APL / PC /Windows
Author Message
 APL / PC /Windows

Where did YOU find the APL language itself ??
Found at IBM's site but very too expensive for me.
ThY

Fri, 21 May 2004 09:38:56 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> Where did YOU find the APL language itself ??
> Found at IBM's site but very too expensive for me.
> ThY

Buy the IBM APL2 OS/2 version (which is about $130.00) and a copy of
eComStation (an OEM packaging of OS/2) that you can get from
http://www.ecomstation.com

--
Lorne Sunley

Fri, 21 May 2004 11:00:21 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> Buy the IBM APL2 OS/2 version (which is about $130.00) and a copy of
> eComStation (an OEM packaging of OS/2) that you can get from
> http://www.ecomstation.com

> --
> Lorne Sunley

Apologies for "jumping" in ths thread, but I'm also interested. The above link is down for scheduled maintenance (I'll look again tomorrow), but let me put a couple of simple questions.
1) I'm ignorant about OEM, what does it do the "packaging of OS/2" ? A Windows emulation of OS/2?
2) AFAIK, Windows supports OEM-8bit, and this restricts fonts to alphabet. I'm working under Japanese Windows, which uses 2-bytes characters. I have tried using APL2C (http://www.apl2c.de/home/) but couldn't get the correct APL fonts becuase of the non-alphabetical version of my OS.

Thanks in advance.

Massimo

Tue, 25 May 2004 18:01:04 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> > Where did YOU find the APL language itself ??
> > Found at IBM's site but very too expensive for me.
> > ThY

> Buy the IBM APL2 OS/2 version (which is about $130.00) and a copy of
> eComStation (an OEM packaging of OS/2) that you can get from
> http://www.ecomstation.com

If they ever offered that for Win, I and probably many others would be
on the bandwagon in a heartbeat.  Matlab is tiresome but affordable
under student license at roughly that price.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

                                             A. Einstein

////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

 To contribute your unused processor cycles to the fight against cancer:

     http://www.intel.com/cure

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////////////////////////

Wed, 26 May 2004 03:43:36 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows
On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:01:04 UTC, "Massimo Nespolo"

Quote:

> > Buy the IBM APL2 OS/2 version (which is about $130.00) and a copy of
> > eComStation (an OEM packaging of OS/2) that you can get from
> > http://www.ecomstation.com

> > --
> > Lorne Sunley

> Apologies for "jumping" in ths thread, but I'm also interested. The above link is down for scheduled maintenance (I'll look again tomorrow), but let me put a couple of simple questions.
> 1) I'm ignorant about OEM, what does it do the "packaging of OS/2" ? A Windows emulation of OS/2?
> 2) AFAIK, Windows supports OEM-8bit, and this restricts fonts to alphabet. I'm working under Japanese Windows, which uses 2-bytes characters. I have tried using APL2C (http://www.apl2c.de/home/) but couldn't get the correct APL fonts becuase of the non-alphabetical version of my OS.

> Thanks in advance.

> Massimo

The "OEM" stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer". Is this case,
Serentity Systems has licensed OS/2 version 4.5x from IBM and are
packaging the OS/2 operating system bundled with several other
applications as "eComStation". This is NOT a Windows emulation of
OS/2, it is OS/2 with additional applications and utilities. One of
the additional applications is Odin - which is a set of libraries that
support the WIN32 API. This lets you install and run 32 bit Windows
applications directly on OS/2 - this is beta at this point so only
some applications work - like Realplayer - which is one of the
additional applications shipped with eComStation.

The APL fonts are included with the OS/2 version of APL2 from IBM. I
am not sure if APL2 for OS/2 is supported on the DBCS versions of
OS/2.

--
Lorne Sunley

Wed, 26 May 2004 08:56:40 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> > > Where did YOU find the APL language itself ??
> > > Found at IBM's site but very too expensive for me.
> > > ThY

> > Buy the IBM APL2 OS/2 version (which is about $130.00) and a copy of
> > eComStation (an OEM packaging of OS/2) that you can get from
> > http://www.ecomstation.com

> If they ever offered that for Win, I and probably many others would be
> on the bandwagon in a heartbeat.  Matlab is tiresome but affordable
> under student license at roughly that price.

> Bob

They do offer it fro Windows but the price is more like $1200 US (a
bit steep in comparison). Much cheaper to get an operating system and
APL2 for less than half that price.

--
Lorne Sunley

Wed, 26 May 2004 08:58:50 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> They do offer it fro Windows but the price is more like $1200 US (a
> bit steep in comparison). Much cheaper to get an operating system and
> APL2 for less than half that price.

Also, OS/2 comes with boot manager which will allow you to boot
whichever OS you want at the moment.

Ted

Wed, 26 May 2004 11:20:16 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> > They do offer it fro Windows but the price is more like $1200 US (a
> > bit steep in comparison). Much cheaper to get an operating system and
> > APL2 for less than half that price.

> Also, OS/2 comes with boot manager which will allow you to boot
> whichever OS you want at the moment.

> Ted

AND... Innotek will be releasing a Virtual PC program for OS/2 that
will provide a facility to run other Intel x86 operating systems like
Linux and Windows as a client OS with OS/2 as the host operating
system. That way you can have Windows 98/ME/2000 etc running in a
window on the OS/2 desktop.

See http://www.innotek.de/products/virtualpc/virtualpcgeneral.html

Their product supposedly will allow you to network the virtual
machines as well. You can have a mixed OS LAN running on a single PC.

--
Lorne Sunley

Wed, 26 May 2004 12:17:52 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> AND... Innotek will be releasing a Virtual PC program for OS/2 that
> will provide a facility to run other Intel x86 operating systems like
> Linux and Windows as a client OS with OS/2 as the host operating
> system. That way you can have Windows 98/ME/2000 etc running in a
> window on the OS/2 desktop.

