apl user interface issues
Author Message
 apl user interface issues

Randy A MacDonald:

Quote:
> This "while" is vastly overemphasized in importance, and is not even
> comparable to the effort of learning qwerty in the first place. Most
> APL implementations allow for a "union" keyboard, where ASCII gets top
> billing and the APL characters are tucked away behind the Alt- state.
> Once you remember that quad is Alt-L, jot is Alt-J (like that would be
> tough), rho is Alt+R, et cetera, you are pretty much back in business.
> I haven't used keycaps since the 80's.

I know some professional programmers who use hunt&peck typing.

On the other hand, I used to do about 80 wpm if I'm typing english. I
slow down quite a bit when doing APL. I used to type APL quickly, but
mucking with the all the shift (alt, ctrl, ..) keys wound up hurting my
wrists.

I can still type regular english faster than I type APL, but I'm
not as fast as I used to be.

--
Raul

Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 apl user interface issues

: Randy A MacDonald:
:
: I know some professional programmers who use hunt&peck typing.
: On the other hand, I used to do about 80 wpm if I'm typing english. I
: slow down quite a bit when doing APL. I used to type APL quickly, but
: mucking with the all the shift (alt, ctrl, ..) keys wound up hurting my
: wrists.
: I can still type regular english faster than I type APL, but I'm
: not as fast as I used to be.
: --
: Raul
:
Aha, you are measuring typing speed for APL ...

I wish i would be able to write correct APL code line after line, function
after function at the speed of my fingers - what a productivity! But the
bottle-neck is that i have to think all the creative code at the same time
- it's not really relevant how fast i type it down. But i'm convinced that
C users get frustrated while typing all those characters! (Like Randy i
prefer to use the Alt-combinations).

If English (or Swedish in my case) was like APL; one character for a
whole... say for example that "A" means "now i'm going fishing, i'm taking
the car, please have breakfast ready at seven", then my thinking would take
more time than writing or saying  "....A". Actually, Finnish is a little in
that direction, that's why some of us Finns are like robots.

For me, the place that hurts most is at the right hand, from the wrist a
little towards the hand - the place that usually touches the mouse-pad.

Btw, i remember the times before the mouse. There were users who got the
programs to fall, because they pressed every possible (wrong) button and
too rapidly - those stupid users who did not understand to press only those
keys that were correctly handled in the APL's #WIN command. To slow them
down, i used to instruct:
"Now, put your hands in your pockets, and press F8 with your forehead".

Tomas

Tue, 18 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 apl user interface issues

Quote:

> Aha, you are measuring typing speed for APL ...

> I wish i would be able to write correct APL code line after line, function
> after function at the speed of my fingers - what a productivity! But the
> bottle-neck is that i have to think all the creative code at the same time
> - it's not really relevant how fast i type it down.

However, when one is experimenting in desk calculator mode, figuring
out what the real code should be, rapid touch-typing is quite
helpful.  Sometimes it isn't necessary even to wait for conscious
thought, when the right part of the brain kicks into gear.  It is
really exhiliarating when this happens.   But it can't happen when
one merely hunts and pecks.    At least that's my experience.

Jack Rudd

Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL and graphical user interfaces

2. Multi user interface - picking user and work directory !

3. AdaSAGE users and those with PC User Interfaces

4. APL Quote Quad's 25th Anniversary Issue

5. Interface Issues

6. scripting interface design issue

7. !Help - Ada/Fortran/C interface issues

8. another C/Fortran interface issue

9. TCL script issue interfacing to VHDL DUT

10. ld flags issue on AIX -- user needs help

11. Caching issues for Macintosh users (Using GD)

12. Warning! Newbie issue - Impersonating a user on Win32