APL terminal program for MS-DOS wanted
Author Message
 APL terminal program for MS-DOS wanted

I've just been given an account on a colleague's SUN workstation, where he
wants us to work together on some math research projects using his favorite
language, APL.  :-)  I'd like to be able to do some of the work from my
home, where I have a PC-clone with VGA graphics and a modem.  So the question
is, what exists in terms of software to allow such a micro to function as an
APL _terminal_?

P.S.  I have another machine in my office from which I can run NCSA telnet
to connect to other machines.  If there was a way to get that to act as an
APL terminal also, that would be ideal.  But for now, the home machine is
more critical.

(Apologies to any who saw a similar note from me in comp.os.msdos.apps.)
--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 These are my opinions.  Any similarities to the   |    Leo C.

Sat, 05 Nov 1994 02:42:19 GMT
 APL terminal program for MS-DOS wanted

|> home, where I have a PC-clone with VGA graphics and a modem.  So the question
|> is, what exists in terms of software to allow such a micro to function as an
|> APL _terminal_?

- STS... eh, Manugistics' APL*+ for the pc allows terminal emulation,
  with the APL character set in APL. (note their educational discount).

- once you get the above APL, you also get vgachar.com (or some such)
  that installs (and another that removes) the APL charset, which
  would (I think) allow you to use any terminal sw you normally use
  (e.g. Kermit). I think Sharp APL (ftp'able from waterloo) comes with
  something similar but for EGA (VGA does this too). I suspect that
  other vendors, such as IBM, would give you something similar also.

If you use  windows I don't know if the above works, but the vendors
probably supply equivalent solutions.

|> P.S.  I have another machine in my office from which I can run NCSA telnet
|> to connect to other machines.  If there was a way to get that to act as an

I run PCNFS, but this and (my version of) APL are incompatible due to
resource hogging (I reboot, often POR with a different .sys etc). The
.com type solution should work here too?

--
Sam Sirlin

Sat, 05 Nov 1994 10:10:23 GMT
 APL terminal program for MS-DOS wanted
Quote:

>I've just been given an account on a colleague's SUN workstation, where he
>wants us to work together on some math research projects using his favorite
>language, APL.  :-)  I'd like to be able to do some of the work from my
>home, where I have a PC-clone with VGA graphics and a modem.  So the question
>is, what exists in terms of software to allow such a micro to function as an
>APL _terminal_?

It depends on what flavor of terminal you need to emulate.

I.P. Sharp Associates (Now "Reuters Information Systems Canada Limited")
had an HDS-108 emulator which is variously known as: PC108, RC108,
Reuter Connect...    It does a good job, and is probably available from
their Toronto office.

Iverson SOftware Inc (ISI) offers SHARP APL/PC with a dumb ASCII terminal
AP, which might be adequate for the job. It also lets you use your
PC as an APL system, which might be a different way to solve your
problem.

SHARP APL/PC is available as shareware from a number of bulletin baords,
including watserv1.waterloo.edu, and a higher performance version is
also available for $$ from ISI directly. (ISI is at 33 Major St, Toronto)(.

Bob

Snake Island Research Inc  (416) 368-6944   FAX: (416) 360-4694
18 Fifth Street, Ward's Island
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2B9
Canada

Sat, 05 Nov 1994 23:29:44 GMT
 APL terminal program for MS-DOS wanted

Quote:

>I've just been given an account on a colleague's SUN workstation, where he
>wants us to work together on some math research projects using his favorite
>language, APL.  :-)  I'd like to be able to do some of the work from my
>home, where I have a PC-clone with VGA graphics and a modem.  So the question
>is, what exists in terms of software to allow such a micro to function as an
>APL _terminal_?

There are two ways I've done this one. The first is to use MS-DOS Kermit
3.x and remap the keyboard and screen appropriately, and use IBM APL2/PC's
font TSR. You will probably have to make your own map, but it isn't
particularly hard; just boring. MS-Kermit will also allow you to do
color Tektronix graphics over the modem, which means if your APL can handle
that kind of output this is a cheap (i.e. free) and fast solution. This
is what I set up for myself when I worked at Morgan Stanley.

The second way is to get SLIP/PPP running on the PC and the workstation
and then put up X Windows on the PC. This costs some money, and isn't
quite as quick as the Kermit solution, but it does a lot more for you.
Now My favorite way to get SLIP and X running on a PC is called Dell SysVR4
but this is likely to be a bit of stretch for your project.

Now there is always the chance that some sort of ASCII mode will be supported
by the APL in question, but this will likely drive one of you nuts when
you try to talk over your code...

Quote:
>P.S.  I have another machine in my office from which I can run NCSA telnet
>to connect to other machines.  If there was a way to get that to act as an
>APL terminal also, that would be ideal.  But for now, the home machine is

If this machine does X Windows you shouldn't have too much trouble. If
it's a DOS box, MS-Kermit is cool with some networks, so that remains a
possibility, too.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

Sat, 05 Nov 1994 22:54:50 GMT