serial communication - CE_OVERRUN error
Author Message
 serial communication - CE_OVERRUN error

Hi there
 I am developing software for Windows CE 3.0 (or Pocket PC 2002) and I
noticed some problems  with serial communications on CASIO PocketPC E-200. I
have  Socket CF serial  card plugged in into the CF slot . I noticed that I
occasionally loose data on that port. I tested that same CF Serial card  on
another Pocket PC (COMPAQ iPAQ) and everything works fine. I created a  very
simple application that only reads data from COM port and and then queries
the port for errors and even that simple application has the problem of
loosing data  on E-200(about 10% of data seems to be lost) . The error code
returned (when quering the COM port) is "CE_OVERRUN" when calling the
"ClearCommError".

I am connecting to that  port on baud rate 115200 and the amount of data
that I try to transfer is  rather very small comparing to the capability of
that speed.  I tried changing the baud rate to 57600 but the same errors
occurs.

Did anybody experience a similar problem?

 I would greatly appreciate your response.

 Thanks in advance.
 Stanley

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:55:15 GMT
 serial communication - CE_OVERRUN error
Are you using hardware handshaking?

--
Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
Entelechy Consulting

Quote:
> Hi there
>  I am developing software for Windows CE 3.0 (or Pocket PC 2002) and
> noticed some problems  with serial communications on CASIO PocketPC
E-200. I
> have  Socket CF serial  card plugged in into the CF slot . I noticed
that I
> occasionally loose data on that port. I tested that same CF Serial
card  on
> another Pocket PC (COMPAQ iPAQ) and everything works fine. I created
a  very
> simple application that only reads data from COM port and and then
queries
> the port for errors and even that simple application has the problem
of
> loosing data  on E-200(about 10% of data seems to be lost) . The
error code
> returned (when quering the COM port) is "CE_OVERRUN" when calling
the
> "ClearCommError".

> I am connecting to that  port on baud rate 115200 and the amount of
data
> that I try to transfer is  rather very small comparing to the
capability of
> that speed.  I tried changing the baud rate to 57600 but the same
errors
> occurs.

> Did anybody experience a similar problem?

>  I would greatly appreciate your response.

>  Thanks in advance.
>  Stanley

Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:12:48 GMT
 serial communication - CE_OVERRUN error
Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't since the hardware I am connecting to does not support it.

Do you think I need it to solvethe CE_OVERRUN?

Stanley

Quote:
> Are you using hardware handshaking?

> --
> Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
> Entelechy Consulting
> smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

> > Hi there
> >  I am developing software for Windows CE 3.0 (or Pocket PC 2002) and
> > noticed some problems  with serial communications on CASIO PocketPC
> E-200. I
> > have  Socket CF serial  card plugged in into the CF slot . I noticed
> that I
> > occasionally loose data on that port. I tested that same CF Serial
> card  on
> > another Pocket PC (COMPAQ iPAQ) and everything works fine. I created
> a  very
> > simple application that only reads data from COM port and and then
> queries
> > the port for errors and even that simple application has the problem
> of
> > loosing data  on E-200(about 10% of data seems to be lost) . The
> error code
> > returned (when quering the COM port) is "CE_OVERRUN" when calling
> the
> > "ClearCommError".

> > I am connecting to that  port on baud rate 115200 and the amount of
> data
> > that I try to transfer is  rather very small comparing to the
> capability of
> > that speed.  I tried changing the baud rate to 57600 but the same
> errors
> > occurs.

> > Did anybody experience a similar problem?

> >  I would greatly appreciate your response.

> >  Thanks in advance.
> >  Stanley

Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:39:47 GMT
 serial communication - CE_OVERRUN error
Yes, at 115200 you will likely overrun if there are other applications
running in the system. The serial port priority is not very high.
(Could also be a bug in the Casio driver...) Have you tested the port
with the TTY sample to make sure it's not your application causing a
problem?

--
Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
Entelechy Consulting
smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

Quote:
> Thanks for your reply.

> No, I don't since the hardware I am connecting to does not support
it.

> Do you think I need it to solvethe CE_OVERRUN?

> Stanley

> > Are you using hardware handshaking?

