WIll Unicode solve char set problem?
Author Message
 WIll Unicode solve char set problem?

I understand that APL characters are a part of the Unicode standard.  If this
becomes popular, as Microsoft seems to think it will, then presumably the CRT
and printer hardware will evolve to support the special (non-ASCII) characters
in the Unicode specs.  So it seems to me that the character set should not be
a problem in the future.

--- Brian

Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:27:12 GMT
 WIll Unicode solve char set problem?

Quote:

>I understand that APL characters are a part of the Unicode standard.  If this
>becomes popular, as Microsoft seems to think it will, then presumably the CRT
>and printer hardware will evolve to support the special (non-ASCII) characters
>in the Unicode specs.  So it seems to me that the character set should not be
>a problem in the future.

How does Unicode deal with keyboard mapping?  I assume it doesn't.
Anyway, that's where the problem is.  I hope Bob can set up his keyboard
without too much trouble--but he better get a correct and complete list
of keysyms for his xmodmap before trying.  Completely nonstandard.

As I haved said before, I have done this enough times to vow NEVER to do it
again.  So I invented APL! ("bang").  When I use it I feel totally emancipated.

Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:19:25 GMT

1. WIll Unicode solve char set problem?

2. Problem attempting to display unicode chars.

3. default setting of unicode set

4. Unicode pb in Python 2.0 solved - no thanks to WinPython

5. Unicode chars not displayed by Linux starpack

6. Unicode as base character set

7. Setting Unicode/BIG5 options for text widgets under Windows TCL/TK

8. Setting Unicode/BIG5 options for text widgets under Windows TCL/TK.

9. Library for solving set constraints in type analysis?

10. Setting file attributes on file creation from ZipFiles (solved)

11. Help On Utilizing IBM-Char-Set

12. yacc/lex for 8 bit char sets