Quasi Random numbers
Author Message
 Quasi Random numbers

Berhard Strohmeier answered the following question:

BS> >Does anyone know the algorithm, or the characteristics, of
BS> >the generator used for the ? operator in J?

BS> It's the Lewis, Miller, Goodman generator, the same as in APL. It is
BS> the multiplicative congruential generator x_{n+1)=7^5 x_n mod 2^31 -
BS> 1
BS> For characteristics look up the following article:
BS> Park, Miller: Random Number Generators: Good ones are hard to find
BS> Communications of the ACM, Vol 31, No 10, October 1988

Even though it does not refer to J, John Maddox's editorial in Nature
may be of interest to those concerned about Random Number Generators:

        The poor quality of random numbers
        Nature vol.372 (1 December 1994) p.403

Sun, 25 May 1997 20:26:00 GMT

1. quasi-random number generators

2. Random Number Generator to produce SAME random number from 12:00am-11:59pm

3. Module for quasi-random sequences?

4. Random number not random?

5. Pentium III processor number and random number generator

6. J random-number generator: what is used?

7. How do I get random numbers with ALC?

8. [VA] Random Numbers!

9. Problem with random numbers

10. Random number generators

11. Random number generators