APL2 and Windows 95
Author Message
 APL2 and Windows 95

Quote:

> It is interesting to note that APL2 is considered such a high priority
> item that OS/2 will not live without it. The OS/2 group is putting up
> a fight to not let APL2 be made into a Windows product. It is also
> strange that the OS/2 group is allowed to {*filter*} any effort to make
> APL2 a worthy competitor under Windows.

> I knew these kind of dirty deelings were all the part of every day life
> in the "old" IBM. I am surprised that they continue now that IBM has
> proven to the world that their "old" buraucracy and arrogance does
> not work.

We would like to assure our valued customers that Mr. Helgason's
comments are entirely untrue.  Mr. Helgason does not work for IBM
and is not privy to any inside information.  We do not know where
he gets his ideas, but they are not in accord with the facts.

The IBM OS/2 development group has not been "putting up a fight" to
prevent development of an APL2 product for Windows.  Our only contact
with the OS/2 group has been in helping each other make sure our        s
products work well together.

When Mr. Helgason worked for IBM in years gone by, the company did
indeed have policies which deterred development of products for non-IBM
platforms.  These days are truly long gone.  We have had an APL2 product
for Sun Solaris for a number of years and IBM already has a wide
variety of products that run on Windows systems.  Our tardiness in
releasing an APL2 product for Windows has not been due to arrogance
or a bureaucratic attitude; it is more accurate to simply portray it as
a series of poor business decisions.

We, and our management, are well aware of the need for an implementation
of an APL2 for Windows product.  We are pursuing several avenues towards
this end.  In fact, I will be demonstrating an experimental prototype of
APL2 that runs on Windows 95 at the German APL GUIDE meeting in
Frankfurt in two weeks.

This should not be construed as formal announcement of a product.
We are still constructing a business case.  We would welcome hearing
from customers who have a serious business interest in such a
product.  Expressions of genuine intent to purchases licenses would
help us to build an effective business case.

Regards,
David Liebtag
IBM APL Products and Services

Mon, 28 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2 and Windows 95

Quote:

> We, and our management, are well aware of the need for an
> implementation of an APL2 for Windows product.  We are pursuing
> several avenues towards this end.  In fact, I will be demonstrating
> an experimental prototype of APL2 that runs on Windows 95 at the
> German APL GUIDE meeting in Frankfurt in two weeks.

Great news !

Congratulations on this acchievment.

I am sure this will further the good benefits of APL2 to all of us !

--

http://www2.simi.is/~gosi
http://www.jsoftware.com

Tue, 29 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2 and Windows 95
Re:  APL2 and Windows 95

A number of people have apparently seen David Liebtag's
statement "... I will be demonstrating an experimental
prototype of APL2 that runs on Windows 95 at the German
APL GUIDE meeting in Frankfurt..."

The meeting in question is the spring meeting of the German
APL working group of GSE (GUIDE Share Europe). Participation
is usually limited to a corporate membership of GSE, which
in turn is often connected with being a mainframe customer
of IBM.

This meeting, which takes place in Frankfurt April 22nd-24th,
will be more open than before to attendees, whose employers
are not GSE members. The participation fee is DEM 100 (plus
hotel accommodation if required). We will probably have a
few places available, but I need to know in the next days
if you are interested.

Other topics will include tutorials on APL2 cooperative
processing, building Internet/Intranet servers with APL,
object based forms/reports/tables etc.

Timo Laurmaa
Chairman of APL GSE

Thu, 01 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2 and Windows 95

Quote:

> We, and our management, are well aware of the need for an implementation
> of an APL2 for Windows product.  We are pursuing several avenues towards
> this end.  In fact, I will be demonstrating an experimental prototype of
> APL2 that runs on Windows 95 at the German APL GUIDE meeting in
> Frankfurt in two weeks.

David,

Wonderful!!!

Will you come to New York and demo APL2 for Windows at a SIGAPL meeting?

Alan

Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. apl2 and windows 95

2. ANNOUNCE: Helga - ODBC,CGI,Tcl,Windows NT,Windows 95,MS Windows

3. APL2 for 95/nt looks good!

4. APL2 on Win'95/NT

5. Object Studio 5.0 for Windows 95 announced with Microsoft Launch 95

6. Win '95 DDE calls in ObjectREXX for Windows 95/NT

7. Ada 83 or 95 Compiler for Windows 95 or NT

8. ADA 95 Compiler Windows 95/QNX

9. Help - Developing Windows 95 apps with ADA 95

10. ada 95 for windows 95

11. ADA'95 Compilers for Windows 95 and MS-DOS

12. Windows 3.1 to Windows '95