APL2 on W95 ?
Author Message
 APL2 on W95 ?

Quote:

>  On a related thought, I have recently seen some unexpected
>ports of important  software to Linux, for example, Mathematica
>and MATLAB have been ported. I would tend to think that
>a similar port to Linux would be an unnatural proposition
>for IBM as a monolith, far less so than the first. On the other hand, I
>perceive the Linux community of users, admitedly small, far more open
>to trying out different, shall we say, paradigms, than the Windows community.
>Does anyone see it differently ?

It would be wonderful if Dyalog APL were ported to linux...
Or if someone ported the old APL\11 (on Watserv, as is my front end for it).
Even old APL is better (and much faster) than awk, perl, etc.

By the way, I've just moved to the SF Bay Area.  (There's another boom in
the Silicon Valley!)  It's 60F outside and blue sky...

Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2 on W95 ?

Quote:
>I heard that IBM has stopped the fight against Windows 95.
>Does that mean that there will be a APL2 for w95 soon ?

  I am not so sure the fight has really stopped, thankfully. At any
rate, if APL has not caught on with the Windows crowd by now
I don't think it ever will.
  On a related thought, I have recently seen some unexpected
ports of important  software to Linux, for example, Mathematica
and MATLAB have been ported. I would tend to think that
a similar port to Linux would be an unnatural proposition
for IBM as a monolith, far less so than the first. On the other hand, I
perceive the Linux community of users, admitedly small, far more open
to trying out different, shall we say, paradigms, than the Windows community.
Does anyone see it differently ?

Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2 on W95 ?
I heard that IBM has stopped the fight against Windows 95.
Does that mean that there will be a APL2 for w95 soon ?

Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2 on W95 ?

Quote:

> I heard that IBM has stopped the fight against Windows 95.
> Does that mean that there will be a APL2 for w95 soon ?

You have heard wrong (and what was your source?)
You might want to check
http://www.austin.ibm.com/pspinfo/drkyah2.html
(and you can also get there from Yahoo by searching for 'computers' -
Yup, advertising on the Web).
'Just add OS/2 Warp' is also known as the Windows95 recovery kit.
[posted and emailed]

Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL2/2 to APL2/W95/NT

2. registering VM to get Dolphin to run in W95

3. Event triggering on NT (or w95)

4. J in w95 and NT

5. timestamp access for w95 files

6. W95, WNT and Visual J95 (JCN ?)

7. Learning Visual J runtime and schedule to run under w95

8. W95 look in Squeak?

9. W95 AWK

10. VisualAge Smalltalk on NTor W95

11. 16-32 bits API to retrieve PNP modem Brand on W95/98

12. C4b W95/Novell Machine Hang Problem Solved!