Controlling the linker and function ordering
Author Message
 Controlling the linker and function ordering

Hi,
Is it possible, in eVC, to stipulate where functions go
inside the executable?  Or even the order of how the files
are linked in?  How about external libs linked into the
executable?  The only real experience I have with the
linker is examining the generated map files.  I don't
really know much about controlling the linker.  Can you
use things like linker files in eVC?

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

Thu, 26 May 2005 02:22:06 GMT
 Controlling the linker and function ordering
Hi,

The order of the linking is easy: its the same order of the specified
library files (project settings, linking).  This is very important if you
redefine some fuctions (like the new fucntion), than the order of that files
are very importand (inverse order will result in a linking error).
The order of the functions in a libarary file (.lib and .dll) can be
controlled by a .DEF file (see MSDN-manual). If you export a class the order
of the member-functions are the same as the order of their definitions.

A last remark, the order of function is only interesting when you want to
late-link a dynamick library and use the index of the fuction and not the
name of the function.

Bryan Brouckaert.

Quote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible, in eVC, to stipulate where functions go
> inside the executable?  Or even the order of how the files
> are linked in?  How about external libs linked into the
> executable?  The only real experience I have with the
> linker is examining the generated map files.  I don't
> really know much about controlling the linker.  Can you
> use things like linker files in eVC?

> Thanks a bunch,
> Chris

Thu, 26 May 2005 22:10:41 GMT
 Controlling the linker and function ordering
even when late linking the actual placement or ordering in the MAP is
irrelevant when you specify the ordinal in the DEF file.

--
Steve Maillet (eMVP)
Entelechy Consulting

Fri, 27 May 2005 01:30:00 GMT

1. Changing Order Of Linker Arguments (OBJ-Files) from IDE

2. Newbie: Linker's Link order

3. Linker problem that depends on *.h include order

4. Z -order between contained controls inside a composite control

5. Quest: Setting function order...

6. partial ordering of template functions

7. what order to define struct/functions/vars?

8. the order of function expression...

9. Bit order reversal function help

10. Ordered list and function pointers

11. Strange behaviour: order of calling function

12. Insert Function for an ordered linked list