Idiom Library , characters, and humour
Author Message
 Idiom Library , characters, and humour

Fred Honea [carmenyfred (at) RETEMAIL.ES]
wrote ...
=================
<snip>

And a little off the subject:

One of the great theories of learning that I ran across was one, which
said that we are born with absolute and perfect knowledge. From the
instant we leave the womb, we begin to forget. So the process of learning
is not really learning, but remembering. I wish I could remember who said
that!

Fred Honea
=====================

Plato wrote it down suggesting that is was Socrates who said it.  It could
well have been Socrates, but Plato saw nothing wrong in putting his own
thoughts into the mouth of his beloved mentor!

In the text Socrates proves the proposition by getting a youth, who
professed not to know a simple geometric theorem, to come up with the
result through a series of skilful questions. This "proved" that the youth
was just remembering.

Ian Shannon

Environmental Modeller
Environmental Information & Statistics Unit
Environment Protection Authority
PO Box A290, Sydney South   1232
Australia

change the name of the state to abbreviation for correct e-mail
Phone   (+61 2) 9995 5490
Fax     (+61 2) 9995 5962

This message used 100% recycled electrons

Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:46:26 GMT
 Idiom Library , characters, and humour
Quote:
>Fred Honea [carmenyfred (at) RETEMAIL.ES]
>wrote ...
>=================
><snip>

>And a little off the subject:

>One of the great theories of learning that I ran across was one, which
>said that we are born with absolute and perfect knowledge. From the
>instant we leave the womb, we begin to forget. So the process of learning
>is not really learning, but remembering. I wish I could remember who said
>that!

>Fred Honea
>=====================

>Plato wrote it down suggesting that is was Socrates who said it.  It could
>well have been Socrates, but Plato saw nothing wrong in putting his own
>thoughts into the mouth of his beloved mentor!

>In the text Socrates proves the proposition by getting a youth, who
>professed not to know a simple geometric theorem, to come up with the
>result through a series of skilful questions. This "proved" that the youth
>was just remembering.

In the immortal words of Socrates: "I just drank WHAT?!!"

Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:24:45 GMT

1. Fw: Re: Idiom Library , characters, and humor

2. Fonts for Finn APL Idiom Library

3. CW15 : Freeware library - Unique file name (8 characters)

4. looking for a library in order to display chinese character

5. Optical Character Recognition Library??

6. Final SRFI 14: Character-set Library

7. String and character-set libraries -- final review

8. SRFI 14: Character-Set Library

9. library v. module character function lengths

10. Character encoding libraries for tcl 8.0

11. How to get smalltalk adopted (humour?)

12. Humour - Real Programmers Don't Use Fortran