Posting APL2 in Unicode
Author Message
 Posting APL2 in Unicode

This post is for APL2 users who would like to use APL characters in their posts.

APL2 does not use Unicode in the session manager and object editor so you can't simply copy and paste code from the development environment.  But it's easy with a few simple functions:

      )COPY 2 GUITOOLS SVOFFER SET_PROPERTY GET_PROPERTY
SAVED 2002-01-08 18.39.24 (GMT-5)

[0] UNICOPY VOFV;SV145
[1] ?ES(2145 SVOFFER 'SV145')/'SHARE FAILED'
[2] 'CLIPBOARD UNICODE DATA' SET_PROPERTY 1 VOFV

[0] VOFVUNIPASTE;SV145
[1] ?ES(2145 SVOFFER 'SV145')/'SHARE FAILED'
[2] VOFV'CLIPBOARD UNICODE DATA' GET_PROPERTY 1

To place APL characters in a post, use UNICOPY to copy a vector of character vectors to the clipboard.  Then, paste the data into your post.  Format the data using a Unicode font containing APL characters.  APL2 is supplied with such a font; it is called Courier APL2 Unicode.  Microsoft Office also includes such a font.  It is called Lucida Sans Unicode.  (You need to install Office's national language support to get this font.)  Once your post is ready, send it using the UTF-8 encoding.

To copy APL characters from a post into your workspace, copy the post's text to the clipboard and then use UNIPASTE to paste it into the workspace.  UNIPASTE returns a vector of character vectors.

David Liebtag
IBM APL Products and Services

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:39:50 GMT
 Posting APL2 in Unicode

Quote:

> +/v8APAAh-DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC +ACI--//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0

Whatever that was, it's complete gibberish here.

Ted

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:45:38 GMT
 Posting APL2 in Unicode
Sigh.

Yes, Nancy Wheeler pointed out that her news reader software wouldn't show
it either.

I made the mistake of making the post using Outlook which insisted on
formatting it in rich text which apparently a lot of tools can't deal with.
I meant to send it in Html which more tools would be able to display.

Sorry.

David Liebtag
IBM APL Products and Services

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:57:04 GMT
 Posting APL2 in Unicode

Quote:

> I meant to send it in Html which more tools would be able to display.

While this is true, caution is advised.  Many ISPs will drop a newsgroup
with binary and/or HTML postings since these take considerably more file
space.

Ted

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:47:03 GMT
 Posting APL2 in Unicode
The apl characters were fine on w2k using outlook express.

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:51:42 GMT
 Posting APL2 in Unicode

Quote:

>>I meant to send it in Html which more tools would be able to display.

> While this is true, caution is advised.  Many ISPs will drop a newsgroup
> with binary and/or HTML postings since these take considerably more file
> space.

This is true. Furthermore, may I ask for a little caution to try and
ensure that the postings are readable by those not using Mickeysoft
operating systems? While I am forced by the pressure of market reality
to maintain access to at least one such OS, I don't read news on it.

DL's original post didn't look too bad, although there were some errors
when viewed on Solaris 8 with the Netscape 6.1 news reader.

--

Bob Hoekstra:   APL & Unix Consultant
Tele:           +44 (0)1483 771028

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 01:09:42 GMT

1. Posting APL2 in Unicode

2. APL2 support for Unicode

3. APL2/2 to APL2/W95/NT

4. ANNOUNCE: unicode 0.4, command line unicode database query tool

5. Posting guidelines -- bi-weekly posting

6. Posting guidelines -- bi-weekly posting

7. Posting guidelines -- bi-weekly posting

8. Posting guidelines -- bi-weekly posting

9. Posting guidelines -- bi-weekly posting

10. Posting guidelines -- bi-weekly posting

11. Posting guidelines -- bi-weekly posting

12. Posting guidelines -- bi-weekly posting