Chief Officer's position wanted
Author Message
 Chief Officer's position wanted

Experienced, educated Chief Officer with Master's License is looking for
permanent employment.

Kind regards

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chief Officer's position wanted
Quote:

>Experienced, educated Chief Officer with Master's License is looking for
>permanent employment.
>For further details please mail to

<snip>

The usenet newsgroup comp.lang.apl is for disscussion of the APL computer
language.  Please post msgs like the above in one of the misc.jobs.* or biz.*
groups, or some other group where it would be on-topic.  This is more likely to
get good results, and is the polite way to post.

[Posted & emailed]

                 -David E. Siegel

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chief Officer's position wanted
Quote:

> >Experienced, educated Chief Officer with Master's License is looking for

                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
> >permanent employment.
> >For further details please mail to
> <snip>

> The usenet newsgroup comp.lang.apl is for disscussion of the APL computer
> language.  Please post msgs like the above in one of the misc.jobs.* or biz.*
> groups, or some other group where it would be on-topic.  This is more likely to
> get good results, and is the polite way to post.

My guess is that poster was not being impolite.  He probably made the perfectly
reasonable inference that comp.lang.apl was related to the shipping company
(cf. http://www.apl.com).

sa (himself ex of the U.S.A.R.P. research vessel U.S.N.S Eltanin, 1969-1972).

Quote:

> [Posted & emailed]

>                  -David E. Siegel

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chief Officer's position wanted
Stevan Apter writes on Monday, October 19:

Quote:
> My guess is that poster was not being impolite.  He probably made the perfectly
> reasonable inference that comp.lang.apl was related to the shipping company
> (cf. http://www.apl.com).
> sa (himself ex of the U.S.A.R.P. research vessel U.S.N.S Eltanin, 1969-1972).

My first contact with APL was in 1996, when I travelled from
Hong Kong to San Francisco on the S.S. President Wilson of the
American President Lines.  (My next contact with APL was in
1974 in a probability course in college.)  :-)

Have a nice day.

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chief Officer's position wanted

Quote:
>My guess is that poster was not being impolite.  He probably made the
>perfectly
>reasonable inference that comp.lang.apl was related to the shipping company
>(cf. http://www.apl.com).

I din't think of that, it sounds reasonable.  However I assumed that it was
ignorance rather than malice, which is why I sent a note directly to the poster
rather than a complaint to his ISP, which is my usual response to off-topic
posts.

                 -David E. Siegel

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chief Officer's position wanted

Quote:
>> (cf. http://www.apl.com).

> My first contact with APL was in 1996, when I travelled from
> Hong Kong to San Francisco on the S.S. President Wilson of the
> American President Lines.

That is the best I have seen in c.l.a in a long time :-)

/Gosi - Jack of all trades, master of none

Sat, 07 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chief Officer's position wanted
No wonder Roger is able to be so productive.  He lives in reverse time.
:-)

Regards,
David Liebtag

Sat, 07 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chief Officer's position wanted
Dear God .... A FAQ has been posted 2 Nov 1998  (think it is about 50k) ...
God forbid ...huge bandwidth .. plus huge disk requirement around the world.
I thought APL was a dying language ... glad to see you are helping to end
its suffering.  Sorry ... I only pay to buy the stuff ... I hope you are
well paid for killing the same stuff
Please call my ISP ... (I am really glad to know that you have the power to
restrict my power of speech... I live in Illinois and think Lincoln would be
impressed too) It is fairly easy for me to translate old time comic
symbols"?!*##%" or whatever into appropriate four letter words
I have not found an APL/J symbol to recognize God
I am not smart (I wish ... I certainly am not) .... but I do know when I
have been offended (thought a day when any fool could vote was a good time
to send you a thank you note)
John Brenton Rowell ... ISP enteract.com

Quote:
>>My guess is that poster was not being impolite.  He probably made the
>>perfectly
>>reasonable inference that comp.lang.apl was related to the shipping
company
>>(cf. http://www.apl.com).

>I din't think of that, it sounds reasonable.  However I assumed that it was
>ignorance rather than malice, which is why I sent a note directly to the
poster
>rather than a complaint to his ISP, which is my usual response to off-topic
>posts.

>                 -David E. Siegel

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chief Officer's position wanted
By coincidence, the size of the (forbidden) binary "J" picture Greg H sent
in October was 56 kB (including the text)...................

