Network communication
Author Message
 Network communication

Quote:
Emmett Mclean writes:
> I'm kind of hoping to put together a simple model in the next two
> months which won't use network/socket programming . The interface
> should be simple but not necessarily very efficient.

Your proposal does describe a way to establish your cummunication
link without using a socket interface.  However, it is not clear
to me why you want to avoid using sockets.  Is it merely because
you believe using sockets is difficult?

APL2 on OS/2, Sun Solaris, AIX/6000, CMS, and TSO all provide
network communication facilities.  They are based on TCP/IP
and come in two flavors.

The first flavor is auxiliary processor 119 which allows you
to issue commands at the socket interface level.  This flavor
allows you to communicate with non-APL programs across a
network as long as those programs use the normal socket interface.

The second flavor is much higher level.  It allows you to simply
share variables between two APL2 sessions.  These sessions can
be running on the same machine or on two machines connected
by a TCP/IP network.  The sessions can be running on either
OS/2, Sun Solaris, AIX/6000, CMS, or TSO.  Because this facility
uses the TCP/IP socket interface (under the covers), you get
the benefits of the socket interface.  But, you do not have to
pay the penalty of having to code to the socket interface
protocol;  you simply write normal APL code.  Here's how
it would look:

Session 1 (Id 1234)           | Session 2 (Id 5678)

      5678 SVOFFER 'A'        |       1234 SVOFFER 'A'
2                             | 2
      A is 'Hello'            |       A
                              | Hello
                              |       A is 'Got it'
      A                       |
Got it                        |

A side file is used to define the network address associated
with the numbers 1234 and 5678.

A suite of system functions and variables are supplied which
allow you to detect incoming offers, wait for shared variable
events (offer extended or matched, variable specified, referenced
or retracted, etc..)

We also supply a function which allows you to easily write
servers; it is called APSERVER.  APSERVER handles all the
shared variable interactions.  You simply call APSERVER and
pass it the name of your function which handles one interaction.
When a client sends a request, APSERVER calls your function
with the the client's request as an argument.  Your function's
result is passed back to the client.  APSERVER is supplied in
both APL2 and C source code so that you can write servers
in either APL2 or C.

If you would like further information, feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,
David Liebtag
IBM APL Products and Services

Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:56:54 GMT
 Network communication
David Liebtag:
.  APL2 on OS/2, Sun Solaris, AIX/6000, CMS, and TSO all provide
.  network communication facilities.  They are based on TCP/IP and
.  come in two flavors.
.
.  The first flavor ... allows you to communicate with non-APL
.  programs across a network as long as those programs use the normal
.  socket interface.
.
.  The second flavor is much higher level.  It allows you to simply
.  share variables between two APL2 sessions.

I'm curious about the level of support for the higher level mechanism.
For example, is it documented well enough to interface a foreign apl
with this APL2 interface?  Are there any other apl packages which
implement such communication?

Raul D. Miller             n =: p*q               NB. prime p, q, e

                           y =: n&|&(*&x)^:e 1
                           x -: n&|&(*&y)^:d 1    NB. 1 < (d*e) +.&<: (p,q)

Mon, 13 Jan 1997 01:31:59 GMT

1. APL2 Network Communication

2. Linux Port IO and Network Communications?

3. HOW Network Communication in TSModula-2

4. Heterogeneous network communication and ADA

5. IPX NetWork communication

6. text-based network communication

7. non blocking mode for network communications

8. Network Communication via Smalltalk80

9. network DDE communication

10. Applications communication without network adapter

11. Communication Between Images in a Network

12. Off topic - Moving my notebook from network to network