Number of posts to Usenet language groups
Author Message
 Number of posts to Usenet language groups

From a recent thread that was cross-posted to all comp.lang Usenet groups,
it is interesting to compare the number of articles posted to the various
groups. This might indicate the relative popularities of languages, at
least as far as Usenet readership is concerned:

  Group:       Count: Index (APL=1):
  ------------ ------ --------------
  c++          73328  22.4
  c            57619  17.6
  Pascal       43920  13.4
  basic.visual 35071  10.7
  ada          16122   4.9
  Smalltalk    15100   4.6
  fortran      12496   3.8
  forth         8022   2.5
  basic.misc    7581   2.3
  misc          7250   2.2
  lisp          6531   2.0
  eiffel        5478   1.7
  prolog        3795   1.2
  apl           3271   1.0
  modula2       3225   1.0
  objective-c   2094   0.6
  functional    1911   0.6
  clos          1079   0.3

Martin Gfeller, Reuters, Risk Management Systems

Phone [+41 1] 631 7380; Fax [+41 1] 631 7899

Fri, 30 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
   Martin Gfeller writes:
  > This might indicate the relative popularities of languages
The statistics you showed is interesting for what it shows but also for what
it does not show (just like a bikini ;-)).

It would be interesting to know how many people contribute to each as well
as how many read these postings. Not to mention historical data to see if
they are increasing or decreasing. How many lines of text is in each
posting.
Age and sex of the contributor. If they are artistically inclined. If they
had
a difficult childhood and so on.

I was wandering why there is no mention of cobol there ?

According to the number of programmers out there then cobol is probably
the most popular computer language. Even if I have not written a single line
of cobol in my life I now and again need to read a few. It never stops to
amaze me that it is still around. Same as people are always asking me
what APL is and those who have heard of it in the past are wandering
why APL is still around. Easier to tell them about Visual J.

It is of course impossible to measure the quality of the postings ?
/Gosi

Fri, 30 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of posts to Usenet language groups

Quote:
>From a recent thread that was cross-posted to all comp.lang Usenet groups,
>it is interesting to compare the number of articles posted to the various
>groups. This might indicate the relative popularities of languages, at
>least as far as Usenet readership is concerned:
>  Group:       Count: Index (APL=1):
>  ------------ ------ --------------
>  c++          73328  22.4
>  c            57619  17.6
>  pascal       43920  13.4
>  basic.visual 35071  10.7
>  ada          16122   4.9
>  smalltalk    15100   4.6
>  fortran      12496   3.8
>  forth         8022   2.5
>  basic.misc    7581   2.3
>  misc          7250   2.2
>  lisp          6531   2.0
>  eiffel        5478   1.7
>  prolog        3795   1.2
>  apl           3271   1.0
>  modula2       3225   1.0
>  objective-c   2094   0.6
>  functional    1911   0.6
>  clos          1079   0.3

The low number of APL articles is another example of the concise
nature of the language!

Regards ... Gary

Fri, 30 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

2. Usenet group for PL/M language

3. Usenet group for PL/M language

4. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

5. Usenet group for PL/M language

6. Usenet group for PL/M language

7. Usenet group for PL/M language

8. How to start a usenet news group ?