)RESET in APL+WIN 3.0
Author Message
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

Quote:
>I want to be able to do the equivalent of )RESET from inside a

program.

Unless you have saved your WS with a suspension (normally considered
bad practice), why not []XLOAD []WSID?

This will achieve the desired effect unless you have edited an object
between the suspension and the []XLOAD.  If that's the problem, simply
leave the object in the editor until after the []XLOAD -- no extra
keystrokes.

Eric Landau, APL Solutions, Inc.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" - Abbie Hoffman

Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

Quote:

> >I want to be able to do the equivalent of )RESET from inside a
> program.

Why not just branch to a line that contains nothing but a label and a
right arrow.  This will bring you out to immediate execution without
suspending the function or its caller(s).

Ted

Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

Quote:

> > >I want to be able to do the equivalent of )RESET from inside a
> > program.

> Why not just branch to a line that contains nothing but a label and a
> right arrow.  This will bring you out to immediate execution without
> suspending the function or its caller(s).

> Ted

Just FTR, I didn't write that (I responded to it, snipped by Ted).  A
bit more care with the attributions, please.

Eric Landau, APL Solutions, Inc.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" - Abbie Hoffman

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0
Thank you for all the good information.  I never knew about that way to use
the right-arrow.  Works nicely!

Thanks again,
Tim

Quote:

>> >I want to be able to do the equivalent of )RESET from inside a
>> program.

>Why not just branch to a line that contains nothing but a label and a
>right arrow.  This will bring you out to immediate execution without
>suspending the function or its caller(s).

>Ted

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

Quote:

> Thank you for all the good information.  I never knew about that way to
> use
> the right-arrow.  Works nicely!

It causes lots of fun if you really meant to type {right-arrow}0

Mike Kingston .........................

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

Quote:

>> >I want to be able to do the equivalent of )RESET from inside a
>> program.

> Why not just branch to a line that contains nothing but a label and a
> right arrow.  This will bring you out to immediate execution without
> suspending the function or its caller(s).

> Ted

That is not the same behavior as )RESET which clears the entirety of the
state indicator, and in the case of Dyalog APL (can't say for APL+WIN) any
unprocessed events in the event queue. A nildadic branch takes one back only
to the point of most recent suspension.

--

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0
<Unless you have saved your WS with a suspension (normally considered
<bad practice), why not []XLOAD []WSID?
<
<This will achieve the desired effect unless you have edited an object
<between the suspension and the []XLOAD.  If that's the problem, simply
<leave the object in the editor until after the []XLOAD -- no extra
<keystrokes.

I don't know if this will work in APL+WIN, but I have a function in APL+PC
that might be modified to do something similar.  My 'RESET' function
assigns a whole string of commands to the keyboard buffer and then sets
them off.  It was used to clear the symbol table in a workspace, and after
determining the WSID, executes the following sequence:

  )save
  )clear
  )symbols 1024
  )copy WSID
  )wsid WSID
  #LX<-'StartString'  <I use a standard name for all my WS's>
  )save

Ordinarily, there would be no way to do all of this under program control,
but this dodge works very nicely.  I don't know if the current version of
APL+WIN has the keyboard buffer trick available.  I think I used #INBUF,
and that system variable was available in Ver. 1.0.

Doug White

Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

Quote:

> > Why not just branch to a line that contains nothing but a label and a
> That is not the same behavior as )RESET which clears the entirety of the
> state indicator, and in the case of Dyalog APL (can't say for APL+WIN) any

That's true, Jim, but if you use this technique, you can avoid building
up a lot of junk in the state indicator.  As long as you only have to
deal with the latest problem, it works fine.

Ted

Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. )RESET in APL+WIN 3.0

2. Working DOS Files with APL Win 3.0

3. Parsing dialog box for APL+WIN 3.0 ?

4. RDBI 3.0, VST 3.0/Win and DB2/2

5. APL+WIN and APL tutorials for CPCUG

6. APL+DOS to APL+WIN migration aid

7. Migrating APL+DOS to APL+WIN

8. Paradox and APL*PLUS II (Or APL+WIN) and Memo Fields

9. Win application experience with Win+APL?

10. synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set

11. Sync reset or async reset?

12. synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set