APL2/PC in DOS Window with Win95 using APL fonts
Author Message
 APL2/PC in DOS Window with Win95 using APL fonts

Has anyone figured out how to use an APL font on APL2/PC
in a DOS Windows on WIndows 95?   The APL font works
fine in full screen mode, but I can't seem to figure out where
I could squirrel in an APL TrueType font.  APL2/PC under DOS
works fine in Windows 95, by the way.
                                Art

Tue, 08 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2/PC in DOS Window with Win95 using APL fonts

Quote:

> Has anyone figured out how to use an APL font on APL2/PC
> in a DOS Windows on WIndows 95?   The APL font works
> fine in full screen mode, but I can't seem to figure out where
> I could squirrel in an APL TrueType font.  APL2/PC under DOS
> works fine in Windows 95, by the way.
>                                Art

<<< End of message >>>

I'm not so sure about Windows 95, but in Windoes 3.1 and Windows for
Workgroups, you cannot use TrueType fonts in DOS windows. I had the
same problem using Kermit in a DOS window as a terminal-emulator to
Dyalog APL on UNIX machines (Sun Sparc, IBM RS/6000, etc.) The
problem was easily solved by overwriting the 10x18 font in DOSAPP.FON
with your vendor's 8x16 font for DOS after making it 10x18 (not
difficult--put the extra 2 bits to the right and bottom, and you only
really need to fiddle with the box-drawing characters). The task is
easy, it took me only 4 hours (using APL of course!) and now my
amended DOSAPP.FON is used by everyone in this company.

There are some disadvantages with this scheme. Since all vendors'
atomic vectors are different and you can only have one DOSAPP.FON it
is not possible to run different APLs in DOS windows on the same
machine at the same time. Another reason for a standardized atomic
vector! However, since you are only altering one size of the several
fonts in DOSAPP.FON, you could code another APL into another size
(more difficult but still possible). And any other application that
requires the ordinary character set can use yet another different
font.

John Sullivan                Tel (+44) 01932 567311
Chief Programmer             Fax (+44) 01932 568145
SimCorp Ltd                  Snail mail: on request

Fri, 11 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2/PC in DOS Window with Win95 using APL fonts

Quote:

> Has anyone figured out how to use an APL font on APL2/PC
> in a DOS Windows on WIndows 95?   The APL font works
> fine in full screen mode, but I can't seem to figure out where
> I could squirrel in an APL TrueType font.  APL2/PC under DOS
> works fine in Windows 95, by the way.
>                                 Art

What codepage(s)support APL ?

Where are the APL characters in Unicode ?

--
/Gosi

562 5441
http://www.jsoftware.com

Fri, 11 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL Font in Win95 Dos window

2. APL2/PC Fonts and Windows 2000

3. getting apl characters using ibm apl2 on pc

4. APL2/PC and memory in DOS/Windows

5. APL2/PC display font problem

6. APL2/PC display font problem

7. APL2/PC HP Fonts ??

8. APL2/PC and Win95

9. Statistical library for APL2/PC and Dyalog APL/W

10. CDD 3009 with GUI running on WIN95 dos box - Using BEEP or dataentry ERROR - HUNG WIN95

11. APL2/PC and DOS 5.0

12. APL2/PC 32 bit Dos Extender