> > --
> > Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
> > Entelechy Consulting
> > smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

> > > Hi there
> > >  I am developing software for Windows CE 3.0 (or Pocket PC 2002)
and
> > > noticed some problems  with serial communications on CASIO
PocketPC
> > E-200. I
> > > have  Socket CF serial  card plugged in into the CF slot . I
noticed
> > that I
> > > occasionally loose data on that port. I tested that same CF
Serial
> > card  on
> > > another Pocket PC (COMPAQ iPAQ) and everything works fine. I
created
> > a  very
> > > simple application that only reads data from COM port and and
then
> > queries
> > > the port for errors and even that simple application has the
problem
> > of
> > > loosing data  on E-200(about 10% of data seems to be lost) . The
> > error code
> > > returned (when quering the COM port) is "CE_OVERRUN" when
calling
> > the
> > > "ClearCommError".

> > > I am connecting to that  port on baud rate 115200 and the amount
of
> > data
> > > that I try to transfer is  rather very small comparing to the
> > capability of
> > > that speed.  I tried changing the baud rate to 57600 but the
same
> > errors
> > > occurs.

> > > Did anybody experience a similar problem?

> > >  I would greatly appreciate your response.

> > >  Thanks in advance.
> > >  Stanley

Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:06:51 GMT
 serial communication - CE_OVERRUN error
Once again, thanks for your reply.
I don't think it is the code.  I actually created a small application that
just reads from the port and then checks for error using "ClearCommError".
I tried different combinations of setting time-out values without any
success.
You mentioned about the serial port priorities.  Do you know if it can be
boosted somehow without writing a driver (i.e. changing the registry
values)?  I tried setting the Priority256 in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\PCMCIA\Priority256 (Dword value) but either I am
doing something wrong or the serial.dll does not support this registry
entry.  Do you have any ideas?

Once again, thanx !
Stanley

Quote:
> Yes, at 115200 you will likely overrun if there are other applications
> running in the system. The serial port priority is not very high.
> (Could also be a bug in the Casio driver...) Have you tested the port
> with the TTY sample to make sure it's not your application causing a
> problem?

> --
> Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
> Entelechy Consulting
> smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

> > Thanks for your reply.

> > No, I don't since the hardware I am connecting to does not support
> it.

> > Do you think I need it to solvethe CE_OVERRUN?

> > Stanley

> > > Are you using hardware handshaking?

> > > --
> > > Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
> > > Entelechy Consulting
> > > smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

> and
> PocketPC
> > > E-200. I
> noticed
> > > that I
> Serial
> > > card  on
> created
> > > a  very
> then
> > > queries
> problem
> > > of
> > > error code
> calling
> > > the

> of
> > > data
> > > capability of
> same
> > > errors

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:58:42 GMT
 serial communication - CE_OVERRUN error
The driver may or may not support using that key - really it's up to
the individual device vendor to implement the driver and they may not
have chosen to do so.

--
Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
Entelechy Consulting
smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

Quote:
> Once again, thanks for your reply.
> I don't think it is the code.  I actually created a small
application that
> just reads from the port and then checks for error using
"ClearCommError".
> I tried different combinations of setting time-out values without
any
> success.
> You mentioned about the serial port priorities.  Do you know if it
can be
> boosted somehow without writing a driver (i.e. changing the registry
> values)?  I tried setting the Priority256 in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\PCMCIA\Priority256 (Dword value) but
either I am
> doing something wrong or the serial.dll does not support this
registry
> entry.  Do you have any ideas?

> Once again, thanx !
> Stanley

> > Yes, at 115200 you will likely overrun if there are other
applications
> > running in the system. The serial port priority is not very high.
> > (Could also be a bug in the Casio driver...) Have you tested the
port
> > with the TTY sample to make sure it's not your application causing
> > problem?

> > --
> > Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
> > Entelechy Consulting
> > smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

> > > Thanks for your reply.

> > > No, I don't since the hardware I am connecting to does not
support
> > it.

> > > Do you think I need it to solvethe CE_OVERRUN?

> > > Stanley

> > and
> > PocketPC
> > noticed
> > Serial
> > created
> > then
> > problem
The
> > calling

> > of
> > same

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:16:25 GMT

1. Serial Port Communications (Error 995) from ReadFile

2. Errors using serial communication

3. Serial Communication LineOpen error

4. Serial Communication with C#

5. Serial Communications