selecting database for PocketPC app for a C++ developer?
Author Message
 selecting database for PocketPC app for a C++ developer?

Hello all,
We are working on an application for PocketPC which is similar to the
one we have for Windows OS. The Windows application enabales creating
some data offline and then synchronizing the data with our Web
service. The application uses MS Access database via its ODBC driver.
We create the Access data file, the data source and the database
context dynamically (about 10 tables) and populate the tables with
user data. We keep a version of the database in one of the tables and
upgrade the tables as needed with a new release coming out. Although
the ODBC methods seems to be obsolete (it's not supported in WinCE as
far as I know), we manage to use those methods with no problems for
all our Windows clients. Therefore, my question is - what would be the
best choice in term of selecting database and connectivity methods for
our application on PocketPC. We have a couple of preferences to use
C++ (eVC++) and to avoid paying big bucks for a 3 party database.

Thanks,
Masya Lomonosov

Thu, 26 May 2005 06:48:31 GMT
 selecting database for PocketPC app for a C++ developer?
Hi,

The easy way is to use ADOCE in combination of ActiveSync.  ActiveSync can
be jussed to transport parts of Access databases to the PocketPC (and visa
versa).  Then ADOCE can be used to access the local databases on the
PocketPC.  You don't need to buy any database for this, the only
disadvantage you have it that you have to use ActiveSync.  ActiveSync is
free, but I'm not that pleased with it (althouw it works).  It needs a
serial connection (RAS is posible, but dificult) and makeing a connection
isn't always easy.

Quote:
> Hello all,
> We are working on an application for PocketPC which is similar to the
> one we have for Windows OS. The Windows application enabales creating
> some data offline and then synchronizing the data with our Web
> service. The application uses MS Access database via its ODBC driver.
> We create the Access data file, the data source and the database
> context dynamically (about 10 tables) and populate the tables with
> user data. We keep a version of the database in one of the tables and
> upgrade the tables as needed with a new release coming out. Although
> the ODBC methods seems to be obsolete (it's not supported in WinCE as
> far as I know), we manage to use those methods with no problems for
> all our Windows clients. Therefore, my question is - what would be the
> best choice in term of selecting database and connectivity methods for
> our application on PocketPC. We have a couple of preferences to use
> C++ (eVC++) and to avoid paying big bucks for a 3 party database.

> Thanks,
> Masya Lomonosov

Thu, 26 May 2005 22:00:57 GMT
 selecting database for PocketPC app for a C++ developer?
Thanks Bryan,
I just wonder if it is possible to avoid using AciveSync at all. Since
we adding new major functionality to the our offline application we
are not concerning of just porting the application to PocketPC. The
methods and database we use for the desktop application can be easily
changed. It seems to be possible to create a database file and a bunch
of tables within the file on PocketPc. (Correct me if I am wrong). So
I am just curios if ADOCE has enough capabilities to handle the tables
altering.

-Masya

Quote:

> Hi,

> The easy way is to use ADOCE in combination of ActiveSync.  ActiveSync can
> be jussed to transport parts of Access databases to the PocketPC (and visa
> versa).  Then ADOCE can be used to access the local databases on the
> PocketPC.  You don't need to buy any database for this, the only
> disadvantage you have it that you have to use ActiveSync.  ActiveSync is
> free, but I'm not that pleased with it (althouw it works).  It needs a
> serial connection (RAS is posible, but dificult) and makeing a connection
> isn't always easy.

> > Hello all,
> > We are working on an application for PocketPC which is similar to the
> > one we have for Windows OS. The Windows application enabales creating
> > some data offline and then synchronizing the data with our Web
> > service. The application uses MS Access database via its ODBC driver.
> > We create the Access data file, the data source and the database
> > context dynamically (about 10 tables) and populate the tables with
> > user data. We keep a version of the database in one of the tables and
> > upgrade the tables as needed with a new release coming out. Although
> > the ODBC methods seems to be obsolete (it's not supported in WinCE as
> > far as I know), we manage to use those methods with no problems for
> > all our Windows clients. Therefore, my question is - what would be the
> > best choice in term of selecting database and connectivity methods for
> > our application on PocketPC. We have a couple of preferences to use
> > C++ (eVC++) and to avoid paying big bucks for a 3 party database.

> > Thanks,
> > Masya Lomonosov

Fri, 27 May 2005 13:09:47 GMT
 selecting database for PocketPC app for a C++ developer?
It has basic data handling capabilities.  If you need a complete database,
look at SQL Server CE, which should have everything you need.

Paul T.

Quote:
> Thanks Bryan,
> I just wonder if it is possible to avoid using AciveSync at all. Since
> we adding new major functionality to the our offline application we
> are not concerning of just porting the application to PocketPC. The
> methods and database we use for the desktop application can be easily
> changed. It seems to be possible to create a database file and a bunch
> of tables within the file on PocketPc. (Correct me if I am wrong). So
> I am just curios if ADOCE has enough capabilities to handle the tables
> altering.

> -Masya

Quote:
> > Hi,

> > The easy way is to use ADOCE in combination of ActiveSync.  ActiveSync
can
> > be jussed to transport parts of Access databases to the PocketPC (and
visa
> > versa).  Then ADOCE can be used to access the local databases on the
> > PocketPC.  You don't need to buy any database for this, the only
> > disadvantage you have it that you have to use ActiveSync.  ActiveSync is
> > free, but I'm not that pleased with it (althouw it works).  It needs a
> > serial connection (RAS is posible, but dificult) and makeing a
connection
> > isn't always easy.

> > > Hello all,
> > > We are working on an application for PocketPC which is similar to the
> > > one we have for Windows OS. The Windows application enabales creating
> > > some data offline and then synchronizing the data with our Web
> > > service. The application uses MS Access database via its ODBC driver.
> > > We create the Access data file, the data source and the database
> > > context dynamically (about 10 tables) and populate the tables with
> > > user data. We keep a version of the database in one of the tables and
> > > upgrade the tables as needed with a new release coming out. Although
> > > the ODBC methods seems to be obsolete (it's not supported in WinCE as
> > > far as I know), we manage to use those methods with no problems for
> > > all our Windows clients. Therefore, my question is - what would be the
> > > best choice in term of selecting database and connectivity methods for
> > > our application on PocketPC. We have a couple of preferences to use
> > > C++ (eVC++) and to avoid paying big bucks for a 3 party database.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Masya Lomonosov

Fri, 27 May 2005 23:03:35 GMT

1. Problems with a C++ compiled DLL on my pocketPC 2002 app

2. C++ Developers and ASP Developers Needed

3. Print Access database report from C++ app?

4. Problems with PocketPC's database support

5. Good Books on C++ , Visual C++ , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)

6. MFC Apps slow on PocketPC?

7. US-TX-DFW C / C++ / MFC DEVELOPERS - Visual C++ / MFC - learn VxD's

8. PocketPC 2002 App Questions

9. Porting a VC++ Serial App to PocketPC 2002

10. Trouble creating a dialog app with CCeCommandBar (PocketPC, eVC 3.0)

11. Using local DLL when running pocketPC app in debug mode

12. Writing PocketPC apps with VB6 - its possible