Printing APL characters on a Lexmark Z42
Author Message
 Printing APL characters on a Lexmark Z42

I have APL2 1.0 running under OS/2 Warp 4.0.  I have the characters
properly displaying on my screen.  But how do I print from APL to my
Lexmark Z42 printer?  Where can I get the required driver, or whatever
I need?  Help appreciated.

Gerry

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:11:11 GMT
 Printing APL characters on a Lexmark Z42

Quote:
>I have APL2 1.0 running under OS/2 Warp 4.0.  I have the characters
>properly displaying on my screen.  But how do I print from APL to my
>Lexmark Z42 printer?  Where can I get the required driver, or whatever
>I need?  Help appreciated.

Before you can print APL on a Z42 you must be able to print on it.  I
don't see an OS/2 driver listed either at LexMark or IBM for the Z42. Is
the printer backward-compatible with another printer, such as the Z31,
Z51, 3000, 3200, 5000, 5700, 7000 or 7200, all of which have an OS/2
driver?  You may want to check with LexMark technical support. If there
is no driver there will be no printing.  If that is the case you will
need to replace the Z42 with a printer supported by OS/2. If you
recently purchased it, perhaps you can exchange it for another printer
with OS/2 drivers.

-- Dave
dhdurgee<at>verizon<dot>net

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:15:02 GMT
 Printing APL characters on a Lexmark Z42

Quote:

> >I have APL2 1.0 running under OS/2 Warp 4.0.  I have the characters
> >properly displaying on my screen.  But how do I print from APL to my
> >Lexmark Z42 printer?  Where can I get the required driver, or whatever
> >I need?  Help appreciated.

> Before you can print APL on a Z42 you must be able to print on it.  I
> don't see an OS/2 driver listed either at LexMark or IBM for the Z42. Is
> the printer backward-compatible with another printer, such as the Z31,
> Z51, 3000, 3200, 5000, 5700, 7000 or 7200, all of which have an OS/2
> driver?  You may want to check with LexMark technical support. If there
> is no driver there will be no printing.  ...

I looked at Lexmark's web site and ftp server the other day trying to help out the original poster.

Not only is there no OS/2 driver shown for the Z42, the OS/2 drivers that used to be listed for
other models such as the 3000 (which my kids have and for which I downloaded updated drivers last
year sometime) are no longer there.  A few weeks back someone posted something about this and got a
response that while OS/2 drivers had disappeared from the web pages they were still on the ftp
server.  I looked there and many of the directories that actually contain the drivers are off
limits.  I did find one directory full of drivers but unless you know the cryptic name for the
driver you need you are out of luck.

It's one thing for Lexmark to decide it's not worth the effort to produce an OS/2 driver for a new
model.  That being said, I find it impossible to understand why Lexmark would withdraw access to
drivers they have already written and used to distribute.  Is someone in the Lexmark organization on
a get OS/2 users campaign?

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:45:36 GMT
 Printing APL characters on a Lexmark Z42

Quote:
> Before you can print APL on a Z42 you must be able to print on it.  I
> don't see an OS/2 driver listed either at LexMark or IBM for the Z42. Is
> the printer backward-compatible with another printer, such as the Z31,
> Z51, 3000, 3200, 5000, 5700, 7000 or 7200, all of which have an OS/2
> driver?  You may want to check with LexMark technical support. If there
> is no driver there will be no printing.  If that is the case you will
> need to replace the Z42 with a printer supported by OS/2. If you
> recently purchased it, perhaps you can exchange it for another printer
> with OS/2 drivers.

> -- Dave

Dave:  Thanks.  I tried Z31, but the Lexmark site said there was no OS/2
driver.
I do have a Lexmark Z32, and thought the Z31 might work.  Will try others.

Gerry

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:38:32 GMT

1. Printing APL character with APL Vax

2. Printing APL Characters

3. The APL Character Set and APL Usage

4. ASCII Print Control Characters for printing with REXX/2

5. APL character set (and Mail/News/Web)

6. APL character set

7. APL character set (Adrian Smith's proposed encoding)

8. APL character set

9. APL character set (Sun xterm solution)

10. apl characters and gnu

11. APL Characters for APL95NET

12. APL characters