APL97 - Software Exchange
Author Message
 APL97 - Software Exchange

APL97, the International Conference on APL
Toronto, Canada, August 17-20, will make available
a software exchange using CD-ROM technology.

The APL97 organizing committee will produce the
Conference Proceedings on a CD-ROM, to be handed out in
the registration package. The Software Exchange will use
part of this CD-ROM.

Who can contribute?

  Anyone. You don't have to be an attendee at the conference.

What can you contribute?

  Any software or documentation appropriate to the conference
  which has no copyright restrictions, for example:

  - companies can provide their latest freeware interpreter
  - researchers/teachers can provide papers or notes they
    would like to share
  - presentations and papers are welcome from people who
    wanted to present at APL97 but could not make it onto
    the program
  - anyone can share a favourite program they wrote
  - anyone can submit a copyright-free article they wrote,
    which they would like to distribute to the conference
    audience
  - anyone can submit material that would ordinarily be a
    POSTER at a conference
  - be creative, use this CD-ROM conference opportunity to
    YOUR best advantage
  - any Array Processing Languages software (APL, J, NIAL, etc.)
    are encouraged for the exchange

Will there be any qualification of submissions?

  There will be no qualification of material; nor will there be
  any testing of material, other than basic verification that it
  was received in good order.

What format is requested?

  Put everything in ONE folder; include a text file called
  README.TXT which explains (or points to a document which
  explains) how to use the material. Use whatever format and
  internal organization you require to present your material
  to its best advantage.  Compressed format (e.g. ZIP) is not
  required. Note: We are providing standard readers for Word,
  Acrobat Reader, etc. so you don't have to provide those
  yourself.

Any size restrictions?

  Recommended limit of 5 Megabytes per application! We have
  lots of space. Large or small, we take it all.

Last date to submit material:

  July 10, 1997.

How to submit material:

  To RESERVE space on the CD-ROM, please send a note as soon as

  (1) your name
  (2) brief description of material (one to three lines is
      recommended)
  (3) interpreter(s) or compilers required
  (4) (if over 5 megabytes) estimate of amount of space required

If there are any questions or concerns, do not hestitate to
contact me as soon as possible, and I will address any issues
accordingly.

To SUBMIT material - When I receive your reservation, I will send
you a personal message explaining how to submit your material.
(Please do not send software before reserving space.)

On behalf of the APL97 organizing committee, I invite every
interested person or organization to make use of this unique
opportunity to exchange software and/or documentation about
APL, J, and other array languages.

Richard Levine
APL97 Software Coordinator

Mon, 13 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL97 - Software Exchange

[...]

In APLSE / APL*PLUS I want to end a loop when the user presses a key
(without waiting for it.)  How do I test for that?  Any special pokes or
interrupt calls?

The "obvious" bios call with 256 #INT 22 does not work, probably because
APL bypasses the bios keyboard handler.  One possibility is to exit with
BREAK, setting #ALX <- '-> 0', for example.  But I find these interrupts
unreliable and with {*filter*} side effects.

No, I do not want to use J (nor Windows, nor ...)

-------

The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University  (KVL)
Department of Economics and Natural Resources, Unit of Forestry
Thorvaldsensvej 57,  DK-1871 Frederiksberg C,  Denmark
Tel. +45 35 28 22 47.  Fax +45 31 35 78 33

Fri, 17 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL97 - Software Exchange

<
<The "obvious" bios call with 256 #INT 22 does not work, probably because
<APL bypasses the bios keyboard handler.  One possibility is to exit with
<BREAK, setting #ALX <- '-> 0', for example.  But I find these interrupts
<unreliable and with {*filter*} side effects.
<
<No, I do not want to use J (nor Windows, nor ...)

Here's a chunk of code from my plotting package that does the kind of
thing you want.  There's a lot of extra stuff going on here, but you may
find it useful if you need to detect WHICH key (or mouse button) was
pressed:

[34] | Halt graphics until a key is pressed.  <shift> 'P' dumps
[35] | screen to printer, Mouse buttons activate Marker functions.
[36] | Any other key returns the screen to text mode.
[37]  a{gets}1 #POKE 255 | Set #INKEY to numeric
[38]  a{gets}0 #POKE 254 & a{gets}#INKEY & a{gets}1 #POKE 254 | Clear #INKEY
[40] | Check input for mouse keys or Shift-P (#PEEK checks keyboard state)
[41]  b{gets}(42 42 ,6{rho} 80 112)[1+2{decode}#PEEK 275 118 166] | Code for <shift>P for kybd state
[42] l1:{branch}((308 309 ,b)=#INKEY)/b8,b9,b10 | Branch on mouse key or Shift-P
[43]  close & {branch}OUT
[44] b8:a{gets}marker(i{gets}i+1-a) & {branch}l1 | Call mouse marker function and return
[45] b9:a{gets}label(i{gets}i+1-a) & {branch}l1 | Call mouse label function and return
[46] b10:print & {branch}l1 | Execute screen dump function and return
[57] OUT: a{gets}0 #POKE 255 | Restore #INKEY to alphanumeric

This is transliterated using Jim Weigang's APLASCII format, in case it
looks a bit cryptic.  In any event, if you look up the various functions
& pokes in the manual, it should be fairly easy to do what you want.
This was written for APL*PLUS/PC Ver. 11, and as far as I know, works
fine in APLSE as well.  The only part that might get a bit tricky is that
I think they fiddled with the keyboard states (text, unified, APL) in
APLSE.

Doug White

Fri, 17 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL97 - Software Exchange

Quote:

> In APLSE / APL*PLUS I want to end a loop when the user presses a key
> (without waiting for it.)  How do I test for that?  Any special pokes or
> interrupt calls?

Here is a technique that I used in Manugistics APL+PC that uses
[]ARBIN and []INBUF:

<- is left arrow
-> is right arrow
'' are two successive single quotes (nul string)
[] is quad

Someplace in your loop put in this code

[1] A <- 0 11 2 0 0 2000 []ARBIN ''
[2] 0 []INBUF ''                        lamp   Empty the keyboard buffer
[3] -> OUT times iota or slash []AV[28 183] element A
 .
 .
 .
[10] OUT: 0 []INBUF
[11] 'Cancel processing.  Are you sure?'   ........

line 1 uses the parameter list 0 11 2 0 0 2000 and a nul argument
to quad arbin.
0=no outport
11=get keystrokes from the buffer
2=untranslated ASCII
0=no protocol checks
0=no wait (this is what makes it work if no keys were pressed)
2000=max number of keystrokes to take from the buffer (it is
     unlikely that the user could press 2000 keys during one
     pass of the loop)
When this line of code is executed, if any keys were pressed
during the loop they will be retrieved and put into the variable A.
If no keystrokes are in the buffer A is empty.

lines 2 empties the buffer to start fresh for the next pass of the loop

line 3 checks for specific keystrokes.  Here quad AV 28 and 183 are
the escape key, but you can check for any keys your application allows.

A better way is to switch to APL+WIN and put a cancel button on a form.

Regards and good luck,
George Weiss

Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL97 - Software Exchange

2. APL95 software exchange: last call

3. APL95 Software Exchange

4. APL95 software exchange

5. APL95 Software Exchange

6. APL94 Posters, Software exchange and Russian Fund

7. APL96 Software Exchange

8. APL96 Software Exchange

9. APL95 Software Exchange Update

10. SIGAPL Software Exchange Survey