Visual Delta J
Author Message
 Visual Delta J

  > Ultimately, I'd like to know how useful the freeware version is for
doing
  > anything practical. Is it just for a "taste" of J?

For many people I would assume that the J freeware would be enough to cater
for all their need. It is much more than just for the taste of J, and by the
way I think
personally that the name of the new J should be "Visual J" rather than J2
because
it has so many visual elements.

I have been playing in the past two years with Visual Basic and Visual C++
and now after I got Visual J I see no need to apply them anymore. I am in
the
process of replacing the apps I have made with Visual Basic and Visual C++
with Visual J.

In all my applications I was using old dos/J for most of the controlling
work and
data manipulations even if I made some screens with Visual Basic. The number
of codelines tended to become quite complex when I tried to do a little bit
more
advanced things with Visual Basic alone.

So if you need a very good Visual tool I can recommend you to try Visual J
freeware.

Once you have tasted it you may want to get the professional edition which
allows
you to make your own executable programs you can give away or sell as you
see
fit without having to pay any royalties or ship tonnes of useless code with
it.

I was so surprised when I wanted to give away 30K application I wrote in
Visual Basic
that I needed to ship over 2M of useless code with it so it could run !!!!!

All of Visual J freeware if you want to give that away with all examples
fits on one
diskette.

Visual C++ is also a bit talkative even when you are doing the simplest
things.
In Visual J you start the J by clicking an icon in windows. You write:

wdinfo 'hello world'

Up comes a new information window with the text "hello world"

Try that with Visual C++ and you end up with many pages of sources.

The verb wdinfo comes with the system and using another verb scriptform to
display
the verb wdinfo gives:

wdinfo=: 3 : 0
NB. syntax: wdinfo [title;] message

if. 2=#$b=. ":b do. b=. }.,LF,.b end.
empty wd 'mb ',EAV,a,EAV,' ',EAV,b,EAV,' mb_iconinformation;'
)

two verbs called by wdinfo are:
empty=: (i.0 0)"_
wd=: 11!:0

Also working with Visual J you get to play with gerund which is something I
have had
a hard time before to figure out how could be useful. With Visual J it
becomes
highly useful.

WithJ you get several utilities and examples which could be sold in their
own right
as high quality applications. As everything else they are open source
scripts so
it is up to you to learn from and use them in your own applications.

The power of Visual J is quite enormous. Running on Windows 95 it is also
fast
joggling the windows. I have learned more about windows using Visual J than
with
the combined efforts of using Visual Basic and Visual C++.

/Gosi

Mon, 05 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Delta J

Quote:
> For many people I would assume that the J freeware would be enough to cater
> for all their need. It is much more than just for the taste of J, and by the
> way I think
> personally that the name of the new J should be "Visual J" rather than J2
> because
> it has so many visual elements.

Where can I get this freeware J ?

Wed, 07 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Delta J
Bjorn,

Where can I download J2 (Visual J)?

Thanks,
Alan

Fri, 09 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

2. js.exception 3279.js

3. Need Visual Age, Visual Works, and Visual Wave Smalltalk mentors and developers and C++ designers/developers

4. NB. gray.js: a J verb that generates a grayscale postscript image from a 2d array

5. lapackTest.js

6. profile.js

7. J script file profile.js

8. JS valueOf() in RB ?