Programming non-standard serial baud rates on 3800 PPC 2002 + eVC3
Author Message
 Programming non-standard serial baud rates on 3800 PPC 2002 + eVC3

I'm trying to develop a program using eVC3 for my 3800
with Pocket PC 2002 that will communicate over the serial
interface (com1) of the ipaq at a baud rate of 1983 baud
(2000 baud would probably be close enough) as it needs to
communicate with a non-standard serial device.
I've found that while I can do this successfully on my PC
(under XP) via the setcommstate fuction passing DCB.baud =
1983, it will communicate successfully at the non-standard
baud rate.

However, when I do the same on my ipaq (developing using
eVC3), it appears to round up to the nearest standard baud
rate (2400), so while I request 1983, it actually connects
me at 2400, there is no error returned by the setcommstate.

Does anyone know if this is a limitation on the UART in
the IPAQ (limited number of clock dividers, or clock
resolution), or is my baud rate being kludged by the
pocket PC serial driver, and not making it to the
hardware ?

Does anyone know of a way to program the UART on the IPAQ
directly ?

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:13:37 GMT
 Programming non-standard serial baud rates on 3800 PPC 2002 + eVC3
Hello,

I think that you can not do this by software.
I think you need some hardware for converting this
baud rate

Christoph Eisenmann
Bangkok, Thailand

Quote:
=
>1983, it will communicate successfully at the non-
standard
>baud rate.

>However, when I do the same on my ipaq (developing using
>eVC3), it appears to round up to the nearest standard
baud
>rate (2400), so while I request 1983, it actually
connects
>me at 2400, there is no error returned by the
setcommstate.

>Does anyone know if this is a limitation on the UART in
>the IPAQ (limited number of clock dividers, or clock
>resolution), or is my baud rate being kludged by the
>pocket PC serial driver, and not making it to the
>hardware ?

>Does anyone know of a way to program the UART on the IPAQ
>directly ?

>.

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:44:57 GMT
 Programming non-standard serial baud rates on 3800 PPC 2002 + eVC3
It appears to me that you should be able to specify 2000 as the baud rate,
but that the driver will reject an attempt to set it to 1983.  I believe
that your attempt to set the baud rate should return an error code, in this
case.

Paul T.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I think that you can not do this by software.
> I think you need some hardware for converting this
> baud rate

> Christoph Eisenmann
> Bangkok, Thailand

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:47:58 GMT

1. Non-standard serial port baud rates on NT

2. Baud Rate and Interrupt from the serial port

3. Set serial baud port rate beyond 115200

4. compiling PPC 2000 COM DLLs on PPC 2002

5. Menu bar works with PPC 2002 but NOT with PPC 2000 device

6. Unwanted selection in CEdit of CDialog (PPC 2002)

7. Copying files to emulater (PPC 2002)

8. PPC 2002 SDK problems

9. New Notification API in PPC 2002

10. save image for emulator of PPC 2002

11. PPC 2002 SDK Manual Installation

12. CE Database in Emulation for PPC 2002