"

>      BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

>      I use Real J            | Also http://www.godin.com/godin/
> ------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-

Hey, let's also have multi-threading in APL.

BH

Wed, 05 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Quote:

> > > I have thought about writing a DLL to maybe speed things up a bit.

> > Is there a potential speed up that will justify the mucking around with
> > C?
> > I have my doubts, and I gather you may also.
> C version runs faster than APL, higher through put.

Of course, whatever C code you write, after you spend the (IMHO)
unjustified
time developing it, will run faster.  Will the bottleneck not still be
with
the serial line, in other words, you've written a C program that waits
for
the port where the APL waits for the port.  This is not a compute
intensive
application, so the "C is faster" knee-jerk might just mean you waste a
lot
of development time.

Quote:
> > I wonder why having an INI or setting the registry is such a big thing.
> > It is a rare program in Windows that does with only one file.
> Yes, but then you have to have an install program.

It's the 90's, it's Windows, get used to it.  Install programs are not
rocket science.

Quote:
> Just try to "tell" people how to install an program written in APL is
> not always simple.  Oh, it is simple, but for the "masses" ?

"Load the diskette in Drive A:, choose Run from the Start Menu; type
in A:SETUP..."

Quote:
> Unbelievable how complicated a simple thing can get.  Sure I can set the
> registry of INI files, but not all my users can.

Netscape seems to be having no problem with a 6MB monster.

Quote:
> repeat
> > It is a rare program in Windows that does with only one file.
> Pity isn't it.  A DLL here, DLL there, INI here, registry there, data files
> here, program files there.

You can stick with DOS.  Not too rough there.  Just don't expect a
market.

Quote:
> Simplicity.

For the USERS!  Where were you when the GUI ideals were passed out?

Quote:
> > Nothing prevents you from renaming aplwr.exe to myapp.exe.
> And I have.  You still need the correct command line ( short cut ) with the
> whatever.W3 file on it.

File associations?  .w3's are opened by ...

Quote:
> > >Look at the Windows 32 bit API for serial communications.
> comment still holds.
> Hey, let's also have multi-threading in APL.

Apparently Visual Basic can do it, with only calls to the Win API.
Perhaps
APL can too.

--
|\/| Randy A MacDonald       |"We ARE the weirdos, mister!"

     BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

     I use Real J            | Also http://www.godin.com/godin/
------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-

Thu, 06 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

I did not know that Windows 95 and Windows NT share a common serial
communications API with Win 3.1x thru Win32s.  That is certainly the
easiest soultion to my problem of writing an application that will run
under all three environments without having to maintain multiple sets of
code.

Thanks to all, especially Brent and Gilles, for the responses.

Larry Mysz
Customized APLications

Fri, 07 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a serial communication DLL for APL+Win

Quote:

>There are indeed a number of holes in the APLWADF, Registry functions
>are missing
>and there is not line one adddressing WinSock capabilities.

There are a LOT of functions in the windows API and its various
extensions, many of them using a good many constants each.  Including all
of them automatically in the ADF would seem unjustified.  That is why
developers can add entries to the INI or ADF on therir own, for the set of
fns which they use, or to support 3rd party DLLs.

N.B. I am speaking off-the-cuff here, perhaps the developers have another

              -David E. Siegel
               Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

Sat, 08 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL+Win, NT and Serial Communications

2. Need Help in using Fortran DLL's with APL+Win

3. Question about serial communications under win 95

4. RXCOMM.DLL for windows, provides access to serial communications devices

5. Need to Declare a QuickTime function on Win, but dunno which's Win QT DLL

6. Help needed !!!!! Serial Communication

7. Simple Serial communication help needed

8. trouble with serial communication (serial port init.vi)

9. APL+WIN and APL tutorials for CPCUG

10. APL+DOS to APL+WIN migration aid

11. Migrating APL+DOS to APL+WIN

12. Paradox and APL*PLUS II (Or APL+WIN) and Memo Fields