excel (windows) files and apl
Author Message
 excel (windows) files and apl

are there any public ws's around which will read excel (.xls) files and
extract named ranges?  thanks
--
david rothman

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 excel (windows) files and apl

Quote:
>are there any public ws's around which will read excel (.xls) files and
>extract named ranges?  thanks
>--
>david rothman

I know that APL2/PC and APL*PLUS II had workspaces that would read/write lotus files which Excel
can  read/write.  The newest APLs on the market can access Excel .xls files via DDE which makes sharing
spreadsheet or any other Windows application data very trivial.

Tue, 02 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 excel (windows) files and apl

says...

Quote:

>are there any public ws's around which will read excel (.xls) files and
>extract named ranges?  thanks
>--
>david rothman

I haven't seen any public domain wss, but I can give you pointers if you
feel like writing some code <g>.

Excel versions 2-4 use a file structure very similar to Lotus 1-2-3 files.
These files are stored on disk as a collection of one or more records.
Each of which has a record header followed by a variable length record
body. The record header consists of a record type (unsigned 2-byte
integer) followed by a record length (unsigned 2-byte integer).
The record type identifies the record. The record length equals the
length of the record body which follows.

There are over a hundred different record types but luckily you can
safely ignore most of them. You can probably get by with knowing just
the BOF, EOF, RK, NUMBER, FORMULA, DIMENSIONS, and NAME records.
The structure of these records is defined in the Microsoft Excel
Developers Kit (Version 4) by Microsoft Press. If you can't find
this book I can put together a simple description of the record
structures for you.

Excel 5 uses a similar structure but the file is not a simple DOS file
any longer but an OLE structured storage file. It is possible to read
these files as well but you have to use OLE to get to the record stream.
So if you're writing a 32-bit application you'd have to call functions
in the OLE32.DLL to get to the data. A 16-bit application would have to
call STORAGE.DLL instead.

Regards...Joe

Tue, 02 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 excel (windows) files and apl

Quote:

>>are there any public ws's around which will read excel (.xls) files and
>>extract named ranges?  thanks
>>--
>>david rothman
>I know that APL2/PC and APL*PLUS II had workspaces that would read/write lotus files which Excel
>can  read/write.  The newest APLs on the market can access Excel .xls files via DDE which makes sharing
>spreadsheet or any other Windows application data very trivial.

However it is _NOT_ trivial to read and write lotus/excel _FILES_
(without having either actually running, and without interfering with
what a user may be doing in them). I don't understand why this capability
has been left out of APL*III. It is _very_ useful.
I understand that this capability is included with Dyalog APL/W, and
I am now sorry that we decided on APL*III as an _upgrade_ (the word
is usually defined to mean that stuff that used to work is not broken).

Tue, 02 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. convert txt excel file without open the excel application

2. Create Windows Excel, Word file

3. Dyalog APL/W under Windows 2000 - problem opening files

4. Shareware APL, APL FAQ, J for Windows

5. APL+Win reading from Excel

6. APL and Excel ActiveX control

7. APL and Excel ActiveX control

8. APL2000 APL/Excel Paper/Tutorial