using PC/104 serial expansion board with WinCE, 4 serial ports total
Author Message
 using PC/104 serial expansion board with WinCE, 4 serial ports total

Hi everyone,

I am not yet developing with CE, but am considering it for an embedded,
screen-less, automation application that we have. We will be using a PC/104
computer with 2 onboard serial ports, but since the application needs 4
ports we will use a serial expansion card. The serial expansion card we have
in mind has a setting that states "dos" or "winnt/98" modes, but otherwise I
can't find any specific "supports CE" mentions on any board of this type.

I asked the vendor about using the expansion board to use 4 serial ports
under CE and got a response about them making a special CE (3.0 I think)
image to make it work (and charging a non-recurring engineering fee too..).

I would think that something as powerful as CE would have the ability to
easily access 4 serial ports without much customization. Is this more a
problem of building the right image using platform builder, or might it
require writing some "custom drivers"?

Thanks!
Brett

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 05:51:39 GMT
 using PC/104 serial expansion board with WinCE, 4 serial ports total
That depends on the board's characteristics.  There are no serial drivers in
CE that are set up to handle sharing of interrupts between ports (which is
quite likely on any four-port card).  If the interrupts are not shared, you
may be able to just use a couple of extra registry entries to add support
for the new ports.

Paul T.

Quote:
> Hi everyone,

> I am not yet developing with CE, but am considering it for an embedded,
> screen-less, automation application that we have. We will be using a
PC/104
> computer with 2 onboard serial ports, but since the application needs 4
> ports we will use a serial expansion card. The serial expansion card we
have
> in mind has a setting that states "dos" or "winnt/98" modes, but otherwise
> can't find any specific "supports CE" mentions on any board of this type.

> I asked the vendor about using the expansion board to use 4 serial ports
> under CE and got a response about them making a special CE (3.0 I think)
> image to make it work (and charging a non-recurring engineering fee
too..).

> I would think that something as powerful as CE would have the ability to
> easily access 4 serial ports without much customization. Is this more a
> problem of building the right image using platform builder, or might it
> require writing some "custom drivers"?

> Thanks!
> Brett

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:20:42 GMT
 using PC/104 serial expansion board with WinCE, 4 serial ports total
Thanks for the response, Paul.

I don't know if I have extra interrupts to dedicate to the extra ports, but
I might be able to free up some manually for this application. The board
does support individual interrupts for each of the ports, but is
configurable to share IRQ's also.

I've never done much with registry entries before, is that a pretty simple
process? Do you know of any documentation on how I would do that, I have the
MSDN installed? (Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie in CE)

Thanks!
Brett

Quote:
> That depends on the board's characteristics.  There are no serial drivers
in
> CE that are set up to handle sharing of interrupts between ports (which is
> quite likely on any four-port card).  If the interrupts are not shared,
you
> may be able to just use a couple of extra registry entries to add support
> for the new ports.

> Paul T.

> > Hi everyone,

> > I am not yet developing with CE, but am considering it for an embedded,
> > screen-less, automation application that we have. We will be using a
> PC/104
> > computer with 2 onboard serial ports, but since the application needs 4
> > ports we will use a serial expansion card. The serial expansion card we
> have
> > in mind has a setting that states "dos" or "winnt/98" modes, but
otherwise
> > can't find any specific "supports CE" mentions on any board of this
type.

> > I asked the vendor about using the expansion board to use 4 serial ports
> > under CE and got a response about them making a special CE (3.0 I think)
> > image to make it work (and charging a non-recurring engineering fee
> too..).

> > I would think that something as powerful as CE would have the ability to
> > easily access 4 serial ports without much customization. Is this more a
> > problem of building the right image using platform builder, or might it
> > require writing some "custom drivers"?

> > Thanks!
> > Brett

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:39:45 GMT
 using PC/104 serial expansion board with WinCE, 4 serial ports total
You can use the Remote Registry Editor from eVC, assuming your device has
persistent registry capability.  You'd copy the entries for
HKLM/Drivers/BuiltIn/Serial which refer to the serial port, creating
HKLM/Drivers/BuiltIn/Serial3, Serial4, Serial5, etc. (assuming you already
have Serial and Serial2 for COM1 and COM2).  You'd change the IoBase address
to match the corresponding port's base address on the PC/104 board, and the
Irq entries to match the IRQ for each port (*definitely* set up the ports to
use their own interrupts).  You would also change the value of the Order key
so that COM1 will have Order of 0, COM2 Order of 1, COM3 order of 2, etc.  I
think that's it.

Once you've changed the registry, do whatever the OEM tells you to do to
persist the registry, then do a hard reset and the drivers should be loaded.
After the system is rebooted, return to Remote Registry Editor and check
HKLM/Drivers/Active for entries for the new serial ports.   If they are
there, the Device Manager thinks they are working and you can write a
program to open each one and try it out.

Paul T.

Quote:
> Thanks for the response, Paul.

> I don't know if I have extra interrupts to dedicate to the extra ports,
but
> I might be able to free up some manually for this application. The board
> does support individual interrupts for each of the ports, but is
> configurable to share IRQ's also.

> I've never done much with registry entries before, is that a pretty simple
> process? Do you know of any documentation on how I would do that, I have
the
> MSDN installed? (Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie in CE)

> Thanks!
> Brett

> > That depends on the board's characteristics.  There are no serial
drivers
> in
> > CE that are set up to handle sharing of interrupts between ports (which
is
> > quite likely on any four-port card).  If the interrupts are not shared,
> you
> > may be able to just use a couple of extra registry entries to add
support
> > for the new ports.

> > Paul T.

> > > Hi everyone,

> > > I am not yet developing with CE, but am considering it for an
embedded,
> > > screen-less, automation application that we have. We will be using a
> > PC/104
> > > computer with 2 onboard serial ports, but since the application needs
4
> > > ports we will use a serial expansion card. The serial expansion card
we
> > have
> > > in mind has a setting that states "dos" or "winnt/98" modes, but
> otherwise
> > > can't find any specific "supports CE" mentions on any board of this
> type.

> > > I asked the vendor about using the expansion board to use 4 serial
ports
> > > under CE and got a response about them making a special CE (3.0 I
think)
> > > image to make it work (and charging a non-recurring engineering fee
> > too..).

> > > I would think that something as powerful as CE would have the ability
> > > easily access 4 serial ports without much customization. Is this more
> > > problem of building the right image using platform builder, or might
it
> > > require writing some "custom drivers"?

> > > Thanks!
> > > Brett

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:46:18 GMT

1. System Tray ICON for Serial PC card: uses standard serial driver

2. Serial port to serial port copying software

3. Challenge: Virtual serial ports from real serial port

4. Serial Port on WinCE 3.0

5. C program through PC-104 to control the AD

6. PC-104 embedded development.

7. information on programming a PC's serial port

8. Write and Read on Serial Port of PC

9. Serial Port access on a PC from Borland C 4.5

10. Source for serial port for PC

11. DOS C code needed to control a standard serial port on a PC

12. DOS C code needed to program serial port of PC