APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE
Author Message
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

Does anyone have any experience(s) they could share...?

Fri, 16 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

Quote:

>Does anyone have any experience(s) they could share...?

The more interesting of the two is TCP/IP.  I've been playing with a
future feature of APL+ called []NI (pronounced Quad Knee) that supports
sockets and TCP/IP.  I say playing because it's the most fun I've had with
APL since gui objects.

In a few minutes I was able to write some simple programs that 'talked'
using my own protocol. This was cross machine and cross platform.   I
spent a couple of hours and was able to create a  web server.

 The biggest problem I've found in doing tcp/ip  is having the time to
read through the RFCs. It's also hard understanding what the author of the
RFC is trying to simply say in 110 pages.  The fun way to solve both of
these problems is just don't do it.  Instead, spy on both ends of a
connection and learn what protocol is being used.  After you figure it all
out, you can go back and read (or re-read) the RFC and verify the results.

-michael steiner

or

Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

Quote:

> >Does anyone have any experience(s) they could share...?

> The more interesting of the two is TCP/IP.  I've been playing with a
> future feature of APL+ called []NI (pronounced Quad Knee) that supports
> sockets and TCP/IP.  I say playing because it's the most fun I've had with
> APL since gui objects.

Are there specifications available for this []NI function?  Will we have
to wait for APL+Win 2.0 to see them?

--
|\/| Randy A MacDonald       |"We ARE the weirdos, mister!"

     BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

     I use Real J            | Also http://www.godin.com/godin/
------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-

Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

writes:

Quote:
>> The more interesting of the two is TCP/IP.  I've been playing with a
>> future feature of APL+ called []NI (pronounced Quad Knee) that supports
>> sockets and TCP/IP.  I say playing because it's the most fun I've had
with
>> APL since gui objects.

>Are there specifications available for this []NI function?  Will we have
>to wait for APL+Win 2.0 to see them?

Sorry, Good News and Bad News.  The bad news is that  []NI won't be part
of APL+Win 2.0.  The good news is we are already planning for the next
version of APL+Win.

As for specifications, we are currently provide all the WinSock 1.1
features, but are investigating making them easier to use.  This may
include 'gui-like' events for sockets.  It's in a changing state right
now, so It's hard (and too early) to go into details.

-michael

Sat, 24 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

Here is a little APL brain teaser: "How can you sum a vector if your plus
key is broken" or to put it in another way, give a concise expression to
return the sum of a vector which does not use the symbol "+".

              -David E. Siegel
               Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

As some of you will know, APL2000 recently held its first User's
Conference in Florida.   (I understand that a write-up will be in the next
issue of Vector).  We think that it went well.

APL2000 is strongly considering holding its 2nd User's Conference next
October (1997) at the same site in Orlando.  Does anyone have any comments
or suggestions as to: site, timing, things to include, things NOT to
include, or any other issue?  If so, please post such suggestions, or send

comments.

              -David E. Siegel
               Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

Quote:
> ... a concise expression to return the sum of a vector

[spoiler ahead]

                1&#.

                                        Martin Neitzel

(Where's the "brain teasing" ? ;-)

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

Quote:

>Here is a little APL brain teaser: "How can you sum a vector if your plus
>key is broken" or to put it in another way, give a concise expression to
>return the sum of a vector which does not use the symbol "+".

this is an old one...if v is the vector do 1{base value}v

mike

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

to comp.lang.apl about "Broken Key problem":
 >Here is a little APL brain teaser: "How can you sum a vector if your plus
 >key is broken" or to put it in another way, give a concise expression to
 >return the sum of a vector which does not use the symbol "+".

My one-minute-solution: Count copies of zero.
Restriction: integers only

   # 2 3 6 999 999999 # 0
1001009

1001009
   +/2 3 6 999 999999
1001009

Copy=: Count=: #

WITH=: &

Sum=: Count ATOP Copy WITH 0

   Sum 2 3 6 999 999999
1001009

JoHo
----------------
Joachim Hoffmann

--- OffRoad 1.9q registered to Joachim Hoffmann

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

1 basevalue vector

Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

writes:

Quote:
>Subject:    Broken Key problem

>Date:       6 Nov 1996 08:11:24 -0500

>Here is a little APL brain teaser: "How can you sum a vector if your plus
>key is broken" or to put it in another way, give a concise expression to
>return the sum of a vector which does not use the symbol "+".

Every child knows that two minuses make a plus. "Hey dad, that C--
on my report card is really a C+". So:

   plus=. --

   plus/ 2 3 5 7 11
28

Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL communications via TCP/IP or DDE

Quote:

> Here is a little APL brain teaser: "How can you sum a vector if your plus
> key is broken" or to put it in another way, give a concise expression to
> return the sum of a vector which does not use the symbol "+".

>               -David E. Siegel
>                Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

-/X {x} ({rho}X){rho} _1 1

--
|\/| Randy A MacDonald       |"We ARE the weirdos, mister!"

     BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

     I use Real J            | Also http://www.godin.com/godin/
------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-

Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Program Communication Via Tcp/Ip

2. TCP-IP communication

3. Point to point communication over TCP/IP

4. tcp/ip communication with LabVIEW

5. dpwish TCP/IP communications

6. JPEG download via TCP/IP (Socket Control)

7. reading a file via tcp/ip

8. Sending/Reciving packets via TCP/IP?

9. CLIENT (Windows 3.1 or 95 or NT) to MVS-CICS via TCP/IP or other gateway

10. Prolog access to Oracle via tcp/ip

11. From Unix to PSTN via TCP/IP

12. TCP/IP, TN3270 & APL/370