Undeliverable Message
Author Message
 Undeliverable Message

Subject:       apl-l UseNet batch for Sun Dec 22 23:59:02 AST 1996 [No Gate]

Message not delivered to recipients below.  Press F1 for help with VNM
error codes.

Contents of apl-l UseNet batch for Sun Dec 22 23:59:02 AST 1996 [No Gate]:

  1. Subject: Triste nouvelle

  placing a single line in the body of the message saying

  SIGNOFF apl-l

===> Start of article 1

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl
Subject: Triste nouvelle
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 15:35:53 -0800

Chers amis d'APL

Voici une triste nouvelle : notre ami Gerard Langlet

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~scherer/langlet/whoisGL.html

est s

Christian

| Christian SCHERER             | Future belongs to those who have      |
| (the old unix guy)            | the longest memory.                   |
| http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~scherer/ ________________________(Nietzsche)_____|

===> End of articles for Sun Dec 22 23:59:02 AST 1996

Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Undeliverable Message

Hi Everyone,

I have been using and selling  APL  for over 20 years now. In my opinion
the purest and cleanest APL is APL68000. The file-system along with
certain system-functions like Quad-BOX, Quad-DR and Quad-DBR make writing
applications even easier . Also the handling of boolean data ( 68000
internals  ) allows for greater flexibilty( due to "true-bit"
representation internally requiring very little space ) in deciding how to
solve problems.  ( APL68000 runs on most 68000 hardware as wel as the
power-PC- risc-chips ).

However, apart from these spontaneous comments, APL breaks language
barriers by using the Greek-based maths-symbols. The fact that "one"
symbol replaces compete words as in other languages means less "typing"
and more time to think!
On top of which, the future hardware will be based on parallel processing
architecture and APL is about the only language which due to it's "nature"
is perfect for implentation on such hardware-architectures. This means
that "source-code" will in most cases not need to be changed in order to
get optimal performance on such future machines.

In Saarbruecken in Germany, Dr. Jurgen Sauermann ( a friend and earlier
employee of mine ) wrote his Doctorate on parallel-computer-architecture
and built such a machine in the Lab. An  APL-Interpreter  was then written
for the machine which produced a "constant"-performance exceeding that of
the fastest Cray machine at "burst"-rate.

What I am saying to all you good APL chaps,  is don't let the
"junior-fashion boys" get you down when almost every year "turbo-C-this"
and "turbo-Z-that" or "J-K" or "JAVA & Co." repeatedly appear to be hailed
as the newest and best language since sliced bread! I've observed this
phenomena since 1972   and all the prophets ( and their product's profits!
) have "again and again" disappeared with time !!

Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Undeliverable Message

Quote:

> Hi Everyone,

> I have been using and selling  APL  for over 20 years now. In my opinion
> the purest and cleanest APL is APL68000. The file-system along with
> certain system-functions like Quad-BOX, Quad-DR and Quad-DBR make writing
> applications even easier . Also the handling of boolean data ( 68000
> internals  ) allows for greater flexibilty( due to "true-bit"
> representation internally requiring very little space ) in deciding how to
> solve problems.  ( APL68000 runs on most 68000 hardware as wel as the
> power-PC- risc-chips ).

> [...]

Hi,

I agree, that's why I've been working with APL68000 in my work with
neural networks for years.

But now I've decided to move toward J, and I am disapointed that's a
true J optimized for PowerPC risc chips doesn't exist. I hope it will
come.

Patrick Benoit

Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Undeliverable Message

Quote:

> I have been using and selling  APL  for over 20 years now. In my opinion
> the purest and cleanest APL is APL68000.

The APL purism is one point. I apriciate also the new APL innovations
like contro structures, namespaces and dynamic functions introduced by
Dyalog. Such progress is good to making APL compatible with the new
programming ideas.

Anssi

Fri, 25 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Undeliverable Message

2. ccMail SMTPLINK Undeliverable Message

3. (Fwd) ccMail SMTPLINK Undeliverable Message

4. Undeliverable Message

5. Undeliverable Mail

6. Undeliverable mail: temporarily unable to deliver

7. Undeliverable Mail

8. Undeliverable Mail

9. Undeliverable: Re: Application

10. Undeliverable: Re: Movie