APL2/PC What's happening?
Author Message
 APL2/PC What's happening?

Quote:
> > > 4.Was this the APL version that was developed by the IBM Madrid
>> >   Scientific Ctr?

> Initially, but it passed through the UK and then Santa Teresa
> en route to the current version.

Alfonseca IBM Madrid made it with assistance from Dave Selby in Hursley =
UK and  directions/supervision from Jim Brown Santa Teresa US and the =
original internal version was made on a shoestring paid for by the =
Nordic Lab Lidingo Sweden which funded "a feasibility study" and that =
money paid for enough to get an internal IBM version which eventually =
made it into a sellable product. I can still remember 19.dec 1985 when =
we sat down in Madrid and decided how much we could be made to fit into =
APL2/PC for that money. Basically the complex numbers were left out. =
Decided they were too expensive and not very much used. I have heard =
critisim about that decision later but what can you do when the money is =
tight ? Something needs to be cut. I have to say that it was amazing =
what could be done and how well it all turned out !=20

Quote:
>>> Who sells J and how much does it cost?
> Iverson Software, Inc./Strand.  See URL http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Cost depends.  You can get the interpreter and a lot of useful
> stuff to go along with it free for the downloading.  You can
> get the professional version with all bells, whistles, a mug
> and a T-shirt for under $600 (mug and T-shirt optional).

The mug is not optional. You have to have it. I use it every day
for my cacao and I would probably starve to death without it.
/Gosi

Sat, 27 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2/PC What's happening?

Gosi, et. al.,

IBM has an "Open Beta" for APL2/Windows.
Currently it's in Beta 4.
It is similar to their OS/2 product.

BTW: It has complex numbers.

It is the full APL2 language with defined operators, complex numbers,
QuadNA, interfaces to SQL, etc. It looks pretty nice.

back instructions for getting it from their FTP server.
(I hope they don't hate me for posting this.)

So APL programmers will have 3 choices in Windows:
Dyalog APL
IBM APL2
APL2000 APL+Win

That's good news.

It reminds me of the remark by the poor beggar being tossed on the cart of
plague victims in Monty python and The Holy Grail:
 "I'm not dead yet!"

Alan

Fri, 03 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2/PC What's happening?

Quote:
> So APL programmers will have 3 choices in Windows:
> Dyalog APL
> IBM APL2
> APL2000 APL+Win

APL programmers also have the choice of J for Windows.

Talking about complex numbers.
In J they are represented with j

   3j04
3j4
   3j04^3
_117j44

/Gosi

Sat, 04 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2/PC What's happening?

Quote:

> Gosi, et. al.,

> IBM has an "Open Beta" for APL2/Windows.
> Currently it's in Beta 4.
> It is similar to their OS/2 product.

> BTW: It has complex numbers.

> It is the full APL2 language with defined operators, complex numbers,
> QuadNA, interfaces to SQL, etc. It looks pretty nice.

> back instructions for getting it from their FTP server.
> (I hope they don't hate me for posting this.)

> So APL programmers will have 3 choices in Windows:
> Dyalog APL
> IBM APL2
> APL2000 APL+Win

> That's good news.

> It reminds me of the remark by the poor beggar being tossed on the cart of
> plague victims in Monty Python and The Holy Grail:
>  "I'm not dead yet!"

> Alan

What about Soliton Associates? Do they have a Window version?

--
Guy Larocque, ing.f., Ph.D.

Research Scientist - Chercheur scientifique
Canadian Forest Service - Service canadien des forts
Laurentian Forestry Centre - Centre de Foresterie des Laurentides
1055 rue du P.E.P.S.
P.O. Box 3800
Ste-Foy (Quebec)
G1V 4C7
Tel: (418) 648-5791
Fax: (418)648-5849

Sat, 04 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2/PC What's happening?

writes:
:>
:>What about Soliton Associates? Do they have a Window version?
:>

Iverson Software, Inc. has a Windows APL which is compatible with Version 20
of SHARP APL.
It's quite useful for SAPL bigots like me and has a Windows API, but has been
frozen since late 1993
in favor of work on J. Its price is substantially lower than that of the
Dyalog, IBM and APL2000
products but the others have a lot more bells and whistles.

It's available from Strand Software Systems, (416) 369-1630.

Soliton itself doesn't supply a PC APL - mainframe, Solaris and AIX are our
supported APL platforms and keep us quite busy enough, thank you!

--

Soliton Associates, Rochester NY

Sat, 04 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2/PC What's happening?

Quote:
> Iverson Software, Inc. has a Windows APL which is compatible with Version 20
> of SHARP APL.
> It's quite useful for SAPL bigots like me and has a Windows API, but has been
> frozen since late 1993
> in favor of work on J. Its price is substantially lower than that of the
> Dyalog, IBM and APL2000
> products but the others have a lot more bells and whistles.

> It's available from Strand Software Systems, (416) 369-1630.
> Soliton itself doesn't supply a PC APL - mainframe, Solaris and AIX are our
> supported APL platforms and keep us quite busy enough, thank you!

Are these Solaris and AIX versions of Soliton APL (former I.P. Sharp APL)
the same as SAX ? And if so are they based on the same SAX as the
SAX for Philips ? Is the SAX for Philips still commercially available ?
A follow on to that is ARV from Philips commercially available ?
Are these three versions (mainframe, Solaris and AIX) all the same ?
That is can an application be moved between the platforms without
changes ?
/Gosi

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 APL2/PC What's happening?

In this context I used APL to mean "A Programming Language" (you know funny
characters, workspaces, etc.) rather than the broader "Array Programming
Language" which would include J and Q'Nial and others (fortran 90?).

Alan

unb.ca>...

Quote:

>> So APL programmers will have 3 choices in Windows:
>> Dyalog APL
>> IBM APL2
>> APL2000 APL+Win

>APL programmers also have the choice of J for Windows.

>Talking about complex numbers.
>In J they are represented with j

>   3j04
>3j4
>   3j04^3
>_117j44

>/Gosi

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL2/PC What's happening?

2. Ordering IBM's APL2/PC

3. IBM's APL2/PC Version 1.02

4. IBM's APL2/PC

5. APL2/PC display font problem

6. DIF files & APL2/PC

7. APL2/PC display font problem

8. COMPLEX.QQ : necessary adjustments for use by APL2/PC

9. 32-bit APL2/PC under Windows

10. APL2/PC; ATF-file format

11. APL2/PC and DRDOS

12. memory managers & APL2/PC