Again, i would be happy to see the FAQ coming as a binary attachment. A ZIP
file. A binary thing.

But let's be glad that someone is willing to maintain the FAQ. My thanks to
the author.

/ Tomas

:Dear God .... A FAQ has been posted 2 Nov 1998  (think it is about 50k)
:God forbid ...huge bandwidth .. plus huge disk requirement around the
world.
:I thought APL was a dying language ... glad to see you are helping to end
:its suffering.  Sorry ... I only pay to buy the stuff ... I hope you are
:well paid for killing the same stuff
:Please call my ISP ... (I am really glad to know that you have the power
:restrict my power of speech...
:[snip]
:John Brenton Rowell ... ISP enteract.com

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chief Officer's position wanted

Quote:

>>Dear God .... A FAQ has been posted 2 Nov 1998  (think it is about 50k) ...
>God forbid ...huge bandwidth .. plus huge disk requirement around the world.
>I thought APL was a dying language ... glad to see you are helping to end
>its suffering.
> Sorry ... I only pay to buy the stuff ... I hope you are
>well paid for killing the same stuff
>Please call my ISP ... (I am really glad to know that you have the power to
>restrict my power of speech... I live in Illinois and think Lincoln would be
>impressed too) It is fairly easy for
>me to translate old time comic
>symbols"?!*##%" or whatever into appropriate four letter words
>I have not found an APL/J symbol to recognize God
>I am not smart (I wish ... I certainly am not) .... but I do know when I
>have been offended (thought a day when any fool could vote was a good time
>to send you a thank you note)
>John Brenton Rowell ... ISP enteract.com

Much of your msg does not make sense to me.  I have no particular power to
restrict anyone's speech, or their posting rights.  I can complaint to an ISP,
as can anyone else.  The ISP can act on a complaint, or ignore it.  An ISP is
not a government, it is a buisnes, with which a user has a contract, which
usually includes limits on how the service may be used.  If a complaint calls a
violation of this contract to the ISP's attention, it could terminate service
if the contract so specifies, or take other action.

Free speeech does not mean that private parties must host your speech, not that
newspapers must publish your letters, nor  that others may not complain about
your statements.

No one pays me to complain about off-topic posts in c.l.a.  I do it in my own
interest, and as a public service to readers of news groups.  I do it when and
as I see fit.  Others can complain, or write to ISP's in oppisition to
complaints, should they choose. Some ISPs pay attention to complaints, some
don't.

I still think that, at least as usenet is currently set up, binaries, even
on-topic binaries, should not be posted.  (An exception is usually made for
very short (<1k) PGP and similar signatures.)

The APL FAQ is quite large.  It could be posted in multiple parts, or a briefer
version could be posted, with the full version available by FTP.  This would be
up to the FAQ maintainer.  In any case, the FAQ is clearly on-topic, and is not
a binary.

Frequent apparence of binaries, even relatively short binaries (say 20-50k)
will cause some news sites to drop this group or set its retention time to only
a few days.  How many will do this can not be accurately predicted.  Some will
not unless the group becomes very large, some will not in any case.

I am sorry if my actions have offended or upset anyone, but they seemed (and
still seem) reasonable to me.

I spend a good deal of unpaid time working to promote and assist APL (and J)
and i don't think that I am "helping to kill it" by trying to keep the APL
newsgroup on-topic.

                 -David E. Siegel

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Senior Research Asst., Research Officer or Senior R.O. position

2. WANTED: Chief Engineer of Biomedical/Lab-Control Systems

3. WAdaS '96 - e-mail from Dr. Charles Engle, AJPO Chief

4. Ada95 Chief Developer to speak at Tri-ADa '95 Conference

5. Senior Research Officer position & R.O. or S.R.Asst. position available

6. Wanted: Hints'n'Tips'n'Bits'n'Bobs

7. France, Paris : jobs offered : Smalltalk Senior Software engineer/Chief architect

8. FRANCE : PARIS : JOBS OFFERED : SMALLTALK SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER AND CHIEF ARCHITECT

9. Computer Services Officer , full time, Ottawa Canada

10. Technical Officer, 2 year term, Canadian Hydraulics Centre

11. Bilingual, Technical Officer, Institute for National Measurement Standards, Ottawa, ON

12. France, Paris : jobs offered : Smalltalk Senior Software engineer/Chief architect