WinCE + DCOM ?
Author Message
 WinCE + DCOM ?

Hello !

Is it possible to create a DCOM server on a CE computer and access it from a
Windows 2000 client ?

I have a Windows CE embedded computer from R.L.C Enterprices Inc running
Windows CE 3.0. RLC claims it to support DCOM but cant help me with any
information on how to implement it, since there "experience with software
lies in the hardware interface" !

I am using Windows Embedded Visual C++ 3.0 and have tried to use the ATL COM
AppWizard project type, but it only shows the DLL server type (in process
COM object). To be able to create a DCOM server I would like to be able to
create a EXE server type (out of process) and a proxy/stub DLL for the
server and client side. Register it on the server and client and then use
the DCOMCNFG tool to point the client to the correct location

Any hints or ideas?

Any books dealing with this topic ?

Many thanks in advance,

Magnus Aronsson.

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:33:10 GMT
 WinCE + DCOM ?
EVC 3.0 wizards don't  have support for creating an out of proc COM
Server. However you can generate one with the desktop VC6 (NOT VC7)
and copy the files to an EVC project or just manually create the
basics yourself. (You could also get eVC4 and have it generate the
basic files then put them into your eVC3 project)

--
Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
Entelechy Consulting

Quote:
> Hello !

> Is it possible to create a DCOM server on a CE computer and access
it from a
> Windows 2000 client ?

> I have a Windows CE embedded computer from R.L.C Enterprices Inc
running
> Windows CE 3.0. RLC claims it to support DCOM but cant help me with
any
> information on how to implement it, since there "experience with
software
> lies in the hardware interface" !

> I am using Windows Embedded Visual C++ 3.0 and have tried to use the
ATL COM
> AppWizard project type, but it only shows the DLL server type (in
process
> COM object). To be able to create a DCOM server I would like to be
able to
> create a EXE server type (out of process) and a proxy/stub DLL for
the
> server and client side. Register it on the server and client and
then use
> the DCOMCNFG tool to point the client to the correct location

> Any hints or ideas?

> Any books dealing with this topic ?

> Many thanks in advance,

> Magnus Aronsson.

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:39:24 GMT
 WinCE + DCOM ?
I've done the stuff that Steve describes and it does all seem to work, but
there doesn't seem to be a means to make that interface available to remote
DCOM clients.  That is, on the desktop, there's a program which you run and
set up to launch the server object when a remote client creates an instance
of it; I don't see that for Windows CE 3.0...

Paul T.

Quote:
> EVC 3.0 wizards don't  have support for creating an out of proc COM
> Server. However you can generate one with the desktop VC6 (NOT VC7)
> and copy the files to an EVC project or just manually create the
> basics yourself. (You could also get eVC4 and have it generate the
> basic files then put them into your eVC3 project)

> --
> Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
> Entelechy Consulting
> smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

> > Hello !

> > Is it possible to create a DCOM server on a CE computer and access
> it from a
> > Windows 2000 client ?

> > I have a Windows CE embedded computer from R.L.C Enterprices Inc
> running
> > Windows CE 3.0. RLC claims it to support DCOM but cant help me with
> any
> > information on how to implement it, since there "experience with
> software
> > lies in the hardware interface" !

> > I am using Windows Embedded Visual C++ 3.0 and have tried to use the
> ATL COM
> > AppWizard project type, but it only shows the DLL server type (in
> process
> > COM object). To be able to create a DCOM server I would like to be
> able to
> > create a EXE server type (out of process) and a proxy/stub DLL for
> the
> > server and client side. Register it on the server and client and
> then use
> > the DCOMCNFG tool to point the client to the correct location

> > Any hints or ideas?

> > Any books dealing with this topic ?

> > Many thanks in advance,

> > Magnus Aronsson.

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 03:12:25 GMT
 WinCE + DCOM ?
Huh? Which program are you talking about and where does it run? There
is a version of DCOM Config for both CE and the desktop. Don't forget
that to access a CE component you will need a ProxyStub DLL built for
the DESKTOP or make sure all of your interfaces are compatible with
the standard marshaller or nothing will ever get to your server on the
CE device.

