Author Message
 Beginner's J question

Henry Rich:
   By my reading,
   ([: + *) 3
   should be equivalent to
   + * 3
   but instead I get 'syntax error'.  Why?

Looks like a mismatch between your documentation and your
implementation.  [I get 1 in response to both of these, I'm using J
version 7.]

Posting questions is fine, I think.  [You can email me if you'd rather
not.  However, I'm sure there's some other people on this newsgroup
who can field your questions just as well -- and you may get better

Raul D. Miller           n =: p*q             NB. 9<##:##:n [.large prime p, q

                         NB.  public e, n, y
                         x -: n&|&(*&y)^:d 1  NB. 1=(d*e)+.p*&<:q

Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:07:32 GMT
 Beginner's J question

Quote:

> I used APL a lot 20 years ago.  I called ISI looking for an APL to
> use for a rush project; I talked to The Man Himself, and I couldn't
> bear to tell him that I didn't want to learn his new language; so
> here I am trying to learn J from the dictionary.

Actually, I felt the same way a couple years ago.  Glad I finally
learned J.

Quote:
> By my reading,

> ([: + *) 3

> should be equivalent to

> + * 3

> but instead I get 'syntax error'.  Why?

> If anyone wants to volunteer as a mentor, I'll promise to keep the
> questions sparse.

> Henry Rich

Well, using J-win 7.0 I get

   ([: + *)3
1
   + * 3
1

What version are you using?
Best,
  Cliff

--
Clifford A. Reiter
Mathematics Department, Lafayette College

Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:35:02 GMT
 Beginner's J question

Quote:

> I used APL a lot 20 years ago.  I called ISI looking for an APL to
> use for a rush project; I talked to The Man Himself, and I couldn't
> bear to tell him that I didn't want to learn his new language; so
> here I am trying to learn J from the dictionary.

Actually, I felt the same way a couple years ago.  Glad I finally
learned J.

Quote:
> By my reading,

> ([: + *) 3

> should be equivalent to

> + * 3

> but instead I get 'syntax error'.  Why?

> If anyone wants to volunteer as a mentor, I'll promise to keep the
> questions sparse.

> Henry Rich

Well, using J-win 7.0 I get

   ([: + *)3
1
   + * 3
1

What version are you using?
Best,
  Cliff

--
Clifford A. Reiter
Mathematics Department, Lafayette College
Easton, PA 18042 USA,   610-250-5277

Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:35:31 GMT
 Beginner's J question
I used APL a lot 20 years ago.  I called ISI looking for an APL to
use for a rush project; I talked to The Man Himself, and I couldn't
bear to tell him that I didn't want to learn his new language; so
here I am trying to learn J from the dictionary.

By my reading,

([: + *) 3

should be equivalent to

+ * 3

but instead I get 'syntax error'.  Why?

If anyone wants to volunteer as a mentor, I'll promise to keep the
questions sparse.

Henry Rich

Mon, 10 Mar 1997 22:45:08 GMT
 Beginner's J question

Quote:
>> By my reading,

>> ([: + *) 3

>> should be equivalent to

>> + * 3

>> but instead I get 'syntax error'.  Why?

>Well, using J-win 7.0 I get

>   ([: + *)3
>1
>   + * 3
>1

>What version are you using?

Version 6.2.  Perhaps that's the problem -
caps must have been added for version 7.

Henry Rich

Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:03:29 GMT

1. Beginner's 'enum' question

2. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

3. Sorry it's beginner's question..

4. TK beginners question - how to 'beep'

5. js.exception 3279.js

6. Beginner's J question #12 - locales

7. Beginner's J question

8. Beginner's J questions, vol. 3

9. Beginner's J questions, vol. 4

10. beginner's J question

11. Data Type Problem - COM Beginner's question

12. Beginner's question