Is Windows CE 3.0 Strong Enough To Be Used As A Server???
Author Message
 Is Windows CE 3.0 Strong Enough To Be Used As A Server???

hi,
    I've visited microsoft's embedded OS web pages, and I found ms is pay
more attention on it's CE && XP not NT, so I think since XP hasn't been
published yet, CE is the only one to be used as real-time os. Is it strong
enough for server-side, especially to be burned into rom???

Sat, 05 Jun 2004 22:10:29 GMT
 Is Windows CE 3.0 Strong Enough To Be Used As A Server???
"Strong enough" is a little vague.  What do you want to do with it and what
parameters are of concern for you?

Paul T.

Quote:
> hi,
>     I've visited microsoft's embedded OS web pages, and I found ms is pay
> more attention on it's CE && XP not NT, so I think since XP hasn't been
> published yet, CE is the only one to be used as real-time os. Is it strong
> enough for server-side, especially to be burned into rom???

Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:54:13 GMT
 Is Windows CE 3.0 Strong Enough To Be Used As A Server???
You should note that none of the OS's you have mentioned
are really real-time oses.  CE is the closest and will be
good enough for most purposes.  embedded NT is basically
an end of line product, with 3rd party real time
extensions available and embedded XP will have the same
extensions made available realatively soon.

I don't understand the link between, real-time, serverside
and burned into rom.  If you mean is CE stable, then that
depends upon your own implementation of it, and the
version you want to deploy.

Quote:

Sun, 06 Jun 2004 00:25:50 GMT
 Is Windows CE 3.0 Strong Enough To Be Used As A Server???

Quote:
> hi,
>     I've visited microsoft's embedded OS web pages, and I found ms is pay
> more attention on it's CE && XP not NT, so I think since XP hasn't been
> published yet, CE is the only one to be used as real-time os. Is it strong
> enough for server-side, especially to be burned into rom???

It is certainly strong enough to run a server but depends what performance
you expect from it. After all there are Web servers running on a 4MHz PIC
microcontroller with several hundred bytes of RAM :) I run a Win 3.1 based
server since years but I don't expect much performance from my 386SX/33
machine.

--
 Paul Chitescu

 Any spammers will be painfully squeezed into /dev/null

Sun, 06 Jun 2004 03:14:32 GMT
 Is Windows CE 3.0 Strong Enough To Be Used As A Server???

Quote:

> hi,
>     I've visited microsoft's embedded OS web pages, and I found ms is pay
> more attention on it's CE && XP not NT, so I think since XP hasn't been
> published yet, CE is the only one to be used as real-time os. Is it strong
> enough for server-side, especially to be burned into rom???

They make no claims about XP being a realtime OS, either, so if  realtime
is a requirement CE is still the choice.

Just about anything can act as a server.  What kind of load it will handle
is really the question. (and "real-time" is not a prerequisite for a server).

My own feeling about earlier versions of Window CE is they deliberately
left crippled socket code in CE so they would sell more NT server by not
giving folks the ability to build CE mini-servers.

 I don't know what capacity the latest CE has, but many parts have
improved.

Rufus

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 02:29:34 GMT

1. C# , i am trying to create a file on the server using C#

2. I am new to programming and am lost

3. Using FTP on PocketPC/Windows CE 3.0

4. PLEASE HELP: I AM NEW TO DEBUGGER (Turbo Debugger 3.0)

5. how good am I? Am I Good Enough????

6. Windows CE Web Server: Using Web Tools to Monitor and Manage Embedded Devices

7. which windows am I in?

8. Am I using realloc() incorrectly?

9. I am creating a new query using ADOX and no matter

10. Insert Using ADO/VC++: What am I missing?

11. Am I using GetDIBits correctly?

12. Problem using CHttpConnection -- what am I doing wrong?