--
Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
Entelechy Consulting
smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

Quote:
> I've done the stuff that Steve describes and it does all seem to
work, but
> there doesn't seem to be a means to make that interface available to
remote
> DCOM clients.  That is, on the desktop, there's a program which you
run and
> set up to launch the server object when a remote client creates an
instance
> of it; I don't see that for Windows CE 3.0...

> Paul T.

message

> > EVC 3.0 wizards don't  have support for creating an out of proc
COM
> > Server. However you can generate one with the desktop VC6 (NOT
VC7)
> > and copy the files to an EVC project or just manually create the
> > basics yourself. (You could also get eVC4 and have it generate the
> > basic files then put them into your eVC3 project)

> > --
> > Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
> > Entelechy Consulting
> > smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

message

> > > Hello !

> > > Is it possible to create a DCOM server on a CE computer and
access
> > it from a
> > > Windows 2000 client ?

> > > I have a Windows CE embedded computer from R.L.C Enterprices Inc
> > running
> > > Windows CE 3.0. RLC claims it to support DCOM but cant help me
with
> > any
> > > information on how to implement it, since there "experience with
> > software
> > > lies in the hardware interface" !

> > > I am using Windows Embedded Visual C++ 3.0 and have tried to use
the
> > ATL COM
> > > AppWizard project type, but it only shows the DLL server type
(in
> > process
> > > COM object). To be able to create a DCOM server I would like to
be
> > able to
> > > create a EXE server type (out of process) and a proxy/stub DLL
for
> > the
> > > server and client side. Register it on the server and client and
> > then use
> > > the DCOMCNFG tool to point the client to the correct location

> > > Any hints or ideas?

> > > Any books dealing with this topic ?

> > > Many thanks in advance,

> > > Magnus Aronsson.

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 04:16:50 GMT
 WinCE + DCOM ?
DCOM Config did not seem to work for me.  Must it continue to run for the
device to act as a server to remote clients or is there a driver component
that does the real work, with DCOM Config just doing the configuration?

This isn't a big use of our device, so I didn't run it to ground, but I was
able to use the client program I had on the PC with another PC as the DCOM
server, but not when the CE device was the DCOM server.  The stub was
properly registered, best I could tell, on the CE device.  The custom
interface I built had a single method with no parameters that returned a
4-byte integer...

Paul T.

Quote:
> Huh? Which program are you talking about and where does it run? There
> is a version of DCOM Config for both CE and the desktop. Don't forget
> that to access a CE component you will need a ProxyStub DLL built for
> the DESKTOP or make sure all of your interfaces are compatible with
> the standard marshaller or nothing will ever get to your server on the
> CE device.

> --
> Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
> Entelechy Consulting
> smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

> > I've done the stuff that Steve describes and it does all seem to
> work, but
> > there doesn't seem to be a means to make that interface available to
> remote
> > DCOM clients.  That is, on the desktop, there's a program which you
> run and
> > set up to launch the server object when a remote client creates an
> instance
> > of it; I don't see that for Windows CE 3.0...

> > Paul T.

> message

> > > EVC 3.0 wizards don't  have support for creating an out of proc
> COM
> > > Server. However you can generate one with the desktop VC6 (NOT
> VC7)
> > > and copy the files to an EVC project or just manually create the
> > > basics yourself. (You could also get eVC4 and have it generate the
> > > basic files then put them into your eVC3 project)

> > > --
> > > Steve Maillet (eMVP - Windows CE)
> > > Entelechy Consulting
> > > smaillet_EntelechyConsulting_Com

> message

> access
> > > it from a

> > > running
> with
> > > any

> > > software

> the
> > > ATL COM
> (in
> > > process
> be
> > > able to
> for
> > > the
> > > then use

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 05:04:38 GMT

1. Support of DCOM in WinCE

2. DCOM and GENIE under WinCE 3.0

3. DCOM out of process under WinCE 3.0

4. WinCE 3.0 vs. WinCE 4.0 (SDK)

5. MFC and WinCE?? WinCE??

6. Build COM servers with vc++.net for WinCE?

7. ATL and WinCE?

8. WinCE "OK"

9. WinCE toolkit for Visual c++...

10. JPG file into my program in WinCE????

11. VC++6 for WinCE

12. WinCE and writing formated data to file.