Funny quote.
Author Message
 Funny quote.

> about thirty years ago (FMC), APL was heavily used alongside COBOL on
> IBM 360 Model 20's and 40's but he never quite understood what the big

Cute.  But I have always been under the impression that the smallest 360
that would run APL was the model 44.  Am I wrong?

Ted

Mon, 09 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Funny quote.

Quote:

>he looked over this he paused and then said: "So THAT'S why the APL
>programmers were so arrogant!"

I would suggest that, without an elaboration of the "that" and of the
"arrogant"  that prejudices about APL will only be perpetuated.

Each person will only take her own meaning of the words and form
her own idea of the meaning of that sentence...

Were APL programmers arrogant because they wrote in what was
patently gibberish?

Were APL programmers overconfident of their job security because
what they wrote indecipherable by all others?  Because they were
accomplishing so much?

I have never subscribed to the notion of insider humour, the one that
suggests that only "African-Americans" can get away with "{*filter*}"
jokes, because in some sense they make the teller look bad, from
the inside or the outside, and only perpetuate some "advantage" that
the prejudice is seen to have.

--
|\/| Randy A MacDonald       |"We ARE the weirdos, mister!"

     BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

     I use Real J            | Also http://www.*-*-*.com/
------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-

Mon, 09 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Funny quote.
: >  ...
: > about thirty years ago (FMC), APL was heavily used alongside COBOL on
: > IBM 360 Model 20's and 40's but he never quite understood what the big

: Cute.  But I have always been under the impression that the smallest 360
: that would run APL was the model 44.  Am I wrong?
That's what we ran it on at the Hursley lab - but that was mostly because
they had an old engineering proto one lying around.  Field circus wouldn't
support it so they changed it to a an old 50 which died on a regular basis.

Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Funny quote.

Quote:

> Follow-up to my own post, shame on me ;-)

> Here's what someone over at alt.folklore.computers had to say about
> APL on 360's:

> >   snip .......
> > APL/360 ran under OS/360 (and probably only under the MVT configuration
> > thereof), so I believe that it would be constrained (by memory size) to run
> > on the model 40 and up.  (I can't recall if MVT would run on the /40, or if
> > you needed a /50. ..........     snip

If I recall correctly, although the forward slash was used in most
terms, like
OS/360 and 360/40, IBM used the back slash in the term APL\360 to imply
that
APL "expanded" the usefulnes of the 360.

Geo.

Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:00:00 GMT
 Funny quote.

  In October 1967, APL/360 was installed at Universit Laval here
  on a IBM 360 Model 40 with 256k. The system was dedicated to APL.
  As far as I know, this was the second installation of APL outside
  IBM after U. of Alberta; but it was the first to dedicate a machine
  to APL. The OS was IBM 360 D.O.S., not O.S. (either PCP, MFT or MVT).
  My first APL statement was executed on that machine in december
  of that year.

  The model 44 appeared later as an improved 40, isn't it?

Quote:
> Cute.  But I have always been under the impression that the smallest 360
> that would run APL was the model 44.  Am I wrong?

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. funny slashdot quote regarding python 2.3 release

2. (OT) This just gets funnier and funnier

3. module path:funny bug, funny solution

4. replace single quote to double quote with an example

5. quote quote reshape v

6. When is a quote not a quote?

7. single-quoted string conversion to triple-quoted string

8. Quote.py - Look up stock quotes

9. Quote.py - Look up stock quotes

10. emacs python-mode quote in triple quote font-lock problem

11. those funny little characters

12. those funny little characters