Can't get on this train...
Author Message
 Can't get on this train...

I'm having a discussion with Todd Marshall on the Compuserve APL forum, and I've
gotten
bogged down on a construction:

Quote:
>> <<From programming in J (Kenneth E. Iverson ISI 1992)

>> conjunction hcb; the expression f hcb g y applies f to the head of y and catenates
>> the result with the result of g applied to the rest (behead) of y. For example:
>>    ! hcb (*/)5 1 2 3 4 5
>> 120 120>>
>> << I think this points out the Greek letters are probably not APL's biggest problem.>>

Thing is I can see the plausibility of the description of hcb, because it seems easy
rewrite the in-line definition:

but when I use the parsing rules, I get a different beast:

          v ((cv)`(cv)`(cv)\) v
          v ((cv) (cv) (cv) ) v
          v ( a    a    a   ) v
          (((v a) a) a) v

What am I missing?

--
|\/| Randy A MacDonald       |"You just ASK them?"

     BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-

Wed, 14 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

2. It's not bad canned meat...

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. It's not bad canned meat...

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. Teacher training on computers 'poor'

7. CA Cans VO ?

8. Variable number of 'gets'

9. C5.5 ABC getting 'My Computer'

10. Using 'gets' with SciTe under Win2000

11. getting rid of '{}'