making a cE app run as a service
Author Message
 making a cE app run as a service

Is it possible to make a ce app run as a service?  if so how do I do so?

Thanks in advance

David Stockwell

Mon, 31 May 2004 03:38:30 GMT
 making a cE app run as a service
What is a service, in this context?  There are only applications in Windows
CE, really.  I guess that you could set up your DLL as a driver so that it
runs in the context of the device manager, but there's no real advantage to
that.  You can run an application on startup by adding it to the HKLM/Init
key in the registry and making the appropriate call to SignalStarted in your
code.

Paul T.

Quote:
> Is it possible to make a ce app run as a service?  if so how do I do so?

> Thanks in advance

> David Stockwell

Mon, 31 May 2004 04:05:12 GMT
 making a cE app run as a service
Just create windowless application that will be started automatically
after soft-reset. Read how to do it at:

http://www.pocketpcdn.com/articles/background.html
"Going background with window messages"

and

http://www.pocketpcdn.com/qa/run_at_startup.html
"How can I write application what will be run every time the device is
switched on?"

Is it what you need?

Vassili Philippov
MS-MVP Mobile Devices

Wed, 02 Jun 2004 01:42:41 GMT
 making a cE app run as a service
There is no service manager under Windows CE.  The closest the CE offers to
this is a DLL loaded by DEVICE.EXE.  Device.exe can be instructed to load a
DLL and call a specific entrypoint rather than attach it to the filesystem
as a stream device.  The EntryPoint and Keep settings for a driver registry
entry (typically under 'builtin') are the way to do this.  Platform SDK
documentation typically does not cover this since it is more typical for
driver and platform developers. Platform Builder should have the docs (and
MSDN may also).    The web server supplied in Platform Builder 3.0 loads
this way.

--
George Forsman

> Is it possible to make a ce app run as a service?  if so how do I do so?

> Thanks in advance

> David Stockwell

Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:13:12 GMT

1. Running eVC++ 3.0 apps on a WIndows CE 4.1 device

2. why AP compiled with CE 4.1 SDK cannot run in CE 4.0 OS

3. Converting app to run as NT Service?

4. Problem: MFC App running as an NT Service

5. running win32 apps and dos apps from a menu app

6. evc++ and building apps to run on iPAQ running PPC3.0

7. console app code breaks when in a service app

8. running app from another app

9. Run console app from within my gui app

10. Running a console app from a windows app

11. running other dos apps from a console app

12. Running console app from within a win32 app