Windows XP: DOS death-knell?
Author Message
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?

Quote:

> A number of Win98 applications run on Warp 4.5 depending on the app.
> There is a product called Odin that provides a Win32 API for OS/2.

Haven't checked it for a while.  Do you happen to know if it can run
Paint Shop Pro, OziExplorer and a driver for a Parallel Port scanner?
Those three and I could kiss (for correct spelling replace k with one a
knight move away) W98 by-bye.

Ted

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:54:39 GMT
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?
tommyatkins a crit :

Quote:
> Since the two announced flavors of Windows-XP, which are intended to replace
> both the current Windows-ME and 2000 lines, are based on an NT core, it
> seems highly likely that many of the legacy DOS APL interpreters will no
> longer work.

Won't it ? By the way, does somebody know if APL2 for DOS runs
correctly in the DOS emulator of Linux ?

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:08:46 GMT
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?
Bob Cain a crit :

Quote:
> Heavy sigh.  Just thinking about OS/2 makes me sad.  One of the best
> things that never happened.

Well, none of us will have much regret for OS/2's GUI fonts, I guess.
I confess I did use OS/2 until APL2 for Windows was available, though.

Quote:
> I was one of the first kernel level
> application developers for it and think it the finest OS ever built.

Perhaps this because of that :-) I was one of its first end-users
and nothing could be further of my opinion. However - and that is
in interesting common point between OS/2 and APL, part of OS/2
reputation for slowness was due to the fact that it was used on
286 computers (20 minutes to boot), just as part of GRAPHPAK's
reputation for slowness was due to running it on 4331 computers
instead of the much quicker Pentiums available 20 years later.

Quote:
> also remember when it was more Windows compatible than Windows.  Just
> shows to go you how little technical excellence means in the brass
> knuckle world of marketing mayhem.

Having the product in the stores when people want it,
explaining to the users how it works, selling it at a
price compatible with the customer's budgets, and
having some consideration about human factors might
be the definition of "technical excellence" today.
When you buy a car, I am sure that you check for
comfortable seats, good brakes, and a minimum
of standard equipment. Trying to sell you just
a motor and four wheels will not do the
job. Even if it is an excellent motor.

Part of APL's success was perhaps due to a very clever
effort in designing its basic operations, and where
they would be located on the keyboard. This could be
compared with profit to the OS/2 checkbox asking the user
if he wants his system font to be an overtruck one :-)

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:27:51 GMT
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?

Quote:

> A number of Win98 applications run on Warp 4.5 depending on the app.
> There is a product called Odin that provides a Win32 API for OS/2.
> Some applications are problematic and others work fine. For instance,
> I use it to run Realplayer version 8 without a glitch (this is on an
> SMP PII 400 box). Odin is an open source project hosted at
> http://www.netlabs.org . Driver support is available for a lot of
> devices, so you might be able to switch over depending on your
> hardware.

Audio editing and processing apps are notoriously dependant on OS
intricacies and usually the most problematic of all apps to make work
across operating system variations but even if something like Odin could
do the job I know of no OS/2 drivers for any sound hardware except
Creative's ubiquitous but limited SB Live products.

If there could be hot switching between operating systems with file
compatibility I would deal with that but rebooting back and forth isn't
really an option for doing sound production where turnaround time is
important.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

                                             A. Einstein

////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

 To feed a hungry kid today at the cost of a click follow this link:

     http://www.thehungersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/HungerSite

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////////////////////////

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:14:45 GMT
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?

Quote:

> tommyatkins a crit :

> > Since the two announced flavors of Windows-XP, which are intended to replace
> > both the current Windows-ME and 2000 lines, are based on an NT core, it
> > seems highly likely that many of the legacy DOS APL interpreters will no
> > longer work.

> Won't it ? By the way, does somebody know if APL2 for DOS runs
> correctly in the DOS emulator of Linux ?

I asked this question some time ago and got no useful reply.

Marv Smoak
Lexington, KY

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:46:09 GMT
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?

Quote:

> APL+DOS fails under NT as you type, i.e keyboard support
> is incorrect somehow, but this has been fixed by MS under
> Win2000. Under NT, when I type as fast as I can in the
> execution window of APL+DOS, APL (or was it the whole system,
> can't recall) freezes completely after just at most 15 seconds.
> Under Win2000, I did the same for 10 minutes (more than 250 keys
> per minute) and all stayed up; I could still get 2+2 => 4.

Are you using the e=2 startup parameter to use the BIOS keyboard and not
the APL managed keyboard? I use the e=2 and have never had a problem with
NT.

Quote:
> The one area I have not checked is printing in a network
> environment. You can certainly print to LPT1 on a local printer,
> but printing on a network printer could require some tricky
> adjustment, but my feeling is that this can be solved easily.

It works fine printing over the network. You just have to issue the
appropriate commands, e.g. Novell or NT.

Don (donwiss at panix.com).

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:36:33 GMT
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?
Several posts have indicated that people think that since XP is based on
NT, itwon't be able to run DOS based interpreters.

We're wondering, why do people draw this conclusion?  Has Microsoft made
an announcement that support for DOS programs will be dropped?  If so, can
someone point me to a reference?

Thank you.

David Liebtag

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:25:02 GMT
 Windows XP: DOS death-knell?

Quote:

> > This I find is a simple alternative to "Multi-booting" allowing me to
> > keep my old hard disks (say with DOS6.22 and win3.11 + legacy
> > applications) running on the latest hardware. Then with a simple
> > closedown, swap disk, and restart, I can then be running
> > Win200/Linux/Win3x/9x/Me/NT. (I don't have an IBM WARP/OS2 disc, but I
> > might get one.)

> Why do you not like "Multi-booting"?  If you do get Warp 4, try Boot
> Master.  I run OS/2, DOS 6.22 (see below), W98 and have an OS/2
> maintenance partition.  Might add Linux at some point.  No problems and
> at least as easy as a cold re-start.  The W98, DOS and OS/2 maint
> partitions are FAT16 so there is no problem comunicating between OSs.  I
> haven't used DOS in quite a while since I haven't got any DOS stuff that
> OS/2 won't run so I may dump it.

> Ted

I might add, that when you are running this as Ted suggests, the data
(not executables) on partitions for other OSses can still be available.
I run Linux with NTFS, FAT32 and FAT16 partitions mounted.

Furthermore, if your box is powerful enough, you can run multiple OSses
simultaneously! See http://www.vmware.com/

--

Bob Hoekstra:   APL & Unix Consultant
Tele:           +44 (0)1483 771028