All applications _and_ device drivers?  I use a lot of DSP and audio
hardware and software that only have Win and Mac drivers.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

                                             A. Einstein

////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

 To contribute your unused processor cycles to the fight against cancer:

     http://www.intel.com/cure

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////////////////////////

Wed, 26 May 2004 16:42:04 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> > If they ever offered that for Win, I and probably many others would be
> > on the bandwagon in a heartbeat.  Matlab is tiresome but affordable
> > under student license at roughly that price.

> > Bob

> They do offer it fro Windows but the price is more like $1200 US (a
> bit steep in comparison).

Yeah, I was referring to the price.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

                                             A. Einstein

////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

 To contribute your unused processor cycles to the fight against cancer:

     http://www.intel.com/cure

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////////////////////////

Wed, 26 May 2004 16:43:57 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> > AND... Innotek will be releasing a Virtual PC program for OS/2 that
> > will provide a facility to run other Intel x86 operating systems like
> > Linux and Windows as a client OS with OS/2 as the host operating
> > system. That way you can have Windows 98/ME/2000 etc running in a
> > window on the OS/2 desktop.

> All applications _and_ device drivers?  I use a lot of DSP and audio
> hardware and software that only have Win and Mac drivers.

> Bob

Virtual PC presents virtual PC hardware to the guest operating system.
I am not sure how it presents some of the hardware to the guest OS. I
know that the video card presented to the guest is a basic S3 video
card, the guest does not see the real video card. The same thing is
done with the network card, the guest sees some DEC 84xxx type NIC,
not the real one.

Presenting some of the real hardware should doable, but I'm not sure
if they are doing that right now.

--
Lorne Sunley

Wed, 26 May 2004 21:10:23 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> > > If they ever offered that for Win, I and probably many others would be
> > > on the bandwagon in a heartbeat.  Matlab is tiresome but affordable
> > > under student license at roughly that price.

> > > Bob

> > They do offer it fro Windows but the price is more like $1200 US (a
> > bit steep in comparison).

> Yeah, I was referring to the price.

> Bob

It is kind of high. I could buy a cheap PC (no OS) and eComStation (or
a used copy of Warp on eBay) and APL2 for OS/2 for less money than the
Windows version of APL2

--
Lorne Sunley

Wed, 26 May 2004 21:13:23 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> Buy the IBM APL2 OS/2 version (which is about $130.00) and a copy of
> eComStation (an OEM packaging of OS/2) that you can get from
> http://www.ecomstation.com

> --
> Lorne Sunley

Lorne:  The site is up, but I am not clear what eComStation will do for one.
Can you explain please.  And how much does eComStation cost?

Gerry

Sat, 29 May 2004 04:48:45 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

They do offer it fro Windows but the price is more like $1200 US (a
bit steep in comparison). Much cheaper to get an operating system and
APL2 for less than half that price.

------

Shame. We finally have all singing all dancing versions of APL that can do
anything that all the other
Windows developers can do. But any spread of APL is being held up by the
price, if individuals and co.'s vince at the price, it ain't going to
happen.

Yes, I know the APL authors need to eat too, but it's a chicken and egg
situation.

Regards,
Martin

Fri, 28 May 2004 09:58:13 GMT
 APL / PC /Windows

Quote:

> > Buy the IBM APL2 OS/2 version (which is about $130.00) and a copy of
> > eComStation (an OEM packaging of OS/2) that you can get from
> > http://www.ecomstation.com

> > --
> > Lorne Sunley

> Lorne:  The site is up, but I am not clear what eComStation will do for one.
> Can you explain please.  And how much does eComStation cost?

> Gerry

Hi

<Salesman Hat ON>
In short, eComStation is a packaging of the IBM OS/2 operating system
that is done by Serentity Systems. They ship it with Lotus Smart Suite
(WordPro, Lotus123 etc) and a number of other software packages so
that is a "one stop" workstation operating system (it also supports
SMP on up to 64 processors if you buy the Pro version - kind of hard
to find a 64 CPU machine to run it on but ... :-).

The package is approximately  330 USD if you buy the standard package,
or 210 USD if you buy the upgrade from IBM Warp 4 package, or 464 USD
for the Pro(SMP) package, or 344 USD for the Pro(SMP) upgrade for Warp
4.

IBM sells their OS/2 version of APL2 for something like 130 USD.
Buying eComStation and APL2 amounts to a 460 USD software purchase as
opposed to a 1200 USD software purchase for the IBM APL2 for Windows
package.

You save about 740 USD by buying eComStation and APL2 for OS/2 instead
of buying the APL2 for Windows, and you end up with a rock solid
workstation operating system that requires a lot less hardware to run
on than the current Windows 2000/XP OS. You can use the boot manager
that is included with eComStation to set up your machine to boot
either Windows or eComStation. You can also set up a CD image that
will boot the full eComStation OS from a CD ROM drive if you want.
<Salesman Hat OFF>

--
Lorne Sunley

Sat, 29 May 2004 10:29:22 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. APL+PC w/GSS Graphics in Windows NT?

2. APL*PLUS/PC Under Windows NT 4.0

3. APL*Plus/PC under Windows 95 buglet

4. Porting APL*PLUS/PC to APL.68000

5. Porting Mainframe APL to APL*PLUS/PC

6. Shareware APL, APL FAQ, J for Windows

7. Seeking GCL for {MacOS, Solaris(PC), Windows(PC)}

8. I-APL, Vanguard APL, and APL.68000

9. APL*PLUS PC Plotting Workspace

10. PC Version of APL?

11. Source of APL keyboards for PC?