Windows "Help" Generators
Author Message
 Windows "Help" Generators

Is anyone familiar with "Robo Help" and these other packages that take
Word files and automatically (?) create Windows "Help" facilities?  Any
good/bad experiences?

Thanks.

Rod Giess - Data Results, Inc.

Fri, 14 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows "Help" Generators

Quote:
> Is anyone familiar with "Robo Help" and these other packages that take
> Word files and automatically (?) create Windows "Help" facilities?

Yes I have used it extensively for a few months.

Quote:
>  Any good/bad experiences?

I have mostly good experiences with it.

I combined it somewhat with J because I prepared and picked
out text from an old system. Converted those texts into
word with OLE from J and changed IDs to headers which
I then used in Robocop to convert them to topics.

When you begin to have many items and some text volumes
the memory needed to run the robo macros is enormous.

You need:
        - much memory
        - set temp space on a disk with enough space
        - save your work frequently
        - lots of patience

If you manage to follow those steps you get quite good
helps.

I created .hh files and used J to change the ids into the
numbers I had from the original texts recompiled those
into the help file and got an excellent help connection
to a C++ system I am working on.

The help files are some of them many megabytes and several
thousend topics and it takes awhile to get things going but
once you get used to how things work it is quite good.

I recommend you to use NT rather than W95 if you need
to create big files.

/Gosi

Fri, 14 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows "Help" Generators

Quote:

> Is anyone familiar with "Robo Help" and these other packages that take
> Word files and automatically (?) create Windows "Help" facilities?  Any
> good/bad experiences?

No personal experience but the tech writer who does the docs for swaps
systems here at UBS sez RoboHelp is the best of the bunch, and it IS
what
he works with all day every day.  The newest version produces HTML
that's
supposed to look very much like the .hlp files, which may be useful ...

// m

Sat, 15 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows "Help" Generators

Quote:

> Is anyone familiar with "Robo Help" and these other packages that take
> Word files and automatically (?) create Windows "Help" facilities?  Any
> good/bad experiences?

I've used Doc-To-Help quite a bit and found it very easy to use, but with the following
reservations:

1. If the WinWord "version" of the help file is large (say 20+ pages) you need a fast
machine (my 33MHz 486 is not good enough).
2. Together with a 16 bit version of WinWord you can crash NT 4 very frequently and very
ungracefully. MSWin 3.11 seems a lot more stable.
3. I don't know if there is a version that produces Win95-style help files yet. My
experience is just with Win3-style help files.

Sat, 15 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows "Help" Generators

Quote:
> 3. I don't know if there is a version that produces Win95-style help files yet.
> My experience is just with Win3-style help files.

The version I use creates W95/WNT style help files as well.
I use it together with Word 7  and it is slowwww.
I do as much as I can with J/OLE instead of the Robo macros.
It is much faster and gives more flexibility.
/Gosi

Sun, 16 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

2. newbie help- creating windows "extension" dll

3. Converting "normal" functions into generators

4. "Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

6. Parsing ""D""?

7. "Fifth", "Forth", zai nar?

8. Ruby "finalize", "__del__"

9. beginners "let"/"random" question

10. ANNOUNCE: new "plus"- and "dash"-patches available for Tcl7.5a2/Tk4.1a2

11. Looking for "stdin", "stdout"

12. "ARTIFICIAL BIGOT" (an AMZI- PROLOG "rants generator")