Windows XP: DOS death-knell?
Author Message
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?

Ted Edwards wrote (while I was talking about removable hard disks):

Quote:
> Why do you not like "Multi-booting"?

Ted,
It not so much I dislike "Multi-booting", I just prefer removable hard
disks. (Which do not rule out the possibility of "Multi-booting", just
make it unnecessary.) However you might like to consider the following
points:-

1) I have had several hard disks "die" on me in the past.
Tyring to recover data from a damaged hard disk is difficult, recovering
from multi-partitions is harder, recovery from a hard disk with
partitions with varing formats (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, LINUX, OS2...) is even
harder.

Different software tools are normally required for each format.

2) Size requirments of different OSs.
The space requirments of new OSs keeps increasing. Many of my older hard
disks are to small to even fit a new OS onto, never mind multi booting
but are quite adquate for their current task.

Some of my PCs have BIOS that only allow access to the first 8GB of a
hard disk. (Some of my older PC have even smaller limits <grin>.)

8GB is not enought disk space (I think) to fit and run Dos6.22/win3.11,
Win95, Win98/se, OS2, WinNT4, WinMe, Win2000, Linux and now Win XP. What
was that about not putting all your eggs in one basket?

3) I dont wont to install/run BETA releases of an OS (eg XP and
Whistler) on hard disks with my "production" OSs. Compatability of
existing OSs with multi-booting and as yet undefined new OS can not be
known in advance.

4) Adding Multi-booting onto "my" new PC (a 1GHz "MEDION") bought with a
"pre-installed" OS (WinME) would invalidate the support contract and/or
software licence. (I made sure that adding new hardware to this PC would
NOT. Some PC suppliers dont even allow you to open the PC case without
invalidating the warrantee!)

The recovery CD provided with mine (many new PC with WinMe dont even
have a CD) automaticly reformats the whole 20GB hard disk (as 2
partitions) before re-installing the OS.

I have also seen the (automatic reformatting) with an IBM PC (sold in
the UK) supplied with Win95. It that case, the PC came with 2 CDs one
(with the cd lable printed in English - marked "SETUP" I think)
installed a German copy of Win95, the other (with its lable printed in
Spanish - marked "RECOVERY") installed an English copy of win95! (Guess
which I tried first.)

--
Ray Cannon
Computer Consultant

www.vector.org.uk

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:56:11 GMT
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?

Quote:
>1) I have had several hard disks "die" on me in the past.
>Tyring to recover data from a damaged hard disk is difficult, recovering
>from multi-partitions is harder, recovery from a hard disk with
>partitions with varing formats (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, LINUX, OS2...) is even
>harder.

Q. What's the technical term for people who lose data because they have
not backed up their hard disks?

A. Idiots.
--
John Sullivan    Remove the dots in yDdraigGoch for my real address.

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:49:02 GMT

 [ 32 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]