APL = A Programming Language Yes?
Author Message
 APL = A Programming Language Yes?

I've noticed some posts here that say that APL means Array
Processing Language.  Is that something new?

I ask, because I remember, a long time ago, that someone
said APL meant A Programming Language.  And when I looked
at the FAQ here, it mentions Ken Iverson's book from
1962 called A Programming Language.  Since I'm under
the impression he invented APL, perhaps that's what APL
means?

Or is it now a generic term for Array Processing Languages
since there are so many languages now and the original
meaning, although simple yet elegant, does not convey or connote
the particular power of array processing.

Adam Sundor

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. yes yes yes

2. FAQ for A Programming Language (APL), where?

3. ASCII support in APL (was Programming language vote - results)

4. APL vs. Array Programming Languages

5. Foreign language default Yes/No button.

6. Change language for button yes and no

7. kernel mode programs (yes, this is on topic) (fwd)

8. kernel mode programs (yes, this is on topic)

9. Please help - program to achieve a yes or no answer

10. I-APL, Vanguard APL, and APL.68000

11. A Language Primer required for A Programming Language

12. Use a new language: Structured Programming Language